Light-O-Rama Forums

Can i use LOR S3 to sequence RGB Pixel Arches?

Big Sanch Mafia

I've played a bit with Superstar and Xlights but it seems they mostly focus on Pixel trees and matrixs. Arches don't have as many options so im thinking i can use LOR S3 to sequence??

is this correct thinking? outside of setting up my universes, i just want to play around with sequencing arches and wondering if this makes sense.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice

Chad

Yes you can.  I made 4 pixel arches last year and that's all I used to sequence mine.  It's pretty eazy.  Pick a color and chase just like you would a 7 ch arch. 

Choose a different amount of pixels for different effects and lengths of chase.

I have to dis-agree on Superstar being for trees and a matrix. I sequence everything in my display with SS.

I do agree however, that it's not really needed for arches. They're pretty simple to program. It is a lot faster in SS though.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

As far as Xlights you can do a ton of different effects with Arch's as well...let me know if you have any question's be glad to help out 

I agree with Redman 100%. Sequencing pixel arches with S3 is very doable and easier than you might think.

Superstar makes all programming easier and faster.  Morphs for your arches can get you your effects in seconds.  Timing perfect etc. much much easier than the Sequencer by using the nudge tools.

I don't have any matrixes or pixel trees at all.  Superstar is my tool of choice for all sequencing.

Yes, you can do it all in the sequencer.  You can also ride your horse to work.....but why when a car is much easier and faster.  :P

In other words either way works. I used both Super Star &/ or the Lor Sequencer to do my ccp arches. 

In other words either way works. I used both Super Star &/ or the Lor Sequencer to do my ccp arches. 

Yep

I loved the way my arches came out in SS; but I've never just used S3 to do pixels; however, I'm going to try to learn how to do it with S3; George is offering an online class that would be helpful

SS seems very difficult too grasp. I do all mine in S3. Please persuade me too see into the future and learn SS.

@ vince

For me the key to making SS easy is having a good Visualizer file. Try making just one prop in visualizer (both a Real and Row file) and import them into SS. Or just make a prop with Tools - Layout within SS snd give it a go. Start small and once you understand the program add more props. If you get some flashy light sequences you like, save the file and import them into another song later. I like the instant viewing of a sequence by just pressing the play button. I have found overlaying effects (depending on the props) makes some visuals you might like.  For CCR's and CCP's I only use SS. I suppose I could do it in SE, but I have figured SS out and it cuts my sequencing time dramaticly. Those who are very familiar with SE could say the same.

Also there are some good tutorials for SS.

I have to dis-agree on Superstar being for trees and a matrix. I sequence everything in my display with SS.

I do agree however, that it's not really needed for arches. They're pretty simple to program. It is a lot faster in SS though.

Just my thoughts.

Ron,

I know you preach this and you have helped me in the past. i guess i just need to dive in and create my visualization in SS. I tried importing the one i have always used in S3 and it doesn't seems to work out. Ive watched a ton of videos and read post, i just cant seem to figure out where to begin in SS.

I did my pixel arches in SS last year, they came out great. 

if you don't mind, would you be willing to share your file so i can dissect it. i don't plan on using it, just learning from it.

Thanks

@ vince

For me the key to making SS easy is having a good Visualizer file. Try making just one prop in visualizer (both a Real and Row file) and import them into SS. Or just make a prop with Tools - Layout within SS snd give it a go. Start small and once you understand the program add more props. If you get some flashy light sequences you like, save the file and import them into another song later. I like the instant viewing of a sequence by just pressing the play button. I have found overlaying effects (depending on the props) makes some visuals you might like.  For CCR's and CCP's I only use SS. I suppose I could do it in SE, but I have figured SS out and it cuts my sequencing time dramaticly. Those who are very familiar with SE could say the same.

Also there are some good tutorials for SS.

Good points there, thanks for the advice. Sving some extra time would be nice.  any tutorials you recommend. I've watched most of the ones on the LOR site but cant seem to find one that starts you at step one.

I used these videos to learn the basics of SS. http://www.superstarlights.com/Software/Videos.php I know these show a mega tree, but they are really good at explaining how SS works. Presently I don't use DMX so I can't help with visualizations files.

Whan I made my Pixel Spinner as per this thread http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/35203-pixel-spinner-cosmic-color-pixels/ I was asked by a few people how I sequenced for it. I made a video thats shows the basic of how I go about creating effects. If your interested it's here. https://vimeo.com/119401733 Most of it shows basic SS stuff  but it's something other than a mega tree. I screw up alot and call sequences "files", left arrow when it should be right etc... :)

I also have the visualization files for the pixel spinner that I used in the video both the real and row files. Let me know and I'll email them to you. You can look them in Visualizer also to maybe help you create your arches.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lqz862aamobebmu/AADkuJzHcY9A0gNnIGC4ioIfa?dl=0

Here is the most popular song from last year.

