Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB LED Strips

James Hill

No problem Darryl, sounds good. If you use facebook look me up... I have a few video's of this years lights...I am still a beginner but looking to grow and grow...and grow...!!! My wife is the same...in her voice "don't tell me what you are going to do just do it...I am sure it will be great. Just don't turn this into Las Vegas!!" LOL

I don't use Facebook per say but I have a Facebook page. It's "Lamberts lights " the wife usually takes care of it.

It's funny you say Las Vegas. My neighbors directly behind me when they look out their back window say that's what it reminds them of. :-D

Happy New Year!

I am looking for guidance on using RGB strips around all of our windows. Is there a preferred way of accomplishing this as the strips do not seem to be capable of 90 degree bends at the corners?

Also looking for ideas on converting my Mega tree to use RGP strips.

For 90degree corners you can use something like this.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/2037576797.html

There a bit of a crapshoot. Some people have had success with them and others not so much

You can also just solder a short piece of wire at the corner between the 2 strips. This allows you to bend it to any angle. Just make sure to waterproof the ends after.

+1 on Darryl Lambert's recommendation to solder joints with plain old wire.   Another option we use is the mini-waterproof connectors from ebay (Item number 110954041422) when we have to connect larger RGB strip sections which allows us faster set-up/take down/storage.   You still solder them in like plain old wire, but they give you flexibility to disassemble without the bigger footprint of the normal waterproof connectors commonly used with controllers.

The corner pieces install quickly with a snap in pressfit and will probably work just fine indoors, but I've seen a LOT of complaints on the forums about them when exposed to temp extremes and moisture.  It's a trade-off between convenience and reliability.    I suppose it boils down to your willingness to get out there in the cold to fiddle with them if they become dislodged.