Light-O-Rama Forums

Just starting out and have a question

Socalham

So after seeing a Christmas display with my kids I'm hooked. Just seeing how much my kids enjoyed watching. Got me looking into how it all works and now I'm hooked. I love stuff like this so I Went to a couple of after Christmas sales and bought some led lights enough to do 8 mini trees and the roof line. But here comes the question for all the old timers. What advise would you give to someone starting out. Now I'm not asking for what controller or what lights to buy. But what is the best ways to run cables , things to stay away from or things that just have a high learning co$t. Sometimes the little tips and tricks help the most. Thanks for all your help

David

Well not sure if this is what you are looking for but here goes

When I started with 1 controller about 7 years ago. I took a pic of my house from the front street and I imagined at what angle viewers would be looking. I then used that pic to layout the display, It is used for everything from prop placement to running cables. I print several of these pics on heavier card stock paper so I can draw on them. I then keep these from year to year so I can make changes if something didn't work that year or etc. The key to having a great display every year is all the work behind the scenes of that display; and to be organized and proper planning.

Good Luck with your new found hobby and welcome to the addiction!!! 

• Like 1

Given that I am probably repeating something that you have already read, here are a couple of tips. First this is nor a cheap hobby ... that being said, you can start small with a good show for a reasonable amount and grow each year, spreading out the cost.

There are a couple of ways to go: LED & incandescent, LED only, RGB and combinations of all. I started last year with Incan and LED. I purchased 2 controller kits from LOR and had a lot of fun building them. My show this year used about 25 channels. Now I am using the sales to purchase upgrades from Incandescent to all LED. I have made a flexible plan for next year and will use the rest of the year to build my 2015 show.My software this year was LOR Basic Plus. I will upgrade to Advanced this year because I will possibly add some RGB to the show. 

Realize that there is a learning curve for programming. Yes, you can purchase sequences, or find free ones on the net, but using what you get, learn to make changes to fulfill YOUR visualization.

The important thing about hardware is that you should keep 120vac supply lines fron your outlets short and let your CAT-5 lines carry the message to "on-site" controllers. Then use SPT-1 or 2 to supply the lights. I suspect that the factories that make SPT wiring love the lighting hobbyists and professionals.

As Sonoma said above, get a picture in mind, note it down somewhere, make a plan, see what you already might have, and then purchase what you need. The internet allows you to research the hows and wheres of the hobby, and lets you compare prices and quality of materials in your display. There are numerous videos on youtube showing displays around the world, how to build displays and individual items, etc. Finally, read through the sections of this forum, and you will find answers. Above all, don't be afraid to ask what you might think are dumb questions. We all have been there and still have to ask for help on occasion.

Search this forum.... there are a lot of tips and tricks threads that have been started over the years, all with tons of good advice for newbies.

Consider starting with a picture of your house. Store it in the computer as it'll be used as background for the visualizer. Now print out multiple copies and start drawing strings of lights on them and note how you are going to control them. This will dictate your hardware requirements. You can do a lot with 16 channels or one controller but I would think that 32 channels(2 controllers) would give you a whole lot to work with. I have 144 AC channels but truly, most of the house is on 32 channels. The channel eaters are megatrees, arches and etc... Go straight to the advanced level of software as this will give you the most capability. CCR's, RGB Pixels, RGB Dumb strips all go beyond so I would wait on those till you are sure if you are going to become more invested in this hobby first. Now don't forget, you'll probably need an FM transmitter and a tune-too sign(s). Don't get the whole house transmitter. Opt for a better one and there's lots of threads in this forum about that. Without continuing too far, know that if you are running from a PC, you'll need LOR's USB/RS485 adapter providing you'll run the wire from the PC to the first controller. If not and you need to go wireless, you'll need a pair of ELL's and a powered USB/RS485B adapter.

I started this past year (2014) with 32 channels and I think it was the perfect amount in terms of learning but still giving me enough elements to put on a decent show.  Break-down wise its 6 channels for the eaves and garage door (red/white), 7 channels for the window frames, 4 channels for the colored pillars, 1 channel for the tree on the right and 14 channels for the red/white mini-trees.  Approximately 4000 lights in total (~300 of them being C9s).  I ran everything through my laptop so I'm unfamiliar with the other methods.  I also bought a recommended FM transmitter on Amazon for ~$70 I think. 

https://vimeo.com/116557428

I would start planning now.  Decide what you want as your separate (16 or 32) elements.  Then build a quick spreadsheet to keep track of what kinds, types, costs, measurements, for the lights you want to illuminate.  If you're starting new, you can get in on the winter pre-sales now to save money.  

