Light-O-Rama Forums

Director vs Mini

lilouisianagal

We've had 2 controllers running a few songs on schedule for the past 4-5 years. First couple of years we used my hubby's old PC, then once that died, I got parallels and have been running it from my Mac since then. I've been toying with the idea of getting a show time director so we can use the computer during Christmas time. We get hardly any viewing traffic (not many lights in the neighborhood and we are off of the main road, so mainly friends and family who come by). It looks like I have two options the big ShowTime Director ($$$) that would be able to keep up with the schedule or get the Mini Director ($) and we would have to add a button or motion detector. Any pros or cons between the two? 

Aside from the ones you mentioned:

Showtime Director has the ability to have more than one show loaded onto the SD card, and can play those shows at different times. You could also have hourly, 30 min, 15 min or 10 min, with a 'filler' sequence between the shows.

Neither director has the ability to do background or startup sequences.

The mini director does have an input for a switch or motion detector, but I haven't used it or ever looked into using it to trigger a show.

When I used it, I had the controllers on a timer. When they got power, the mini director did too, and started the show.

So is there a way to use the mini director where you can have static (or a loop) until someone presses a button/sets off motion detector?

Yes, it can; look at the documentation.

The other good thing about the Showtime director unit is the ability to run rgb stuff (like ccr ribbons). Also if you do not want to place the show times on the SD card you can simply set the clock to start say at 6:00 pm & go off at say 10:00 pm & put the SD card in & when 6:00 pm comes along.the show will start & will run continuously until the end time kicks in. Or you can use another SD card and have a "all lights on" sequence. Take the show out & pop the other SD card in.

I like the director as it has a battery so it doesn't lose time/date if power goes out while your not home. When power comes back on the controllers power up and the show goes on as scheduled!