Light-O-Rama Forums

Tennessee ++ Spring Mini

Ron Boyd

All are invited, not just the folks from TN. We’ve had folks from GA, NC, SC, FL and even once, someone from New Zealand. 

WHEN: Saturday, March 14, 2015 

WHERE: Cleveland, TN (Just north of Chattanooga)

3787 Blue Springs Road in Cleveland, TN  

TIME: TBD (usually 9 am – 4 pm)  

We’ll take up $$$ for lunch, usually pizza. 

We will discuss all aspects of putting together a great display from nuts and bolts to finished display. This is a great time for newcomers to ask questions.  

Topics will/can range from: 

Lights to use: Incandescent, LED’s, RGB dumb and smart strings. 

Hardware: basic controllers, E1.31, Sandevices, J1SYS, dumb and smart controllers, etc. 

Software: LOR, Vixen, Superstar, Xlights/Nutcracker and if needed, how to use Vegomatic to easily add RGB channels to LOR S3. 

Power Injection: This is something that all can learn when using the low voltage, DC items such as pixels and basic RGB.

If the interest is there, several of us can demonstrate good and most likely, different techniques for soldering, ie. connecting pixel strips or strings, adding pigtails, waterproofing, soldering controller boards together and such.  

Been there, done that. We can have one on one instruction if the need arises. Lots of us have been doing this for several years and have the "Been there, done that and I got the t-shirt" mentality. We're all willing to share our experiences, good and bad.

If anyone has the Pixlite controllers, bring it to the Mini. It’s the newest E1.31 controller on the market and I’m sure some would like to see how it’s set up, (me included). 

Construction of elements: Need ideas how to construct leaping arches, mega trees, spiral trees, a Matrix, Marty fan, etc. Bring your new, cool element, to show off. It gives others ideas for creating new exciting elements for their display as well as how to build them.  

What worked in 2014 and also what didn't: Talk about what worked in your 2014 show. What was the most talked about element in your show. What did you have trouble with? 

Buy and Sell: There are usually items for sale. There is usually someone looking to buy something.

Mark your calendar for the March 14th.

More info to come.

Edited by Ron Boyd

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Boyd

• dougd

• Klayfish

• Jeff Messer

What timing...I haven't been on the forums for a while and just came on to see if there was info about the spring mini.

I don't have any races that weekend.  Let me check with the wife to make sure there are no major conflicts.  Assuming there aren't, I'm in.  Be prepared for a lot of stupid newbie questions.  :D  Besides slowly....very slowly....working on sequencing in SS, I haven't done squat with the RGB hardware yet.

I was wondering if you would see this. I was going to send you an email if you didn't chime in during the next few days

Looking forward to it.

Any topics that you would like to see discussed, post here and we will do our best to make sure they get covered.

OK...I'll start.

How do I?  :lol:

I'll make sure I bring a list of questions.  Would it be OK if I brought my RGB hardware with me?  Not trying to get anyone to do the work for me, I want to learn to do it.  But maybe it would help me to actually have the stuff with me as I learn better when I can see and touch what I'm working with.

Edited by Klayfish

OK...I'll start.

How do I?  :lol:

I'll make sure I bring a list of questions.  Would it be OK if I brought my RGB hardware with me?  Not trying to get anyone to do the work for me, I want to learn to do it.  But maybe it would help me to actually have the stuff with me as I learn better when I can see and touch what I'm working with.

I'll be going from Valdosta, if you want to ride from here to the mini,  I leave a little before noon on Friday and drive back Saturday evening leaving about 6:00 PM.  It's about 5 1/2 driver from here.  If you are interested PM me.  I am right off Hwy 75.

(I drive a Prius so the 52 mpg really helps).  I stay in a basic motel room for Friday evening.

Guys and Gals   looking forward to seeing all of you.  Count me in, trekking from south GA.

Thanks for the offer jerrymac.  I live in Acworth, so I'm only an hour and some change from Ron.  I'll be making a daytrip out of it, so as not to upset the Mrs.

Did anyone see the new LOR SW Pixel Editor demo on the “LOR Software – General” forum?  Can we get Matt Brown to come to the Tennessee ++ Spring Mini to show us this demo?