Light-O-Rama Forums

Advice on 12 Ribbon smart pixel tree

Marty Belisle

I am looking to add a 12 ribbon pixel tree to my display this year however I'm undecided if I should go with LORs 12 CCRs or the Holidaycoro 12 ribbon  E1.31 DMX tree?  As I like to change my display from year to year I do like the CCR option as each has a controller that could easily be used in other parts of my display once I am done using a tree fixture.  In addition all of my present display is LOR; CCRs, CCBs...so I am familiar with LOR set-ups and networking.  On the other hand the Holidaycoro ribbon tree is great value however may be limited in future fixture options unless long extensions are used? I heard that the E1.31 setup may be better in regards to speed?  Yes, I will need to grow my understanding of DMX devices and networking...  Suggestions anyone?

All I can answer is that I built my pixel tree using WS2811 pixels from Ray Wu for exactly one reason - cost.  The entire tree cost me about 20% of what it would have cost if I did it with CCRs.  One other advantage of using pixels rather than CCRs was the ability to make the string whatever length I wanted - mine is about 2/3 the size of a CCR based tree.  This of course could have been done with CCPs to stay in the LOR product line (but they were not out yet when I built my tree).

Of the two choices you gave, I would go with HolidayCoro. In my experience, the products they sell are cheaper and are of equal or better quality. I think sticking with LOR limits future options more than HolidayCoro. I heard 2nd hand that lor is working on e1.31 offerings.

In my opinion, lor still has good software. But, their hardware is outdated and overpriced. People say they have good support, but so does HolidayCoro.

Lastly, there are other vendors besides HolidayCoro that compete with price and quality. It's really your call and who you feel comfortable with.

I assume you were referring to my comments when you said bad mouthing. How in the world did you take that as bad mouthing?

My comments were based on my actual experience. I think the lor forum is the perfect place to comment on lor products, whether good or bad.

Lor products are outdated. My reasoning, for example, they still use 485 for comms. This is 1980s technology.

They are overpriced. My reasoning, for example, I have bought similar products for over half the price.

It's great that lor has loyal customers, like yourself. You continue with that. I will continue to be open and honest.

• Like 1

All I can answer is that I built my pixel tree using WS2811 pixels from Ray Wu for exactly one reason - cost.  The entire tree cost me about 20% of what it would have cost if I did it with CCRs.  One other advantage of using pixels rather than CCRs was the ability to make the string whatever length I wanted - mine is about 2/3 the size of a CCR based tree.  This of course could have been done with CCPs to stay in the LOR product line (but they were not out yet when I built my tree).

Same reasons I used Ray's pixels for mine.  Unfortunately I was part of the "bad batch" and battled pixel death a little last year and a lot this year.   It was very frustrating to have to spend every Saturday with the tree down cutting out bad pixels and soldering in new ones.  Eventually I contacted Ray about how well the generation 2 pixels were working -- figuring to purchase a new set for next year, and he sent me (free of charge) a complete set of replacements.  (3 day air)  I put the on the tree the first weekend I could and they have been working great ever since.  (2 weeks complete with rain & wind)   I've got my fingers crossed and breath held for this coming season. 

I do also have 2 sets of CCBs  one strand failed at the start of season 2 LOR replaced it and the replacement failed (one bulb lost the blue LED)  LOR replaced that one as well at no charge.    LOR is much more costly, yet much more reliable as well.   You trade dollars for less frustration. 

Edited by khawes

I created a 12 string pixel tree using WS2811's from Ray Wu as well and running a P12S/X card. It was the hit of the show here. Cost was the driving factor as simply put, CCR's are expensive but yeah, they sure look nice. This next season, I've currently waiting on the arrival of 12 more(already have 4), LPD6803 strips from Ray. These are supposedly the same strips as a CCR but without the custom LOR controller and these will be run via E1.31 instead of the LOR buss. The bottom line with last year's tree, $700 or so spent for a 12 string tree as opposed to $3,000 for a 12 string CCR tree. I would have been happy to buy the CCR's from LOR, had the price been considerably more reasonable.

Did call or email Holiday Coro and ask if they ship to Canada? The last time I looked they didn't, but maybe that changed for 2015. 

Probably will hear this over and over as it was the same for me. I actually bought 12 CCR ribbons 2 years ago during the SPRING sale but realized quickly even with the reduced price $174 per ribbon, I still manged to save a ton of money by going with WS2811 Square pixels from DIYLED EXPRESS and  a P12 card. I was fortunate enough to get my money back on e-bay as I sold all 12 there. The nice thing is the easy conversion  to RGB from CCR as well as the ease of building a tree out of Conduit and tiewraps ....

