Light-O-Rama Forums

Rapid Fire?

LarryDrumAZ

According to version 3.12.0, rapid fire was included in that release.  However, the options for it are still grayed out.

Yes, there were bugs in it so at the last minute I decided to gray them out.

The most recent release is 3.12.2. If you get it, rapid fire is ungrayed. But it still has some problems, but you can play with it if you want. 

Brian, I have the upgraded to the 3.12.2 version and rapid fire is grayed out. What is the purpose, or for better wording, use, of the rapid fire?

Sorry, I was wrong. I just installed 3.12.2 on a computer and Rapid Fire was grayed. I will enable it in the next release.

Normally Instant Sequence creates triggers when the sum of the frequency ranges for that ribbon reaches a threshold and then it triggers a "theme" which is a set of effects.

Rapid Fire creates a trigger for each frequency range assigned to that ribbon. It results in more triggers, and the triggers happen more when the song is more intense or is changing more frequently. The trigger can then trigger a "theme" which can be a set of effects. But the typical usage is to have the "theme" be on pixel that is moved around the display.

So even though it is creating more triggers, the idea is for each trigger to light up only one pixel and so the result is that things are "less blinky". The pixel that gets moved around does so in a "hurky jerky" fashion that moves with the music, and it usually moves faster during the more intense parts of the music.

You can use Rapid Fire on any theme but you normally would only want to use it on just one ribbon. In the past superstar made triggers stay on one ribbon. But now they can move around. So when you assign a theme to a ribbon, you are really just specifying a starting point. And so with Rapid Fire you would want to just assign a theme to one ribbon, and then it can move up, down, left, or right. If you assigned a Rapid Fire theme to a lot of ribbons, you would get themes moving all over the place. Visually it would be a jumbled mess and you could also end up generating more effects than superstar can handle. In the current code there is nothing to stop you from doing that. I want to put some limits in there. That is one of the reasons it is grayed out in the current release.

In my "Let it Go" sequence for the CCP tree I use Rapid Fire. In the video below, look at 1:55-2:09. Instant Sequence is using Rapid Fire to move a theme around the tree. You can see it moves at different speeds and tends to move faster when the song is more intense. Interestingly the code does not look at volume, it is merely looking for changes.

At 1:38 are dots. The dots are done using "Random Points" as the movement setting in Instant Sequence. "Random Points" is new and is in v3.12.0 or v3.12.2.

At 1:30-1:33 is a swirly twisty thing. It is just a spiral done on the sequencing grid. Since this is a 360 degree tree, it is sequenced using "wrap around" mode for the sequencing grid and spirals end up looking like that.

It is a trigger type in the Instant Sequence dialog box. There is "Normal" and "Rapid Fire". However, it is currently grayed out and will be enabled in the next release.

• Like 1

Been away for a few days.  Thanks for clearing that up Brian.  Also learned a lot from your comments to everyone else.

• 5 months later...

I have been using the rapid fire button to create instant sequences with just my incandescent and led lights, they look so much better then when using the Normal trigger. I have also created a few instant sequences for my 8 mini trees using dumb RGB, when ya set the colors you can very nice sequences. I ma not doing the rgb mini trees this year, but i am saving the sequences i created for next year. Dang good job on that rapid fire Trigger Brian.

I am trying to use rapid fire with 4 circles. But for some reason the sequence only plays across 3 of the circles not the 4th. Is there a setting I'm missing or is this the way it functions with the circles thank you for any assistance provided!!

Not sure what is happening. Are you using CCR mode or Visualization mode? If you are using visualization mode please email your visualization to brian@superstarlights.com

Your visualization file will end with .lee and will be at:

c:/ (your lightorama folder) / Visualizations / Editor

The frequency range is probably too low or too high for the last circle, you will have to go in and change the frequency range for those strips.

Edited by Mr. P

I am using the Instant Sequence feature with rapid fire mode. I have the TCM 1 set to play on CCRs 1 and 4 and TCM 2 to play on CCRs 2 and 3. CCRs 2 and 3 play correctly. CCR 1 plays correctly but nothing plays on CCR 4. If it's the same TCM why wouldn't it play on the other CCR.

If it's a frequency issue...How do I change the frequency for that particular strip?

What is the "Theme",  "Color", "Color by time", and "Movement" settings for TCM 1, and TCM 2 ?

Also, are all of your circles CCRs?

In the instance sequence box go into the timing map and see what frequency the strips are triggered, you may need to adjust the frequency. The timing map looks like a piano keyboard and the song may not be hitting the frequency to trigger the channels.

Okay, Brian is here and he knows the program way better then me.   :D

Edited by Mr. P