Light-O-Rama Forums

Sneak Peak of LOR SW Updates - Pixel Editor

jstorms

LOR went to an open beta system a few years ago.

When the beta is released, anyone will be able to test it out.

Doesn't your license still have to support the current beta version?    Or are the betas fully functional without the need of a license?

I used to beta test software many, many years ago and most were wide open, didn't require registration or licenses, some had to be registered, but no license.

Just wondering how the LOR Beta software is set up.

Just know my current license supports up to version 3.8.2 {plan to upgrade later down the road}, and I'm sure the Beta version is far past what my current version is now.

Just kind of figure it's pointless to download a beta if your current licensing doesn't support it, if it's required/needed.

Edited by Orville

License would have to support it. (99.99% sure on that one.)

Thanks Don.   That's what I thought too, but there may have been others thinking along the same lines about how the beta versions worked.   And I know there are still a few of us out here that are using older versions than I am or other versions that their license may not work with the beta versions.

Would hate for someone to download a beta and then find out they couldn't really "test drive" all its features to see how everything worked, or worse d/l a beta version and mess up their system and maybe not have the experience on how to correct or go back before they tried it.

That's why I asked, not only for myself, but for clarity to anyone else that was thinking of d/l'ing it and trying it out.

So the key factor is make sure your license supports any version you want to use, including the beta's.  Always better to be safe and know, than not and have problems later.

Thanks again Don for letting us all know.

Oh I know. I keep checking the forums every couple of mins.

WAITING!!!  :D

Where does the "Beta" versions "live"?  Is it same place as the download sections?

Man I was hoping it would be the beta along with the announcement. I am now on pins and needles. Thanks LOR. Can't hardly wait.

• Like 1

←  Important Announcements

Light-O-Rama Forums

»

S4 Software Suite Beta Information

LightORamaDanToday, 01:26 PM

As was mentioned in a thread last week, we will be releasing a beta of the S4 software this month.

There have been a number of questions asked and I will try and answer some of them here and now.

When will the S4 beta be released?

The software will be released before the end of March 2015.

What is this going to cost me?

An evaluation copy of the Beta is free if your license supports S3 version 3.12.2.  

The production code cost depends on your current license. The simple answer is $0.00 to $50.00. The not so simple answer: When S4 production code is released, if your S3 license was issued, upgraded or renewed in the last year then S4 will be free at your existing S3 license level. For example, when S4 is released, if you have a current “S3 Basic Plus” license that was issued, upgraded or renewed in the last year, then there is no cost for “S4 Basic Plus”.

When S4 production code is released, if your S3 license was issued, upgraded or renewed more than a year earlier, then you have two options: you can renew your license for $29.95 or you can upgrade your license from its current level to a higher level which gives you a free renewal. The new Pro license level will be a $50 upgrade for S3 Advanced users.

Will my existing license work for the Beta software?

If your license is valid for the current version of S3 ( 3.12.2 ) then it will be valid for the S4 beta. This is for a limited evaluation period until July 1, 2015. Starting on July 1, the regular license rules will go into effect.

If you currently have a S3 Advanced license that is valid for version 3.12.2 then the Beta software will operate as S4 Pro. This allows S3 Advanced users to use all features of S4 Pro.  

What is the new Pro license level?

One of the major changes to the S4 software is enhanced support for high channel counts (10s of thousands) that are found in displays with many RGB pixels. The Pro license level gives you access to the new and powerful Pixel Editor. It also supports a new and efficient method for storing, transmitting and managing pixel data. 

Beyond the Pro license what else is new in S4?

We will be providing more detail, but there have been a number of enhancements and efficiency improvements in S4. For example the visualizer is at least 5 times more resource efficient and depending on the PC and video card used, it can handle up to 10 times the number of channels.

Do I need a PRO license to handle RGB?

No, the Pro license is not necessary to support RGB or pixels. All of the support for RGB that was found is S3 is available in S4 Advanced. The S3 Advanced software was used to create many outstanding RGB displays and S4 Advanced has all those capacities and in many cases does it better than S3.

Will my S3 sequences work with S4?

Yes, S4 will accept any version of LOR sequence files going back to version 1.5.

Will I need to re-learn the software?

If you are comfortable with the S3 software you will be fine with the same features in S4. Most of the enhancements have little or no impact on the user interface for existing features. 

← Important Announcements

Light-O-Rama Forums

»

S4 Software Suite Beta Information

Yep. Someone beat ya though with the link a few posts back. :)

That is great news and looking forward to testing it out with 32k of channels. I did see where someone stated it does do a whole house chase.. That will be great in a few of my sequences with out doing a copy layouts and matching it up. I have my pennies rolled up but looks like I will be getting it with a mouse click. Running 3.12.2 already !!! Yea....

I am pumped!!!!  Beyond excited. Love this;

"Will I need to re-learn the software?

If you are comfortable with the S3 software you will be fine with the same features in S4. Most of the enhancements have little or no impact on the user interface for existing features. "

Ready to start sequencing :-)

I'm looking forward to adding this to my sequence editing toolbox.

I'm aware that there is limited info on the new S4 Software Suite Beta, but possibly others in the know have an answer for my questions.

Is Superstar getting an upgrade also? My reason for asking is that Smooth Effects in SS have had a "bleedover" issue with other props as talked about in this older thread http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/34616-smooth-effects/ To my knowlwdge this hasn't been resolved. (If I am wrong about this, please point me to the thread with updated info Thanks)

From my understanding of the video it sounded like the new Pixel Editor would deal with this issue. At least I hope thats what it will do.

Thanks in advance...

Alan...

Edited by default

Is Superstar getting an upgrade also?

Generally speaking, the 4.0 version of SuperStar has a bunch of things added to it.  I'm personally not familiar with the specific issue you're describing and I don't know if there's any change regarding it specifically.  I'd suggest perhaps asking in the SuperStar section of the forums about it.

Will beta output to lights or is it basically a demo?

The short answer is that it will output to lights.

The medium answer is that it depends on your license level, just like the current software: For example if you've got a Basic Plus license, it will output to the lights for units 01-04, but not for units 05 and up.

The long answer is the medium answer plus the fact that it's not quite "just like the current software", in a few ways:

(1) There's a new license level, "Pro", above Advanced, which is required to output lighting effects created by the new Pixel Editor, or by a certain new feature in SuperStar.

(2) Generally speaking, your current license may or may not be valid for version 4.0.  If it is not, then 4.0 will not control lights, with an important exception:

(3) If your license is valid for 3.12 (which is the current version), then 4.0 will control lights for you during the Beta period, even if it's not valid for 4.0.  In this case (or if your license is valid for 4.0), then if you've got an Advanced license, it will act (during the Beta period) as if it were a Pro license.  Other licenses will act as the same level that they really are - for example if you've got a 3.12 Basic Plus that is not valid for 4.0, it will work with 4.0 during the Beta period, but still as a Basic Plus license.