Light-O-Rama Forums

Easiest way to convert regular to RGB?

xrays911

I have a set of 12 mini trees that have always been regular incandescent light and therefore have been sequenced to work with regular 16 channel LOR boxes for all of my songs. This year we will be converting those trees to RGB. For those of you who have done this, Is there an easy way to change my sequences over to RGB?

One option in SE would be to add new devices (right click on one of your left column channel name). You select the new device (controller) you are addin g and whether they are rgb or non-rgb channels.

Once you've added new controller and empty rgb channels, you then copy and paste each of your old 16 channel into a new rgb channel you just setup.

Dumb RGB or smart RGB?

Sorry "Smart" RGB. I would like to replicate what I have and then start altering it to take advantage of the smart pixels.

If you were switching to dumb RGB, there's a doable process of copying the sequencing from your standard mini trees to the RGB models.

Switching to smart pixels is a totally different thing. I know of no easy or effective way to convert your single-color sequencing to smart pixels. IMO, your best bet is to start from scratch.

Edited by George Simmons

One way is to start over. It will look better because you will program different with pixels than you did with strings.

But....If you want your trees to look like they previously did but with rgb instead of incandescent lights, there might be a way to do this.

If, you have just the red, green, blue and white incandescent lights, then in the sequencer you will be able to do what mpageler suggests and just copy those lines into your new rgb created lines. White of course would have to be all 3 lines. So to make this work, you would have to go back to the white areas and manuall fill in red, green and blue.

Unfortunately, after all this work, this will only be pixel 1. So you would then need to copy and paste this one pixel for each pixel of the tree. Repeat this for all trees.

Advantages and disadvantages to the above. Pixels are nice to be able to program individually. Other than the twinkle effect, this will treat the entire tree as one single dumb rgb. Easy to program but it will only be the one color shown for the entire tree. Of course twinkle will be random bulbs....and twinkle white will be random bulbs and colors. Very nice effects.

Now, this may seem too time consuming....but copy paste of a whole row from 1 pixel to all of them will be much much faster than re doing the entire sequence over imho. After you get 10 rows done you can copy and paste 10 at a time.

Obviously if you want other colors then you will have to try to figure a way to do that that will save time. Manipulating the 3 rgb colors is possible but harder and more time consuming to get your exact color. The color fade tool is much better.

But, as I add pixels to my previous dumb rgb elements I use this technique to get a little more mileage from my old sequences until I can get back to make a new sequence of it. Problem for me is I am not too excited to redo old songs. So this allows me to keep them going.

You could copy it and treat them as dumb RGB for parts then change them for smart where you think it would look better.