Light-O-Rama Forums

So what's the Verdict

NEWTOUR

I have been searching for a while now and can't seem to find a definite answer.

Do you have to keep all the BAK, LCS, & LSV files.  I was wondering both for on your desktop and when making a backup disk of all your sequences? Any help is appreciated, even if it is just a redirect to another post I couldn't seem to find. Thanks in advance.

Me personally, I delete all of the files, but save the LMS on another drive. Once you open the file up, all of the others come back again anyways. If you dont save your files somewhere else, or copy them, I suggest you save the BAK file. I say this because I did have a system crash, got one of those programs that can find stuff after it has been erased and all it found were the BAK files. I then in turn renamed the files to LMS and presto, I had my sequences back. Trying to rename the LSV or LCS file did not work

• Like 1

Well, renaming the LSV for LCS wouldn't work, because they aren't actual sequence files.

The LSV file is something long time users of LOR had been asking for. Give us a way to save our zoom other other visual preferences within each sequence. For me at least it's frustrating to have to reset the zoom each time.

• Like 1

Me personally, I delete all of the files, but save the LMS on another drive. Once you open the file up, all of the others come back again anyways. If you dont save your files somewhere else, or copy them, I suggest you save the BAK file. I say this because I did have a system crash, got one of those programs that can find stuff after it has been erased and all it found were the BAK files. I then in turn renamed the files to LMS and presto, I had my sequences back. Trying to rename the LSV or LCS file did not work

The LCS file is the compressed version of the sequence. It it created every save because you have your preferences set that way.   The LSV is helpful to save sequence specific preferences but there is no need to back it up.

SavingPreferences.jpg

Edited by ItsMeBobO

Thanks for the info Bob O.. Just one of those kind of guys that hates clutter. I dont use the visualiser so no need for the file

Thanks for the info Bob O.. Just one of those kind of guys that hates clutter. I dont use the visualiser so no need for the file

Just to be clear the LSV is not a visualizer file. It's created via the sequence editor.

Sounds good Guys, I'm with msteiner57 I just hate the clutter?

From what I am gathering you could delete all files except for LMS and everything would function perfectly? Does anyone know what specific preferences it saves and doesn't save? As long as I didn't loose the channel configuration or any changes made I think I would rather have the "cleaner " look when going through files. Any pros and cons to this theory please advise. THANKS EVERYONE

The .bak file is created/overwritten each time you open a sequence so it's actually a waste of time to keep deleting those unless you're archiving your sequences for long-term storage.  And if you do something bad or incredibly stupid you'll DEFINITELY like the fact that a backup is readily available.

The .lsv file, like Don explained, contains many of the variables/preferences you set for each sequence: the height of channel rows, the width of the channel name column, etc.  Nothing critical, but if you're constantly working on and tweaking sequences (like many of us do) or just hate having to reset those things each time you open a sequence file, that's what the .lsv eliminates.

The .lcs file is the compressed sequence.  If you're not using compressed sequences in your shows, and you're sitting there in the dark waiting and waiting between sequences for the next one to start, that's what compressed sequences will eliminate.  If you're running 16-channels this isn't an issue.  When you get up into hundreds or thousands of channels, the compressed sequences are exactly what you need.

Edited by George Simmons

One size does not fit everyone on the compressed sequences.  Set the show computer to use compressed sequences during the show season only.  As George said they will greatly help your show load times.   But creating the compressed sequences when you dont need them (and they get recreated every save) just adds more wait time when saving.  Turn off compressed files on the sequencing computer if you use one.   Make use of the 'Sequence Compressor' option too.  Instead of waiting while SE builds the compressed file,  Do them all in a unattended batch with sequence compressor when its nearly the day your show will start. 

• Like 1

From a software programmer's view, files are not created just for the fun of it. They are there for specific reasons that the programmer had to do for all the various possibilities and this was the best way to handle all the issues. Files take up valuable CPU time and the architecture slows down to access them, so its not something that's done lightly. As its already been stated, they are there for their individual reasons and always to help us!

• Like 1

Excellent!!! This is why  I started this thread. I wanted all the pros and cons to make an educated decision for my situation. Thanks to all for you input!!!! As stated many times in many threads this is a great community of enthusiast's and once again your all coming through for me.