Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to buy

DerrickHoffland

I will probably make the leap to incorporating DMX into my show next year. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as where to get descent DMX lighting components that won't break the bank. I would probably be most interested in moving spots, lasers, and the like.

Also, is this stuff usually outdoor rated, or do you need to enclose them. I am concerned as most of my display for this year in currently encased in a block of ice due to the freezing rain and snow we have had.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi,

We will be carrying a line of DMX controllers next year. We thing that the prices will be competive. Also we plan to test the units for outdoor use and let people know how they stand up. (This will mostly be a cold temp test unless the unit is specifically rated for outdoor use in which case we will give it a real outdoor test).

Dan

DerrickHoffland wrote:

I will probably make the leap to incorporating DMX into my show next year. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as where to get descent DMX lighting components that won't break the bank. I would probably be most interested in moving spots, lasers, and the like.

Also, is this stuff usually outdoor rated, or do you need to enclose them. I am concerned as most of my display for this year in currently encased in a block of ice due to the freezing rain and snow we have had.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You read my mind...

Same answers I'm looking for...

I have used cheaplights. Their prices are great. If you are looking to get your lights in a hurry, they are slow to ship you the items. Also, it may take more than two weeks to get an exchange on something broken. But if you order in the summer, they are worth it IMO! I got an Intimidator 1.2 for only $15 more than I paid for my 1.0

My coworker that uses DMX for his entire display uses dimmer packs from cheaplights.com. He keeps them in large rubbermaid tubs out near the displays, and has had no issues with cold temps.

Of course if Dan is selling them at competitive prices I'd say give him the business first...

-Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

randallr wrote:

I find the item I want, like the new Chauvet min Spot, then go on Ebay and find the best deal.

For more expensive items, I will second this. Auctions are a pain, but I got a moving head light brand new for 60% off retail just because noone bid it too high. For smaller items that are $100 or $200, eBay might not do so well unless you are buying a quantity. Also, don't forget you can email sellers to wheel and deal, especially if you are buying quantities like 4 or 6. This is especially useful for items like house colorwashes where you need several. A lot of times, you'll find a seller that will give you a killer price to get the sale especially since the "buy it now" auctions tend to be overflated. Email the 10 or 15 sellers that are selling the product you want...you must just find that diamond in the rough.

I have used these web sites in the past.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lighting---Stage-Effects-DJ---Lighting.gc

I have spent THOUSANDS of $$$$ at my local Guitar Center store, and on their web site store.

I can't say enough about Guitar Center, I have baught guitars, amps, drum equipment, and lighting from them.

If you can find a local Guitar Center store in your area, I would take that route because you can have the sales people demo the lights that you are interested in.

and

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/effect-club-lighting-dj-equipment?N=100001+305017

I have a friend that buys from Muscians Friend and has had great purchases from them.

• 2 months later...

Most moving lights are not outdoor rated, though they are usually used outside. if you keep them dry and out of any source of moisture, most will hold up ok. just make sure you clean and inspect the circuit boards for corosion.

• 1 month later...

Are any of the LOR DMX items going to be available for the June sale? I need to start with DMX early if I am going to get into it. Also, any word on what type of units (i.e. moving heads, scanners, par cans, etc.) may be offered by LOR?

beardedbil wrote:

Cheaplights.com

Have used them religiously for our haunted attraction, great customer service and lights that wont break the bank including DMX...

Nice prices on "generic" amps too. A dollar a watt/channel for a rack-mount amp with clean output ain't too shabby.

http://www.cheaplights.com/cart/page63.html

• The topic was locked