Light-O-Rama Forums

Need Advice on Raspberry PI B +

Grinch

Candiac,

Steps on falconcheistmas.com are summarized here

1) get sdformat program and format a sd card ( at least 4gig in size)

2) download the Linux os image from falcon Christmas, this image also has all the Fpp software pre installed. Unzip download onto the ad card, that's it, os and Fpp are now installed

3) plug in a Usb flash drive. This is needed or boot up will fail. This Usb card will hold all the fseq, MP3 and MP4 files.

4) power on the pi. U. Should see Linux booting up on your monitor. First boot up can take 20 minutes as itdownloads updates, configures things. Get a coffee

5) when it finishes u will hear "I have found the following IP address 10.0.0.4". The IP address may be different for you.

6) go to a browser and type in 10.0.0.4 (or whatever your up was). Now the Fpp Pages come up.

7) transfer xseq and MP3 files. Create playlists. Create schedule.

Edited by smeighan

Candiac, Steps on falconcheistmas.com are summarized here 1) get sdformat program and format a sd card ( at least 4gig in size) 2) download the Linux os image from falcon Christmas, this image also has all the Fpp software pre installed. Unzip download onto the ad card, that's it, os and Fpp are now installed 3) plug in a Usb flash drive. This is needed or boot up will fail. This Usb card will hold all the fseq, MP3 and MP4 files. 4) power on the pi. U. Should see Linux booting up on your monitor. First boot up can take 20 minutes as itdownloads updates, configures things. Get a coffee 5) when it finishes u will hear "I have found the following IP address 10.0.0.4". The IP address may be different for you. 6) go to a browser and type in 10.0.0.4 (or whatever your up was). Now the Fpp Pages come up. 7) transfer xseq and MP3 files. Create playlists. Create schedule.

Where do I find all this, have the SD's cards and jump drives.  signed up on Falcon Christmas and am in the down load area.

Where do I find all this, have the SD's cards and jump drives.  signed up on Falcon Christmas and am in the down load area.

There's another thread here too:

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,1111.0.html

Basically the same information but with a little extra and some posts from others.  Disregard the beta download links.

Edited by Deacon

ok, now I am stuck at FPP Login:

Ok that's good. Now you should be able to connect to it via web browser. When the FPP starts up it will announce an IP address, this is what you'd connect to via web browser. If you missed the ip or couldn't hear it, you can login to the Pi at the FPP login, username is "pi" password is "raspberry". Then type:

Sudo /sbin/ifconfig

This should give you the IP address for "eth0"

Then open up web browser and type in that address.

You probably want to look on falconchristmas.com, there have been multiple threads about setting up wifi there. The one forum there for FPP has over 10,000 posts so lots of info

• 2 weeks later...

Just one question (for now I'm sure).  Can a Pi / FPP setup handle inputs from a LOR controller and control an interactive show?  I am looking at using a Pi for my year round landscape lighting so I don't have to leave a PC running all year long, however interactives are heavily used for my landscape lighting - both for starting (and soon shutting down) the show and also for making lighting changes when certain triggers are sensed.

post the question on the falconchristmas forum , you will hear all the ways people have done this.

since it is running linux, you ca run all sorts of scripts. Scripts to use sensors are available from their script library.

photo sensors, temp sensors, relays, motion sensors , big push button switches  can all be connected to the fpp and a script that will take different actions depedning on inputs.

the FPP forum at http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/board,8.0.html has had over 11,000 posts in 940 threads.

lots of discussion.

they include premade scripts as part of theinstallation.