Light-O-Rama Forums

raspberry pi b+

Phillip W

Yes saw this on the christmas light fight show. my question is has anyone used this or tried too with LOR? wondering what its failure rate is. as seems that my laptop last about 3 years, so hoping maybe something like this can take the wear and tear off of the laptops. im hoping its ok to talk about it here.

thanks folks.

I've used the pi player for the last 2 years. Best upgrade to any show. You need to download xlights / Nutcracker to convert it to pi players format. Check out falconchristmas.com for all the info. You won't regret it. I can run my entire show from my cell phone.

I used the Falcon Pi Player (Raspberry Pi) to run my show this year with 5 LOR controllers using LOR dongle, 1 E682 and 1 Komby Sandwich.  Ran great and had absolutely no problems running the show.  I also experimented a bit and ran everything in DMX mode via FPP (Raspberry Pi) from a the E682 and again everything ran great.  The year prior I had ran everything from with the LOR show player on my laptop but the FPP is so much better; I can access it from my network and schedule everything, run different sequences, check whats going on, etc.  I can definitely say it was the best thing I implemented for my show this year, worked better than expected and much easier than I anticipated. 

The only thing I had to do out of the ordinary was advance the timing through FPP because after the conversions (LOR to xseq to fseq) it appeared the  timings were slightly off, but FPP team created a feature to be able to advance/retard the timing to compensate for these issues. This seems to be only a LOR sequencing issue, all the other sequencers didn't have this problem.  Not much of a problem just had to use the FPP settings to slightly advance the timing 50ms.

Definitely worth the little bit of money to play with.  I will be using the FPP from here on out, can't image my show without it.  It was truly amazing to see this little device work better than my laptop!

Edited by Deacon

thanks so much. i have nutcracker but have only toyed with it. do you need the noobs software at all? it comes downloaded on the sd card. ill check out your link thanks.

thanks so much. i have nutcracker but have only toyed with it. do you need the noobs software at all? it comes downloaded on the sd card. ill check out your link thanks.

Xlights/Nutcracker is definitely needed for converting files.  You can read more about what is needed and how to prepare the Raspberry Pi here:

What you need to get everything working:

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,200.0.html

Installation instructions:

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,483.0.html

I still love LOR S3 for sequencing and love the LOR controllers I have, but the FPP sure worked well for running the show and all my pixel controllers. 

Actually, the latest version of FPP can do the conversion on the Pi.   You upload the LMS file, then go to the convert tab and have it convert to a sequence.  

HOWEVER, that conversion doesn't have a bunch of the flags and setting that you have in xLights (like the ignore beat tracks things) and it also doesn't have any warning of information output which can make it much harder to diagnose issues with the channel mappings and outputs.

• The topic was locked