I started with the Basic+ software to get the beat wizard (a must), this year though I'll be going up to Advanced so I can run DMX.

Even if you don't get the LOR equipment now, download the sequence editor (free) and start playing around with it now.  It will give you a good sense of how yo'll be spending countless hours in the upcoming months.  I also highly recommend watching John Storms 4 part series on sequencing (on youtube).

When I got started I kept reading everyone ending their posts with "this is VERY addicitive" or "be careful going down this rabbit hole" and I thought they were crazy.  Alas, they were not. 

Go meet LOR friends in your area.  You will have a lot of questions every step of the way.  This forum is great and full of information but someone in your area may be willing to show you the ropes and save you time and money.

Grinch had a very good point.  Find other LOR people in your area.  Generally they will be invaluable.  To make that a bit easier, edit your profile so it tells where you are. 

Am I correct that your user name can be broken down to So Cal ham?  If so, where in SoCal, and care to share your callsign?  There are a bunch of hams here.

Don't purchase extension cords. Those can be very costly when you start running a lot of channels & props.

Make your own buying the SPT cord in 1000' roles and vampire plugs in bulk (male and female).

Label each end of each cord when they get put in place and hooked up. It will save tons of time the next year.

As mentioned before. Try to keep the controllers closest to the location for the props/lights they are running and let the cat5 cable do the long runs for communication to each controller.

Purchase wire ties in bulk. I'm talkin 1000 count bags of them. You will find out how many you use in a short amount of time.

Take pictures of everything!!! I promise you will go back at some time to see something and how it was done, laid out, looked or what ever.

Don't purchase on impulse. Search the web.

As mentioned, visit with other LOR users in your area and ask for face time and to see what they have or do. Most of us gladly share and brag about what we have or what we do. And you develop a much needed friend for future questions/concerns.

And lastly, welcome aboard. Lots of great folks here with great knowledge.

Don's official planning guide for a new display.

1) Design - Asses your display area, and see what you can do. Now take your vision of what you want to do, and see if those are compatible.

2) Build - The longest part.

Get the items for your display.

Build the items for the display.

Make sure you have everything.

Determine the electrical needs. Make sure you have enough power. 

Make sure you know where things are going to plug in on the controllers.

Now ... you can start programming.

3) Install.

Some tips I found from my own experiences are probably things you've read before - which is generally why it is repeated. My first time doing a LOR synchronized show was last Christmas, and I surely learned quite a bit about LOR.

1. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask early and frequently - the earlier before Thanksgiving, the more likely you'll get an answer in a reasonable time frame. (Black Friday and on is when people often begin to either install their lights or do whatever prep they need to start hanging lights, and therefore center their efforts to perfecting their shows.)
  2. Don't be dismayed if your show doesn't turn out the way you think it should have - you're your own worst enemy. People will love your work no matter what. Their positive energy is what drives us to want to do it annually.
  3. Expect the unexpected - my plans changed about halfway through buying all the stuff I needed. Anticipating that stuff happens will allow you to continue working happily. Keep your mind open to all possibilities.
  4. Learning curves! There are a bunch of learning curves to the perfect light show - which you'll find on your own as you research and plan and create. Be ready and willing to accept the fact that you can only do better after the fact.
  5. Program the songs early on. Once you get those down, researching where to buy the lights, hanging them, and everything in between will come easily. Not stressing out thinking "Oh goodness, am I going to get these songs done in time?" is very helpful. Also, back up your files constantly. Also, take advantage of the sales around LOR and partners.

This list could go on and on and on. I'm still wrapping my head around the concept of DMX (something you'll more than likely want to jump into as time progresses). This community and forum base was created for people like you and I to understand and grow. You'll do wonderful things this year. Good luck!

LN

There's also quite a few groups on Facebook that are chock full of LOR users, many of whom used to be members here.  The "LOR Users" group is probably the best place to start.  There are also other groups that range from teaching basic and advanced sequencing, RGB, basic and advanced pixels, advanced pixel sequencing software, etc.  No affiliation whatsoever with LOR, but a treasure trove of great minds with thousands of years worth of cumulative experience to offer.  

