Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I get this one task accomplished with DMX?

Acro2pilot

After allot of research I found that the CTB32LDg3 which I just ordered will do everything I want to do in my display setup (one way or another) other than one task. What I would like to do is find a way to get my light strings connected to the controller to respond to music from my jukebox which is PC based. I don't need anything specific, I would just like the lights to behave like a VU meter or similar so they flash, strobe, or similar as the music plays, not a repeatable sequence, just some eye candy. And if possible, if I could have some channels do that while others don't? Is there a device, program, or method to take line in audio and get commands out to the controller to make it do that? This was always bonus points but something that would make the outcome so much better.

You would have to split your lights into two groups:

• Ones controlled by the LOR controller

• Ones that you want to be music responsive and connect them to a Color Organ

Can't run the color organ through the LOR system.

There's a way to do this through DMX, but cost would be several hundred dollars and daunting for newbies.

Edited by Ken Benedict

I rang a friend of mine who does our lights and lasers for a video game convention I participate in and he suggested a program called Freestyle DMX and apparently it checks all the boxes for what I want to do. As Ken says I might be looking at two controllers, one to run the LOR sequences and one to slave to Freestyle DMX if I wanted to have both functions, or I could use one controller and boot either LOR or FSDMX. I think I might default to the two controller option and I can still link them so the setup would be really adaptable. I will take a look at the color organ too, thanks for the suggestion. I don't mind buying multiple controllers or whatever else I need to get this done.

Hmm, not sure if this is still around and not sure it will do what you want, but some time back there was a program called LORVis that was like an add-on you could use with the Windows Media Player.  Just not sure if it will work in the manner you want.   Again, not even sure it's around any longer, it was a free add-on for WMP and would work with only one controller at a time.  But it would flash lights and such, was sort of a pain to get set to make things work so-so though.  At least I found it a bit of a nuisance trying to get it to act somewhat reasonably.   But that may have just been me.  LOL

Couldn't you just use the Vue Wizard in the Sequence Editor to program the lights on the channels you want to use?  It's a fairly simple process and doesn't take that much time.