Light-O-Rama Forums

E1.31 effective distance

BlackwolfK9

Yes....everything (Nano's and controllers) on the same Network. It worked fine before. I was going to check to see if somehow it lost its configuration and went back to default but 3am was my cut off time.

Yes....everything (Nano's and controllers) on the same Network. It worked fine before. I was going to check to see if somehow it lost its configuration and went back to default but 3am was my cut off time.

Yeah, I saw it worked fine before.. was just a stab in the dark incase something didn't get saved or lost its mind..

Craig

Wouldn't the long board you showed me at the Sacramento meeting work for Kevin in this situation?

aahh.. I don't remember what I showed you... I am old ya know..

I was able to login the receiver unit again today. But can not get past that point. Once the replace unit arrives, we'll see what happens.

Just to understand, using the Ubiquiti devices precludes having to run cables to ethernet switches all over the place?

It is like a single wireless cable for Ethernet.   You still have to distribute the signal.. so you still need switches and so on.. but the Ubiquiti will allow you the same as a single cable run thousands of feet or shorter of course.  I use one to get from my house eves to the front yard.  I still have to put a switch in the yard to connect the other devices. 

Just to understand, using the Ubiquiti devices precludes having to run cables to ethernet switches all over the place?

To clarify a bit.  Kevin needed to get ethernet about a quarter mile.  This could have been done with multiple switches provided there was a cable route available (there was), and power and shelter (both from weather and security).  The other viable alternative would be to use fiber optic cable.  This would also require physical access for a cable route, but no intermediate switches.  He is using a Ubiquiti 5 GHz microwave path (largely on my recommendation) from where the computer is to where the E1.31 controllers are.  This is not a viable alternative for getting ethernet to multiple places in your yard - but would work to get across a street where yo have no ability to run a cable.

To clarify a bit.  Kevin needed to get ethernet about a quarter mile.  This could have been done with multiple switches provided there was a cable route available (there was), and power and shelter (both from weather and security).  The other viable alternative would be to use fiber optic cable.  This would also require physical access for a cable route, but no intermediate switches.  He is using a Ubiquiti 5 GHz microwave path (largely on my recommendation) from where the computer is to where the E1.31 controllers are.  This is not a viable alternative for getting ethernet to multiple places in your yard - but would work to get across a street where yo have no ability to run a cable.

Actually it can easily be a viable alternative for multiple places in your yard.. either the way I do it with an M5 and a switch or you could use something like a Rocket and several smaller receivers like the Nano.. It is an expensive way to get a few feet, but sometimes that is the only way to cross certain areas.

Yes, it can be done, but it's a rather expensive way to accomplish what reasonably normal WiFi could have done.

Jim,  I had a problem with WiFi bridged.. worked well with only a router and an AP.. when I added another AP it would sometimes stop and play catch up.  Was very annoying.  But with only one AP.. worked pretty good.. and like you said, WAY less money..

Still working like a champ!! Purchased a couple more units as backup. Pushing 9000+ channels with no problem or lag. Thanks Jim for the suggestion and help.

• 1 month later...

May be depending what Ubiquity. And how they are configured. I tried the Unify to stream E1.31 from my iPad - absolutely no luck. However I us d a dedicated SSID/VLAN and tracking it showed that the latency on the main SSID was around 3ms (acceptable) and on the second one was never below 60ms which makes multicast fail. I also noticed that they sometimes still show good signal but transfer absolutely no data. But that was on Unify. No experience with the Nano. What I heard they are a lot better.

If you need real distance - how about monoxide fiber? You could go for miles...

Also: as long as you have a switch every 300ft you can cascade several of them to get distance.