In this folder you will find the Row and Real visualization. When  importing, 

• select "File"
  • Import Visualization Pair
  • Point to this folder and Row on top and Real on bottom
  • Select "Use Row Visualization while applying standard effects"
  • Max Length-->50
  • Vertical
  • Normal

Once Imported into SS

• Select "Tools"
  • Configuration
  • OK
  • At the top, select "Export Raw Color Values"
  • Star In Use-->No
  • Unit Id 01
  • Standard Network-->01>>F0

I did not include the music since a bunch of people did this sequence last year, so most folks should have it.

I used the SS keywords in the visualization files to set up the grid. You can go into each .lee file, open up a prop and see how it's done. The keywords are in the "Comments" section.

I also included the .lms file for whomever has SS but does not have the license to cover this many pixels. You'll need at least a 24 CCR version to export the file.

I would also like to say, when using SS, whatever elements you are sequencing at the time, you can see the effect in real time. Create an effect, click the play button and you can see it now. In the sequence editor you can do the same thing, but two windows need to be opened, Sequence Editor and Visualizer. No problem, but that depends on your PC and how much memory the machine and video card has.

I put these files in a share folder, so my original is still separate. 

***So that anyone may see this that cares to peek at it, I just ask that you download it before using it*** This way, it will be intact for everybody who would like to see it.

I don't mind how you use it, you can use it as is, copy and paste, or modify it to your display. 

The candy canes have 25 pixels each, Windows have 50 each, the 4 middle arches 25, the Quad arch to the left have 20, 30, 40 and 50, the spiral trees have 50, (smart pixels)

The Holdman Star has 3 sections and the mini trees and stars 8 and 8. All of these are Basic nodes, (dumb pixels)

Hope this will help someone.

I used these videos to learn the basics of SS. http://www.superstarlights.com/Software/Videos.php I know these show a mega tree, but they are really good at explaining how SS works. Presently I don't use DMX so I can't help with visualizations files.

Whan I made my Pixel Spinner as per this thread http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/35203-pixel-spinner-cosmic-color-pixels/ I was asked by a few people how I sequenced for it. I made a video thats shows the basic of how I go about creating effects. If your interested it's here. https://vimeo.com/119401733 Most of it shows basic SS stuff  but it's something other than a mega tree. I screw up alot and call sequences "files", left arrow when it should be right etc... :)

I also have the visualization files for the pixel spinner that I used in the video both the real and row files. Let me know and I'll email them to you. You can look them in Visualizer also to maybe help you create your arches.

Thanks for the links and videos, i appreciate you sharing. I would love to check out your viz file. please send it to yourgridironfix at g mail dot com

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lqz862aamobebmu/AADkuJzHcY9A0gNnIGC4ioIfa?dl=0

Here is the most popular song from last year.

In this folder you will find the Row and Real visualization. When  importing, 

• select "File"
  • Import Visualization Pair
  • Point to this folder and Row on top and Real on bottom
  • Select "Use Row Visualization while applying standard effects"
  • Max Length-->50
  • Vertical
  • Normal

Once Imported into SS

• Select "Tools"
  • Configuration
  • OK
  • At the top, select "Export Raw Color Values"
  • Star In Use-->No
  • Unit Id 01
  • Standard Network-->01>>F0

I did not include the music since a bunch of people did this sequence last year, so most folks should have it.

I used the SS keywords in the visualization files to set up the grid. You can go into each .lee file, open up a prop and see how it's done. The keywords are in the "Comments" section.

I also included the .lms file for whomever has SS but does not have the license to cover this many pixels. You'll need at least a 24 CCR version to export the file.

I would also like to say, when using SS, whatever elements you are sequencing at the time, you can see the effect in real time. Create an effect, click the play button and you can see it now. In the sequence editor you can do the same thing, but two windows need to be opened, Sequence Editor and Visualizer. No problem, but that depends on your PC and how much memory the machine and video card has.

I put these files in a share folder, so my original is still separate. 

***So that anyone may see this that cares to peek at it, I just ask that you download it before using it*** This way, it will be intact for everybody who would like to see it.

I don't mind how you use it, you can use it as is, copy and paste, or modify it to your display. 

The candy canes have 25 pixels each, Windows have 50 each, the 4 middle arches 25, the Quad arch to the left have 20, 30, 40 and 50, the spiral trees have 50, (smart pixels)

The Holdman Star has 3 sections and the mini trees and stars 8 and 8. All of these are Basic nodes, (dumb pixels)

Hope this will help someone.

Ron,

this is great, i appreciate you taking the time to set this up and share it. it will help me a great amount. i just down loaded it and will play around with it later tonight. I'm sure I'll have a another question or two and will post after i follow your instructions. 

Thanks again Chad

wmilkie, on 04 Mar 2015 - 06:31 AM, said:snapback.png

I did my pixel arches in SS last year, they came out great. 

if you don't mind, would you be willing to share your file so i can dissect it. i don't plan on using it, just learning from it.

Thanks

I'll try and send a couple of SS examples for arches tonight