Light-O-Rama Forums

Enclosure Boxes

Charlie

Hi everyone,
I would just like to know what other people use for a box enclosures. For Me this year i did not have enough to afford two boxes or make a proper box(i started late this year,typicle newbie). The way i am running my lines this year is through my window(see attached photo). but next year i want to move it all outside on because im adding more channels and two its neater in my room that way. What is a cheap affective way to make a box or any suggestions on where to buy a good box enclosure.

Thanks,
Charlie

Attached files 145594=8579-CIMG3572-2.JPG

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Don Krasley

• Steven

• rgardner518

• geogecko

I coudn't find enclosures that I liked so I'm in the process of making my own from plywood. I still need to make the covers, connect the grounds and attach the permanent power cords. I'm not sure how they will hold up to the elements over time but they should be watertight.

Jim

Attached files 145831=8587-100_5971.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff Millard wrote:

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

That top enclosure looks alot like the telco boxes we use for some of our wiring terminals. The bottom enclosure looks exactly like the enclosures that our local power company uses for their switching equipment on "generating" sites. Pretty neat seeing them used this way... and makes me take the hawk eye to our metal recycling dumpster at work. :D

Very nice wiring btw.

Guest wbottomley

joneslights wrote:

hbomb341 wrote:

I have contacted them about these and they said they will not be getting any more in.

Harrison

Now I'm depressed, thanks alot ;)

Same here!

We'll find another good source soon. Still have until November 27th. Which by the way... looks like Thanksgiving is later in the month next year...

Thursday, November 27th 2008

Thursday, November 26th 2009

Thursday, November 25th 2010

Charlie,

I looked high and low for sprinkler boxes like you used. Can you tell us where to bought them?

Here is how the controllers I have so far are packaged. I got lucky and purchased the metal NEMA 3R boxes for about $15 each from a local vendor.

Thanks,

Roger

Attached files 147427=8642-Assy all - cropped half.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Now that we've seen some nice enclosures, here's the first one I made:

attachment.php?id=8696

Additional controllers I buy will use the LOR PC enclosures, because building them this way is too much work!

Here's the second:

Attached files 148580=8697-IMG_3221.JPG

Here is the way I do it!

I got a hoffman box on ebay, about $170 plus shipping, used 1 box for 5 controllers and will be adding to it this year. I'm all set for 6 in the box. Check it out on myspace in my pictures. I got a "double d" knock-out punch on ebay as well, for about $40. They sell for about $250 at the local supply company. I had a great time building it! I enjoy this kind of project. I may even list it on ebay and start over again. I'm thinking a bigger box for 8 controlers would be nice!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=171427057 pictures of construction.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=dkrasley my videos!

It was a lot of time to do it, but hey, we all have plenty of time right now to get it done for Christmas!

Good luck!

Don

Attached files 149030=8722-hoffman box.jpg

Don,

WOW!!!!!!! Looks like a fantastic job!! Way to go. Can you post any pics of the interior?

I have been using distributed control boxes to try and keep the wire lengths to a minimum but this makes me want to rethink my position. I can see changing to a larger central controller box except for the controller for my mega tree.

Thanks for sharing the idea.

Roger

Hey, thanks for the comments! I appreciate it! Although you better have ample free time to do it. I spent many days working on it. I soldered the boards too so it took longer for me to get it all done.
I have pictures of the project posted here: http://community.webshots.com/user/dkrasley

2254467930043094285vUsTlB_fs.jpg
Heck, I may be willing to build it for you for a price! I am laid off right now! Too bad your not close to me or Cedar Point isn't open right now!
If you need any help though, let me know.
Have a great day!
Don

Someone just told me something that I must pass on. He said I should say this is how it should be done. I added that if you don't use the available enclosures available from LOR.

