Light-O-Rama Forums

? about CTB16PC

Nick Myers

In general, if you only have the PC series controllers, you will either need a computer, or a (mini)Director card to send commands to the controllers. Wireless only changes this to the extent that both/all the wireless linkers need a power source. The wireless unit close to a controller will be powered by the controller. If you have a PC and a wireless as the show controller, you will need the USB-485B adapter to provide power to the wireless linker..

Note also that the stand alone operation that people mention is animation sequences only. Zero musical capability, so it won't be a consideration for most users. Personally, I think I have used it exactly once in a DC card, as a demo at a meeting..

Thanks KLB,

I plan on using my computer as the show controller. I understand now that I will need a USB-485B for the Linker to transmit the animated show only and the main controller outside will have a Linker connected to it. As for the music, I plan on getting an EDM or Ramsey FM transmitter. I read from this formum that they are decient transmitters.

Thanks again for your info. I just want to make sure I get all my stuff in order before I start purchasing the equipment that will be needed.

Essentially, yes. There really is no main controller in a computer driven show.. The PC is sending the commands, and powering the USB-485B, which in turn powers the linker... The other linker is powered by the closest controller. That linker receives the commands from the one attached to the PC, and sends it down the wire.. Each controller responds to the commands sent to its address.. Nothing about any of it makes any one controller any more important than any other...

I wish EDM would announce when they will have a RDS transmitter on the market.. Currently I think the EDM LCD is one of the best deals out there for our use. I'm sticking with my Ramsey FM 30B for now, but an EDM RDS unit will likely get my attention..

Thanks again KLB,

One more information I would like to know. I should be able to connnect another controller to the main controller with the linker - Right? I should not need another Linker for the second controller, correct me if I am wrong.

Controllers daisy chain together. If I remember correctly, the linker has two RJ-45 ports on it, so it can either go at the end of a chain of controllers, or anywhere along the length of a chain of controllers.

The reasons you might want a third linker would include cases where you have other controllers that are not reasonable to cable to the ones with your first controller group.