Light-O-Rama Forums

Rope lights for singing faces

claxton

Hey guys, I got through my first year (just 32 channels) of incandescent lighting and am wanting to change it all up for some singing faces and RGB dumb strips.  My first goal is to make the singing faces, which I have started this past weekend and have all the materials for my frames.  My question comes into where to get rope lights?  I have done quite a bit of browsing and it seems most vendors only offer rope light that can be cut at every 36".  I was hoping to find some that can be cut at every 18" and where I can buy the extra power cords.  I also was curious if more people lean towards using the cool white lights?  Can anyone recommend a good vendor to purchase these from?  Any help would be appreciated.  I love this hobby  :D

Thank you Doug for the reply.  I will have to lay things out once I have the frames completed and see if what you're recommending is a cost effective way to go.  I have read about people losing a section during a season and I want to make sure I have enough to cover replacements, etc.   Have you used them in the past for any of your projects and have they performed well without failures?

I tried the clips on my wire frame singing faces and didnt love the look of them.

I went with LED rope lights (cutable ever 20" style) and absolutely LOVE the look.

It might have been a bit more work to custom cut the ropes and zip tie them to the frame, but I think it was worth it.

I did rope lights for my Halloween singing faces and "lite-brite" style mini's from holidaycoro for my Christmas singing faces... I will be replacing them with rope lights and wire frames for 2015 as well!

Edited by lowepg

I was looking at the combo color clips but I can't figure out the diameter of the wire frame that they'll fit...am I just missing it or is it not there?

lowepg, where did you buy your rope light?  That's my original question.   My singing faces are being made up of pvc frame and garden fencing from lowes.  I also purchased a huge pack of tie wraps but I'm sure I will have to get more (750 pack).   I did look at Doug's wire frames and almost purchased them but I wanted my faces to be a bit larger and honestly I wanted to say I took the time to build them.  I assume that's what the clips being mentioned are about.

lowepg, where did you buy your rope light?  That's my original question.   My singing faces are being made up of pvc frame and garden fencing from lowes.  I also purchased a huge pack of tie wraps but I'm sure I will have to get more (750 pack).   I did look at Doug's wire frames and almost purchased them but I wanted my faces to be a bit larger and honestly I wanted to say I took the time to build them.  I assume that's what the clips being mentioned are about.

I can make them any size you might want them.

I use a pegboard frame and hot glue lights in designated locations. Has held up to weather for 3 years now. Check out "Colley Christmas" on YouTube to see 9 channel face in action.

I don't know if this helps or not but when my plan "A" fell thru, I scrambled and found, at Home Depot, under counter rope lights in lengths of 1,2,4 and 6 ft and was able to do both faces for Halloween without a single cut. They were incandescent but they worked fine. Gonna go with those again this Halloween. Not sure about Christmas uses since they are out in the elements longer

Rope light looks great. I use led rope light from Christmas leds.com. The only vendor I could find that offers 3/8 inch with 20" cuts. Been recommending them for over a year. Valerie offers a sale usually in late spring early summer so you could save a few bucks if you are patient.

Halloween 2 years old and looking good. Christmas 1 season old and of course looking good.

Frames made by Doug.

For my Christmas frames I was going to do clips and mini led lights. Measured, priced it out and rope is cheaper. Can't say if I would like how those minis would look but the rope looks fantastic.

Rope light looks great. I use led rope light from Christmas leds.com. The only vendor I could find that offers 3/8 inch with 20" cuts. Been recommending them for over a year. Valerie offers a sale usually in late spring early summer so you could save a few bucks if you are patient.

Halloween 2 years old and looking good. Christmas 1 season old and of course looking good.

Frames made by Doug.

For my Christmas frames I was going to do clips and mini led lights. Measured, priced it out and rope is cheaper. Can't say if I would like how those minis would look but the rope looks fantastic.

Thank you sax.  I am in no rush to purchase the led rope light, so I can wait for a sale.  I appreciate the helpful input guys!  

• The topic was locked