http://thumb5.webshots.net/t/68/168/0/48/53/2008048530043094285ddKnxK_th.jpg

Hey people, if you don't use the LOR boxes, use your head! An open circuit is an open opportunity for someone to get shocked, or worse, KILLED! It only takes one time to find out if your body can handle the current or not. Everyone's body reacts differently from electrical shock. Some can walk away, some are buried.
I have sat through many hours of B O R I N G safety films and training. If you saw the pictures or the survivors of electrical shocks, you would not fool with it. Electricity burns you from the inside. People have been hospitalized looking like they will overcome the incident only to get bad news days later. I got nailed HARD one time. I thank God for sparing my family from the tradgity that could have been. But I hurt for a week or so. I know I was lucky. At work, I am not allowed to work on anything live anymore. It is an OSHA regulation. Now when I absolutely have to, I look like this picture below. This was taken of a guy cleaning out motor control centers at a local plant. You may have eaten their cereal this morning! I can't tell you where because I took this picture against their policy of no cameras on site! We call it a bee suit! Even to throw mains on, you have to wear it. Safety is no accident!
I don't want to tell you what to do. I have seen some decent work, but I have seen some horrible work.
OK, so I have years into building control panels at work, but if I had no clue, I would get the equipment from LOR. The prices are fair and the enclosures are UL approved enclosures. A plastic food storage box? Plywood? Not a good idea! You also must factor into the equation the heat that is generated from the controller. If your using the large heat sinks, your generating some heat and it has to go somewhere.
Sorry, I don't want to mock anyone. I also don't want to see anyone hurt or lose their house. Heat makes fire! Fire destroys lives!
OK, the lecture is over! Please return to your normally scheduled program!
Don

Attached files 149078=8725-Image5.jpg

So I was telling everyone in another topic about buying enclosures on ebay and one tripped my fancy! So I guess I'm a proud owner of a new enclosure. Now I need to get rid of the one I already have. Any one interested? Since there is not a place on here to list things, I posted it over at Planet Christmas!

Here is the link:

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum57/21595.html

I'm selling it one way or another so if your interested, let me know!

Have a good day!

Don

Gee Don, seems like you haven't just been bitten by the bug at this. You have become part of the swarm . :)

I too am an electrician and have been working around this stuff for many years (I'm 10 years older than you) :shock: and I have seen some scary things out there.

I was bitten once by 440 AC 3 phase on a motor disconnect that had been wired by a licensed electrican (I am not licensed, just have worked around this stuff since I was 14). When I came too about 15 feet from the disconnect, I was not a happy camper to say the least. That jolt made me hurt for almost a month, but I was lucky to be alive.

It is way to easy to take something that you can't see for granted and unfortunately electricity usually is not too forgiving. Common sense goes a long ways, but someone else who may be looking at this stuff who doesn't "think" of the invisible danger can be hurt bad real fast.

Okay, end of my soapbox addition to your thoughts.

On the other hand, I was I had the funds to pick up that setup of yours. I am in the planning stages of my own design now, but I will probably end up with 3 enclosures by the time I am done so that I can locate them around the property.

Hey Beeiilll,

Thanks for stating the invisible dangers. It is something people don't think about. Some say it's their hobby to do electrical work. I could think of better hobbies!

I have a friend who I helped with many home improvement projects. After seeing me do it many times, he decided to try it out for himself. Needless to say, I had to go fix up things that he messed up. It is easy to add receptacles, or circuits to a home. But when it comes to my line of work, most would have no clue where to start. The best thing is to work with an apprentice and ask them to layout a new conduit run in an existing building with obstructions everywhere. I've got some good answers and some dumb looks too! EMT is great, GRC is tough! Especially if you try to work without Ericson's like I always try to do. They make the run weak and harder to pull wires in. I love teaching the apprentices though. Some have no patience for them. And it all pays the same.

This my new passion! After a successful season, I have many new ideas thanks to the people of these forums. I can't thank everyone enough. I will be spending the "off season" working on this now that our Superbowl is over! I have other passions too that will get in the way, but I hope to keep them to a minimum!

I made videos and gave them to people who wanted them and others who didn't get the chance to get here to view the display. But the 2 people who love it the most are my grandchildren! My granddaughter is only 1 but she was so cute to see watching the lights. My daughter uses the dvd to entertain her and calm her since she has the flu right now. It is great to know how it touches her life. My grandson is 3 and he tries to show me the lights over the phone! He is always wanting to watch the dvd all the time! I beat Bob the Builder and Thomas! But these kids are going to keep me striving for bigger and better. I won't do the 50' mega tree! That's very impressive. But I will add to it every year for sure.

Well, if anyone has questions about something electrical, you could ask the guy at Home Depot. Or you could ask an expert. There seems to be a few on here that are willing to help. So no question is a dumb one.

As for the enclosures, it's your call. I strongly suggest that you use something that has been designed to house electrical items.

Have a nice day!

Don