Light-O-Rama Forums

Best way to get an image on CCR Tree in SuperStar?

robigd

What is the best way to get an image on a CCR Tree in SuperStar? I.e, if I wanted to put a Mickey Mouse head in the show, do I need to draw this from scratch and draw it pixel by pixel or is there a way to import an image and have SS make its best attempt at rendering it? I am guessing I need to draw it from scratch but would kick myself if I did that and there was an easier way.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you need to draw it from scratch. I have had request to put in an "import jpg" feature, but I have never done it because it really wouldn't work well. If you start with a high resolution image and reduce the resolution to something like 12x12 the image would not be recognizable any more. It is best to play with the pixels until you get something that looks reasonable. It takes some practice to be able to get a reasonable image using the low resolutions that are necessary for CCRs.

I messed around with some images, if ya have Photshop, you can import a pic you like into photoshop, create a grid like you would have with your mega tree, for me it was a 50x16 grid, i overlay that  grid onto the the pic then fallow that as to what pixels to use to create the picture.

Thank you gentlemen for your responses.

Jerry, I though about trying that, but was a bit confused about a couple things:

1. In a 16x50 grid, how will images near the top render on the tree since the spacing gets skewed?
2. How do you handle pixels in SS that have more than 1 color on them when overlaying the grid on the image?

I am tempted to make some graph paper that resembled the tree and give it to an artist buddy and let him "draw" them, lol

Edited by robigd

Thank you gentlemen for your responses.

Jerry, I though about trying that, but was a bit confused about a couple things:

1. In a 16x50 grid, how will images near the top render on the tree since the spacing gets skewed?

2. How do you handle pixels in SS that have more than 1 color on them when overlaying the grid on the image?

I am tempted to make some graph paper that resembled the tree and give it to an artist buddy and let him "draw" them, lol

I made a mistake, i make a 16x16 grid, not a 16x50 grid. For some reason i can not post a picture, when i try and post a pic it asks for a URL otherwise i would show you what i do. As for the color, i so far have just used simple pictures like a cartoon Santa so i dont have to worry about complicated pictures. As far as the picture being skewed, i keep the picture in the bottom 20 or so pixels when i draw it that way it will be seen whole before it rises up the tree or to the side.

Edited by jerry72

• 1 month later...

Yes, you need to draw it from scratch. I have had request to put in an "import jpg" feature, but I have never done it because it really wouldn't work well. If you start with a high resolution image and reduce the resolution to something like 12x12 the image would not be recognizable any more. It is best to play with the pixels until you get something that looks reasonable. It takes some practice to be able to get a reasonable image using the low resolutions that are necessary for CCRs.

I've had good success drawing images as well.  We ran into the "import" problem with nutcracker.  Some images are so dense and complex that they end up looking like crap.  The best images I've been able to import with nutcracker were "sprite" images.