Light-O-Rama Forums
BrianBruderer

Price Reduction for SuperStar Licenses and FREE upgrade

I was also thinking I did something wrong, after the third time of hitting 'Re-register'. Now I might have to get some more keys released. lol 

Probably not.  We do some magic behind the scenes and can differentiate between re-installs (even after full formats), and new installs.  You can re-install on the same machine a million times, and only use a single seat.

• Like 1

DevMike:

Re: (Probably not.  We do some magic behind the scenes and can differentiate between re-installs (even after full formats), and new installs.  You can re-install on the same machine a million times, and only use a single seat)

Had the hard drive crash on my show machine just before Christmas. Got a new machine and used another seat. My question, if I get a new hard drive for the one that crashed. Would it be considered a machine that had LOR on it before? The reason I would like to fix the old crashed machine, is it had better graphics cards and more ram and more USB's than the new machine.

DevMike:

Re: (Probably not.  We do some magic behind the scenes and can differentiate between re-installs (even after full formats), and new installs.  You can re-install on the same machine a million times, and only use a single seat)

Had the hard drive crash on my show machine just before Christmas. Got a new machine and used another seat. My question, if I get a new hard drive for the one that crashed. Would it be considered a machine that had LOR on it before? The reason I would like to fix the old crashed machine, is it had better graphics cards and more ram and more USB's than the new machine.

We don't like to give out specifics on how we determine if a machine is a re-install or not.  Changing the HD may or may not use a seat.  Even if it does, should you run out of seats in the future we can quickly update your license.  A quick help desk ticket will get you up and running.

The only reason we watch installs is for blatant outright theft.  I have never seen a request for more seats denied, ever.

The Visualizer will design 60 CCRs just fine.

Yes, but it's easy to to run out of fixture space for things other than CCRs - especially pixels.  I already lie to Visualizer (and therefore SSE) with my 12 string pixel tree.  It's 12 CCRs until I do a copy & paste in SE.  I have to run 2 visualizer sessions to display my show because for that I can't use the CCR cheat to display the pixels.  For 2015, that's going to be worse since I'm adding 4 more strings to the tree and another about 120 pixels...

Yes, but it's easy to to run out of fixture space for things other than CCRs - especially pixels.  I already lie to Visualizer (and therefore SSE) with my 12 string pixel tree.  It's 12 CCRs until I do a copy & paste in SE.  I have to run 2 visualizer sessions to display my show because for that I can't use the CCR cheat to display the pixels.  For 2015, that's going to be worse since I'm adding 4 more strings to the tree and another about 120 pixels...

Then you are not running CCRs.  That is my point.  I see where you edited your original post to leave that out.

Soooo... since I'm still using v3.8.2 (perhaps antiquated, but still an amazing and fully functional product), I don't see any of the options described for re-registering to accomplish this upgrade. Is it time to bite the bullet and upgrade my license to the 21.1st century? :)

Then you are not running CCRs.  That is my point.  I see where you edited your original post to leave that out.

Nope..Have not edited any of my posts in this thread.  My post #22 specifically said pixels.  I do have 6 strings of CCPs and a bunch of channels of dumb RGB using LOR DC boards, but other than the CCPs, all the smart pixels are WS2811s being driven by SanDevices E1.31 boards.  Too many things I'm doing there is no practical way to do with LOR hardware, so smart pixels is the only way to go.  Let me give a couple examples:

1)  I have about 30 inches of smart strip in front of each of 17 roses.  Theoreticaly I could have used three CCR and cut them apart (as I did with the 2811 strip), but the three required controllers would not have fit well where the single E6804 is mounted - not to mention needing 120V power out in the rosebed.

2)  For Christmas 2015 I'm adding 6 Coro candy canes.  I could do it with CCPs, with a bunch of splicing (as I will do with 2811 rectangular pixels), but the single light source in each segment of the candy cane would not look as good, and again, I would need 120V power.

This is in answer to Mike Berck's post.

You cannot re-register through SuperStar. I know it may seem strange, but to re-register the superstar license you need to do it through the sequence editor. To re-register:

1) launch the sequence edior

2) click on the Help menu and select "Upgrade Light-O-Rama"

3) enter in your license information

You asked about using v3.8.2. You can as long as you are not upgrading to 40 CCRs or 60 CCRs because v3.8.2 only supports up to the 24 CCR level. If you are upgrading to 40 CCRs or 60 CCR license level then the following applies:

In order to use the free upgrade, you must be using a version of our 
software that supports the new higher level:

Version 3.10.8 or higher is required if you are trying to upgrade from 
the 24 CCR to 40 CCR version.
Version 3.12.2 or higher is required if you are trying to upgrade from 
the 40 CCR version to the new 60 CCR version.

