Light-O-Rama Forums

CCPs taking too much computing power?

gwallman1

I really didn't know where to post this because it is a combined CCP, 16-channel controller, Sequence Editor, and/or PC question.

I'm using CCPs for this first time this year. Love the effects that are possible. But I've noticed when they are doing more complex effects, the traditional lights on 16-channel controllers get very jumpy.

Admittedly, the timing within the sequences are very short - 0.05 seconds or shorter at times. But the react fine at those intervals until the CCPs start doing faster fades and such.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be my PC simply doesn't have a fast enough processor?

As an example, see this video. Specifically, at around 1:30, you see the arches dancing fine. But then around 1:45, the CCPs kick on for multiple color fades very quickly and the arches begin getting very jumpy, skipping some of the segments bouncing back and forth.

At around 1:00, the trees also don't react quite right. But that isn't as noticeBle as the arches.

As always, thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I'd be leaning towards network congestion on the LOR side, and not your PC. The PC doesn't need much processing power to run the show.

If you are not using a USB485-HS (that's red) and the 500k network speed, then I would suggest you go that route for 2015. If you have G3 based 16 channel controllers (green status light) then you can run that on the 500k network as well. If you have older 16 channel controllers (red status light) then you would need to run two networks. Each network would need its own USB485 adapter.

I had  some jumpy sequence problems adding ram to my show computer smoothed  things out for me.

What are/were the specs on that machine? How large were the sequences? Any CCR/CCP/CCB's in the mix?

Had a PM also advising of multiple networks.

They are older controllers (been using them 7 or 8 years now).  PC has 2.8 GHz processor with 6 GB of RAM.

I appreciate the feedback.  I'll give running 2 networks a shot next year.  We do plan on adding either another controller or another set of CCPs, just haven't decided which yet.  Run 5 controllers and 3 sets of CCPs currently.

Thanks again!

• The topic was locked