EZ

Edited by ezimnow

If you want plug and play, LOR is the way to go.

From getting the CCRs integrated into your software, from the sequencer to visualizer, to superstar, if you want easy integration then LOR is for you.

The ribbon has everything you need, from controller, to power supply to the actual ribbon. All matched perfectly.

If you want to save money and do more work, then you can do that. Get yourself a controller, power supply and find a compatible ribbon.

Holiday Coro makes it easier but his price is more than if you went at it alone.

Integration into LOR software will be harder. For some this is a non issue. For others, hours of frustration is not worth the cost.

With LOR you get a 2 year warranty. You get great support...seconds after you request it usually. Not even holiday Coro, who has good support, can match that.

Which is better? For each person the answer is different.

Good luck,

Sax

Sax, integration into lor isn't harder. It's different... different doesn't automatically mean harder. I've done both. Let people decide on their own. Don't scare them away with comments that just aren't true.

Lor is truly plug and play like you said. But really, how hard is it to mount a board and power supply in a box? In my opinion, I feel that lor puts me in a box. I never felt comfortable cutting a string of pixels or ribbons from lor (felt like I was breaking the law). With strings from HolidayCoro or Ray, I don't feel that. Why I feel that, not sure, maybe it's the cost difference.

There is no right or wrong here.

• Like 1

Sax, integration into lor isn't harder. It's different... different doesn't automatically mean harder. I've done both. Let people decide on their own. Don't scare them away with comments that just aren't true.

Lor is truly plug and play like you said. But really, how hard is it to mount a board and power supply in a box? In my opinion, I feel that lor puts me in a box. I never felt comfortable cutting a string of pixels or ribbons from lor (felt like I was breaking the law). With strings from HolidayCoro or Ray, I don't feel that. Why I feel that, not sure, maybe it's the cost difference.

There is no right or wrong here.

First off, what comment did I make that was untrue? That integration is hard? You gotta be kidding me.

What you call easy or hard is not the definition of easy or hard. What I find easy or hard is not the standard either. And for the record I have LOR, dmx, e1.31. CCR's, pixels and nodes. You don't have a clue about my abilities or setup. What I post is based on my experience.

I have several vendors I support and champion in these forums. Holiday Coro is one of them. And no one supports Ray more than me, just look at any of my posts. But I will never say my way is the only way. It works for me.

My post was to point out advantages and disadvantages to both. And to allow people to make their own decisions.

I am happy you can put components in a box. That is great. But what I was referring to is the hundreds of posts in the dmx, visualizer and s3 software portions of this forum where people have issues getting rgb, dmx, e1.31 etc to work. That is where the issue is. And if a person goes blindly into a purchase of the hardware without regards to how to sequence it or integrate it into their sw then they will have wasted not only money but time and effort.

And since you have been on these forums a long time I am sure you have read these posts and understand that it is not as easy as going and ordering some components. You have seen the issues people have had and helped them or given advice based on your experiences.

So you said your point. I am sure people can see your point. But there is more to it then hardware. Now let people make up their own mind.

• Like 1

These forums are not what they used to be.......its hard to decipher what someone means when its in a chat. I hope this one stays open as there could be some good information in here for Marty...

Ezimnow, good point. My comments were not intended to be negative. Guess he added his own attitude into it?

My main point, let's not scare folks off into anyways taking the easy path, or what is thought to be the easy path.

• Like 1

Good information indeed.  My intent was not to create debate rather than tap into the experience of others to learn even more.  I understood that stepping outside of LOR or trying E1.31 may create more options for my display in the future but it would also come with another learning curve?  Big thanks to the LOR forums allowing many discussions on many different products, views as my display has evolved as a result of LOR and the information from within the forums.  Thanks everyone for the info.

Marty

FYI lightzilla, no shipping to Canada yet from Holiday Coro

I have not jumped into e1.31 or dmx or anything other than LOR for that matter but I know I will one day. To me the best displays out there appear to be the ones who use all of the above choices and then some. People debate over xlights or superstar and all the other sequence programs but once again I thinks the ones who use all of those programs in their displays look the best.

To me all of it is truly a learning curve and anyone who wants to expand or try something new then go for it. Don't be afraid of it but have fun with every aspect of it. That's what its all about anyway. After all its a hobby that we all enjoy and seem to get hooked on!!!!!!!!

I'm using LOR only to run my show. Yes I'm commanding E1.31 along with the LOR controllers and yes, I happen to like LOR. Can't wait to see what changes are coming for the new software.

• 4 weeks later...

Same here, I built mine out of 2811 pixels from Ray.  I was able to get all 12 strings for less than the cost of one CCR.  Always ask Ray for a shipping quote, do not buy directly from the order button.