Light-O-Rama Forums

Best practice for recording

Meegan

I am seeing many exceptional videos out there and had a question for input on best practices. I have recorded my show from inside the car but you would be surprised at the random sounds caught while shooting inside the car (coughing, throat clearing...among others :) ). Also the audio always sounds a bit tinny. What options/ software do you guys use to shoot the videos and add audio later?

Use video editing software to replace the audio track. Since you already have the audio in an MP3 it is pretty easy to do. Then you create a new "movie/video" with the replaced audio track. I use Power Director by Cyberlink.

I certainly don't feel like the expert here, but I will share what I do.  My camera has an audio input jack.  I use an old Sony Walkman and plug the headphone jack to the camera input.  The audio I get is less than perfect, but it gives me a reference that I can use during the editing.

I use the CyberLink Power Director for video editing and will start with a new project.  I will add a clean audio track from the MP3 file.  Then, as I add the video/audio tracks I have taken, I will align the audio from the clip with the clean track in the editor.  This gets me real close, at least close enough for an amateur. You can make fine adjustments from this point.

If you don't have the ability to input external audio here is a trick that works.

Open you sequence audio file in Audacity.

At the beginning insert a VERY HIGH tone (high enough that your speakers can not reproduce).  This way you can see the point in the audio wave form but can NOT hear it.

save the audio sequence.

Open your sequence with the modified audio.

Look at the wave form, you will see a HIGH spike in the wave form (this is the inserted tone.

Set a couple of bright lights to key for a very short burst at the same time as the spike and save the sequence.

when you are video recording the sequence and you can even make audio comments for later and it doesn't make any difference if you can hear the sequence audio or what other sounds are going around it.

With a video editor (I use AVS 4 You) remove the video recorded audio and replace it with the modified audio.

Align the original modified audio with the light key you made above with the wave form spike, and save the new video with the modified audio.

You now should have PERFECT audio exactly lined up with your sequence and no extraneous sounds and perfect audio level.

Works great, 

Just use Microsoft Live Movie Maker. You can replace the video's audio with the original .mp3. I don't even record the music when I video my display.

What kind of recording equipment are you guys using (camcorder, dslr) and what are some setting that work best. I think it has to be some manual settings because auto setting doesn't work.

Personally, I silently play the light show on repeat in the middle of the night for the song I'm recording. I do multiple angles with my camera and adjust the ISO and aperture based on the position. The footage is never perfect because light is extremely hard to capture well unless you have all of the same kind of light source (LEDs, metal halide, and incandescents all react very differently). To keep the audio clean, I add it later through my video software. I don't play the audio during the recording as a reference because I don't feel like it's necessary since I created the show. I use Final Cut Pro to put it together, but even free video programs allow you to add the audio track later. This also gives you the ability to slide the audio track slightly if for any reason it wasn't perfectly lined up because of any unforeseen delays from processing, radio transmission etc...

I use a Canon XHA1S to Film, I do film the Audio Live with a feed from a walkman directly to the camera and do use all LED and RGB in my display. I did have to shoot with the focus and Aperature on Manual. Best year yet for Filming, and I do believe the camera does make the difference ( love GoPro, just no lense control)

• The topic was locked