BTW - if you wait until Thanksgiving for ANYTHING, you're screwed.  The time to be planning and learning starts NOW.  No offense, but until you get both teeth into this hobby you don't have a clue of all that needs to be learned, or even what questions to ask.  The time to be looking for lights (assuming LEDs) is also NOW, as this is the only time of year you'll find affordable prices on professional-quality light strings.  IMO, you'll be disappointed in anything less.

Good luck and welcome!

Edited by George Simmons

Plan plan plan, the more work you do prior to the Christmas season the more enjoyable the setup and light season seems to be. We divided to add a 12 ccr tree, 8 ccp arches along with lor software and 9-16 channel lor controllers and needless to say until it was all up it was very overwhelming.

Well thank you all for some great tips. I was planning to start out with 32 channels just give me more options. I have already downloaded the demo lor software and been trying to get my feet wet. And you guys aren't joking on the learning curve. And thats why I love you tube. As for where I live I'm located in Diamond Bar Ca. And you I am a Ham Radio guy. So I know a lot about expensive hobbies and rabbit hole. But this seems to be one my family can enjoy with me. Please keep the tips coming

Thanks

David. KF6DL

• Like 1

Well David. I'm right up the road from you in Glendora, and I run a LOR including E1.31 year round. I would suggest that drive up here some time to see what I'm doing, how I did it, and you should be able to learn some stuff in the process. BTW, if you do that today, my pixel tree has not been put away in the attic. Much easier to see it if you want to. I am planning on storing it later today, so if you want to see it, get ahold of me ASAP so I wait until you get here.

There's also quite a few groups on Facebook that are chock full of LOR users, many of whom used to be members here.  The "LOR Users" group is probably the best place to start.  There are also other groups that range from teaching basic and advanced sequencing, RGB, basic and advanced pixels, advanced pixel sequencing software, etc.  No affiliation whatsoever with LOR, but a treasure trove of great minds with thousands of years worth of cumulative experience to offer.  

BTW - if you wait until Thanksgiving for ANYTHING, you're screwed.  The time to be planning and learning starts NOW.  No offense, but until you get both teeth into this hobby you don't have a clue of all that needs to be learned, or even what questions to ask.  The time to be looking for lights (assuming LEDs) is also NOW, as this is the only time of year you'll find affordable prices on professional-quality light strings.  IMO, you'll be disappointed in anything less.

Good luck and welcome!

George, is that Canadian or American Thanksgiving you're referring to? ;)

For the OP, David you are doing the smartest thing you can, by asking questions and starting your planning now! For most of us, planning, acquiring, fabricating, sequencing and so on, all starts in January. Example, for next season, I've got pixels that just shipped out today for me. An extra power supply I ordered from LOR just arrived. As stated already, good planning makes for an easier time putting it all together. Labeling helps a lot too and the more complex a display becomes, the more important labeling, planning and organizing things becomes. BTW, I worked with a HAM guy for 25 years who lives in Rialto, N6IDX. He doesn't do Christmas lights...he's too cheap to spend for them...lol.

Best things to do are to watch the tutorials, use the search feature on the forums then ask specific questions.

Decide what your layout will look like now. By doing this now you will avoid the time crunch later on. (Nothing like completely redoing your display and finalizing the number of channels with only three months to go.)

Stay away from the Martha Stewart brand of Christmas lights. People here have experienced issues with them.

For saving money, check out yard sales, etc for people selling Christmas lights, especially LED ones, and those selling power cords. Be certain they are in good condition. A used outdoor power cord can be very cheap and save you a ton of money. For new, SPT-1 or SPT-2 with the corresponding male and female vampire plugs certainly is the way to go. You will use much more than you think so be certain you have plenty to spare. FYI, Christmas light sales start now for companies such as Holiday Lights Express and the best time to purchase the controllers, if you don't get them used, will be in the upcoming months during the Summer sale.

Your infrastructure will take more time than you think as well. Plan accordingly.

Think everything through. Deciding to do a show is the easy part. Then you get to decide what you want it to look like, the number of channels, which songs by which artists and how people will hear the music for your show. (FM transmitter and frequency sign or via outdoor speakers.)

Most of all, do this because you enjoy it. If it ever becomes a chore then it's not for you. Here's hoping you enjoy this hobby tremendously and wishing you the best of success in the Christmas season to come!

Edited by BryanZ