Light-O-Rama Forums

E682 no communication

Quefol

Trying to set up my e682 can't get get it to accept data from lor I followed many tutorials with no luck am shure the e682 is set up correctly it accepts test data. network preferences are set to multicast e1 31 comm listener bulb shows red when I enable it I get open of serial port has failed but indicates connection is accepted if I remove comm 1 under lor network preferences I can start the listener with no errors I don't have a dmx dongle installed do you need one for it to work there's a youtube video showing that one needed to be installed is that true

Usually if you see or hear something on a youtube tutorial. Then you can usually take that to the bank. Actually it would be the USB to RS-485 adapter, not the DMX adapter. And I have to qualify this. If you use one of the usual LOR controllers and this adapter. Then you can either delete it from the network preferences. Or just plug the adapter in, no controllers needed. I prefer to tell people to do the second way. Cause sure enough I and others will forget that they deleted the entry in the network preference.

I just ordered one of these which hasn't shipped out yet as they won't be in stock till the end of the month. I'll learn it as quickly as possible too and hopefully not run into any issues.

I just ordered one of these which hasn't shipped out yet as they won't be in stock till the end of the month. I'll learn it as quickly as possible too and hopefully not run into any issues.

Setting up the E682 in really really simple, setting up the channels in LOR was a bit of a learning curve for me. As it was the first DMX channels I had done

Setting up the E682 in really really simple, setting up the channels in LOR was a bit of a learning curve for me. As it was the first DMX channels I had done

I have the P12S already so setting up things in LOR is easy. Already learned all that. From what I saw, the firmware configurations are quite different but accomplish the same things so I doubt there'll be any problems. 

I'm going to be using mine for a 12 ribbon supper star I was gong to maybe buy a few already made sequences it would save me a lot of time and there are some pretty nice ones at supperstarlights.com dose any one know if these sequence channels are already configured as dmx and if they are not what would be the best way to do so

Just remember when running DMX from LOR to turn on Control Panel to turn on the lights; I kept forgetting this, wasted a lot of time troubleshooting 

Just remember when running DMX from LOR to turn on Control Panel to turn on the lights; I kept forgetting this, wasted a lot of time troubleshooting 
Also if your running a regular LOR network,You need to have your LOR dongle plugged in a s well to get the control lights box blue
I'm going to be using mine for a 12 ribbon supper star I was gong to maybe buy a few already made sequences it would save me a lot of time and there are some pretty nice ones at supperstarlights.com dose any one know if these sequence channels are already configured as dmx and if they are not what would be the best way to do so
I'm not sure how Brian does his sequences,But holidaysequences if you request they wii export the sequences in DMX before sending to you. The point of that is that if you don't do this, then the colors will be off. Superstar exports white as a pinkish color for the CCD's.
  • Like 1

Would I need the dongle if I run 2 lor 16 channel controlers in dmx mode I was planning to output the last cluster on the e682 to dmx and and daisy chain all my controlers to that

Would I need the dongle if I run 2 lor 16 channel controlers in dmx mode I was planning to output the last cluster on the e682 to dmx and and daisy chain all my controlers to that

No that would work fine, but if you have a LOR network setup on your network preferences then when you run the program it will be looking for it

If you delete ALL LOR networks from the LOR tab in network preferences, you do not need a LOR dongle attached to the computer in

order to send E1.31 to a Sandevices controller.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

So I received my E682 controller. Got it powered up, connected to the computer, a single strip is connected and yes, the correct type is identified, universe 1, port 1-1, 50 pixels only, so channel 1-150. I see and I can change the test pattern. All 3 yellow leds are on, red led is on and the green one is slightly pulsating so its receiving commands. Obviously I can see the card's firmware and I can make changes to it from the browser.

xLights to test, configured it for Unicast as is the E682 card, universe 1, channels 1-150. Nothing happens when I go to test and attempt to turn on anything. Yes, the check block is set to command the lights. Now this all works just fine on my P12S, so its not like I'm going into this blind as such. I took the exact same strip and connected it to the P12S, it tests just fine and works normally. So either there's something wrong with my E682 configuration, xLights having some issue or some other unknown. Help!

post-9959-0-71740000-1423445871_thumb.jp

Edited by dgrant

In the image you have the test pattern set to 6.  Are you resetting that value to 0 when testing with xLights?

Edited by basis21b

No, I left it there. I only changed the test pattern number to verify the card was functioning. Just still couldn't command it with xLights. Guess I'll have to change that to 0 and see if it comes to life! 

No, I left it there. I only changed the test pattern number to verify the card was functioning. Just still couldn't command it with xLights. Guess I'll have to change that to 0 and see if it comes to life! 

There's your problem, must be value 0

Thank you both, will test that this afternoon after work. I knew it had to be something simple...lol, tried everything else!

Thank You both...that was it. Today I turned off the self-test function by setting it to "0" and sure enough, now it works perfectly. Thanks again

I had the exact same issue at the start of last season.

Something so simple caused me uncountable hours to track down

I had the exact same issue at the start of last season.

Something so simple caused me uncountable hours to track down

Care to venture a guess as to why I focused on the test pattern setting?