Light-O-Rama Forums

What was your best 'bang for the buck'?

aegault

Ours was without a doubt the 'dripping/meteor' LED lights. Bought 6 sets straight from China off Ebay (something like $80 total including shipping) and everyone went wild for them. Only problem is I want like triple that amount for just one tree for next year!

+1 on the Virtual Santa.  By far...

Those CA kids are wrong - everyone knows Santa lives in Clearwater, MN ...

:D :D :D

• Like 2

+2 on virtual santa it was deff a big hit.

I heard one child yell " it's him it's really him high santa". Made all worth it.

I would have to say for me!  It was not putting out everything this year. My Wife’s and my family kept giving use a hard time about the display outside and in the house for years. Also how much money we put into it. But expected us to host Christmas and pay for all of it, as well feed them for 10 days and house them and also them not contributing to anything. It was so bad for example, if we ran out of something they would tell use to go get more instead of going to the store and buying it them self. Or if we didn't have something they wanted. They would use to go get it.  

So we decided to only put lights on the house and I left what I had up on the tree from Halloween. For the inside we but up 1 tree and nothing else.hen when they showed up at the door we told them what the new house roles were for the holiday. That if they stay in are house they would have to contribute to the food for the time they stay and it will not be a free ride anymore.  So when they came over they saw a yard not dancing to lights and the house inside looked like it does all year long.

After a day or two they commented it didn't feel like charismas without the decorations. And buy the time they left they apologized to me and my wife on how they expected use to do everything and them expecting use to pay for everything and their actions.

I now people would say that not right. But we were teaching them a lesson this year.  It was getting bad so we had to do something to make them see what they were doing. And don't get me wrong are families have money to help out there just cheep.

Edited by HallowXmas
  • Like 5

Good for you!

Being generous is one thing.  Being taken advantage of is another.

Sounds like your plan worked just fine.  If anyone's feelings were hurt that's on them - not you.

sounds like they got a box of humility for Christmas, it will serve them well for years to come.....

when you guys say virtual santa, what exactly is that? Projections on a window?

Ours was without a doubt the 'dripping/meteor' LED lights. Bought 6 sets straight from China off Ebay (something like $80 total including shipping) and everyone went wild for them. Only problem is I want like triple that amount for just one tree for next year!

believe it or not.. ours too.  tens of thousands of dollars worth of lights and props and the drip tube I paid $18 for were a big hit.  Go figure.. LOL

+1 on Virtual Santa.

But we only rolled out our Virtual Santa for Christmas Eve (and Christmas night). And yes, it was a big hit. But it was so realistic, some kids were crying out of fear Santa saw them or he would get to their house before they got into bed. One little girl said to me "That's your house? Santa is in your house? You should go in there and scare him out!".

I had more than one adult ask if Santa was a hologram...

Virtual Santa for me since 2010. I have a large display, i'm one of 3 huge displays in the area.  1 of which has about 100 cars/hour starting on Thanksgiving.  It's awesome.  But everyone has been buzzing about the house where Santa lands on Thanksgiving and starts wrapping presents!

Last year my 12 CCR mega tree got the most attention, this year people seemed to be fascinated with my 3, 9 CH arches. Going to add 3 more next year.........

For me it was a little $80 laser light show from Spencer gifts.  Stuck it under the eve of the roof and pointed it onto the driveway.  Everyone went crazy about it.

I don't have a good place to put a virtual Santa or I probably would get it.

sounds like they got a box of humility for Christmas, it will serve them well for years to come.....

when you guys say virtual santa, what exactly is that? Projections on a window?

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/product.php?productid=1072&cat=98&page=1

I'm hoping to add this in 2015 too.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Here is what virtual Santa looked like in our window.

http://vimeo.com/116275878

But I'm going to qualify my vote for my own "best bang for the buck"... The virtual santa was a huge hit, but we only ran that Christmas Eve and Christmas Night. Overall, for the entire time we ran the display, I think the best "bang for the buck" might have been my new minitrees.