I keep getting registration error  Error communication with Light-O=Rama registration server:  12029: Cannon connect. 

I used the offline registration on the same computer so I'm guessing something isn't communicating with LOR.  

Edited by friskybri

I keep getting registration error  Error communication with Light-O=Rama registration server:  12029: Cannon connect. 

I used the offline registration on the same computer so I'm guessing something isn't communicating with LOR.  

I think LOR may have been experiencing some com problems this morning.  Was reading the forums and then suddenly everything stopped.

Soooo... since I'm still using v3.8.2 (perhaps antiquated, but still an amazing and fully functional product), I don't see any of the options described for re-registering to accomplish this upgrade. Is it time to bite the bullet and upgrade my license to the 21.1st century? :)

Just to add a little bit to what Brian said about this: If your Sequence Editor's Help menu doesn't show "Register Light-O-Rama" or "Upgrade Light-O-Rama", it means you've already got the highest license level that is understood by the version of LOR that you're running.  So getting an upgrade to a higher license level won't accomplish anything unless you also install a newer version of the software.

This is great. Now i can realy afford to upgrade to a 24cc license in a couple months. Now if some one can tell me how to go about downloading my licencing onto another computer that would be great.

Now if some one can tell me how to go about downloading my licencing onto another computer that would be great.

Just download the software from the website and put in your License key...you can download up to 5 computers.

If you don't have your License Key you can retrieve it from the LOR website.

http://www1.lightorama.com/software-license-retrieval/

Edited by jimswinder

Just download the software from the website and put in your License key...you can download up to 5 computers.

If you don't have your License Key you can retrieve it from the LOR website.

http://www1.lightorama.com/software-license-retrieval/

Oh ok, so it will ask for my license key then. Got it. Getting my show computer re built. Gonna run it with 2 monitors for better sequencing. 

Brian,

With this early Christmas present, My license is at 60 CCRs now. Thank you and LOR for that gift.

However, a buddy of mine will have a ton of pixels added this year and I was going to send him an effect he was struggling with. His set up will be 80 + 50 pixel strings, so I was going to send 60. I can only add 50 CCRs though.

I'll send this to your email also, so you'll see it wherever you check first.

Thanks,

Ron

You are correct, in CCR mode you will be limited to 50 CCRs. This limit does not have to do with the license level but has to do with real estate available on the screen. The worst case is when doing "wrap around" mode and I chose 50 as the limit because after that the squares in the grid get so small as to be unusable.

You can however have more than 50 CCRs in visualization mode. You need to make a visualization of your CCRs and then import it into SuperStar.

As for the need for license levels above 60 CCRs, I do hope to support an 80 CCR license later this year. To properly support large numbers of pixels I need to put the sequencing grid and the representation of your display into two separate windows. Then if you have two monitors you can put each in their own monitor and then there is more space for everything. Without such a feature having an 80 CCR license level is not usable.

Also, as pixel counts increase the new lightorama enhanced protocol becomes necessary or else you will have lag in your sequence. Right now that is what myself and the other Light-O-Rama programmers are working on.

I sure hope it all happens soon. I am having to delete some sequencing to make the visualizer run smooth. If anyone can crash it I can. LOL...

Jeff

Yes, officially the 60 CCR license will export 9000 channels.

But actually, the 60 CCR license will export 61 CCRs, I threw in an extra CCR for those who have just a little over 9000 channels.

Also, the 40 CCR license will export 41 CCRs for the same reason.

But the 24 CCR license and below export the exact number of CCRs as their name implies.

On 1/19/2015 at 0:08 PM, BrianBruderer said:

The price of the SuperStar license levels have all been reduced! In addition, existing holders of a SuperStar license get a free upgrade to the next license level.  All you need to do is re-register your software with your existing license key and you will get the upgrade.

Also, a new 60 CCR license level has been added.

Here are the old and new prices of the license levels:

old price    new price
  2 CCRs    49.95         29.95
  4 CCRs    99.95         49.95
  8 CCRs   199.95        99.95
24 CCRs   299.95      199.95
40 CCRs   399.95      299.95
60 CCRs     N/A         399.95

Just curious and this may have been asked already but why is there not a 12 or 16 CCR level????