Light-O-Rama Forums

Rude People

jkosek

I live one the dead end section of a 3 way stop/intersection. people park across the street, lined up and have front row viewing. Until that one SUV parks in front of the house (red zone). I honestly don't think they realize there are a bunch of cars behind them watching with there lights off.

now one night, long after show had ended, my daughter came home from a date and was taking an awful long time saying good night while standing in the dark of the driveway.WHAAMMM! hit 'um with all white shimmering lights until she came in a minute later shaking her head. LOL Guess I was the rude one that night!

WHAAMMM.

Too flipping funny.

Did she have to get a new boyfriend?

At least have the one she had change his pants?

As I'm sure you startled the ____ out of him.

We're losing communication and interaction skills. You don't learn or practice them, with your face in an electronic gadget 24/7. We're getting several generations of people that can only comuncate, mostly gibberish...128 characters at a time.   

People are getting so use to instant  gratification and having things happen at a push of a button.  If they actually have to "talk it out"  they're clueless and just get fustrated or angry.

We have  gone from dialing up and calling someone, to email, to tea handful of words with texting and twiter.  If you have to pull your face away from your little gadget

Saxon, I love it. Not an issue me as I have 2 boys (both now adults).

A coworker of mine who was a reserve deputy sheriff, had a solution to the boyfriend problem. Seems every time a new boy came over to pick up his daughter, Hugh was in the living room cleaning his service revolver...

I had an ahole on Xmas eve. Cars lined out my subdivision with a 20 min wait. I only had two songs running with 3 voice overs. I had a car load come around the back side and park in the middle of the street blocking the street against the flow of traffic. He argued with me over an over again. Stating he would move when needed but what he doesn't realize is it only takes two more cars to cause a traffic jam and yes it has happened and sucks trying to get it un-done. People like this make me not want to do a show some times. But then you get the little girl that so giddie and giggley smiling from ear to ear then you get an older gentlemen that be-boppin in his car with the music and I hear his wife say to him what has gotten into you!! Then comes out to tell me that he loved it and felt like a kid again. So those are the memories we need to hold on to and keep doing what we do. Make people smile. At least I have to keep telling my self that. There are more good memories then the 1% of jackasses that we have to deal with. From young adults blaring music not want to acknowdlege me and then when asked to turn down through a crack in they're window and they turn it up more. Leaving me no choice to show them up(and in front of they're ladies od course LOL) and turnign the music down for them. They left right away. They weren't very happy with me. All in all we just have to put up with it. We build it they will come.

The biggest petpeav for me was people asking me constantly address and directions. OMG its not like its posted on my website or facebook page also in the paper etc. Finally I had to put it in big geen bold on my facebook cover photo to get it across to people. Its the hand holding mentaility these days. We just got to remember why we doing for the kids and the kids at heart. 

• Like 1

Hey we are in control of the lights if the <CENSORED> won't turn down the music or is blocking traffic or parking like a <censored again>  I remote into the show PC and select Disable Show Immediately!

I had to turn down the music because someone had it loud and his windows were up.

I feel lucky after reading this. In 10 years my only problem was a neighbor who honked as he drove by, or if cars were moving slowly, get got right behind them and laid on the horn till they moved and he was past our property.  Funny as it was not till 5 years ago he started, had problems for 3 seasons, and finally last year, we had no problem with him. I do get the occasional limo full of partyers who had a few too many nips, but knock on wood, no issues. My display is mostly a walking display though. Due to my corner lot, a few can park to watch from cars, but they miss 75% of everything. I do get the stragglers after the show ends, I tell them sorry, check FB or the webpage for the hours, and have a funny quip about the neighbors loving me 11 months of the year, and putting up with me for 1, and that I don't want that to flop the other way.

I do however fully realize the entitled times we live in. As pointed out above, we have the power and can control it.

Hey we are in control of the lights if the won't turn down the music or is blocking traffic or parking like a   I remote into the show PC and select Disable Show Immediately!

I had to turn down the music because someone had it loud and his windows were up.

This is true, but need to pick your battles carefully. I'd be nervous about pissing off the wrong people and waking up to stuff stolen or broken. Worlds full of crazy people

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have been pretty lucky for the most part The one thing tho that drives us crazy is that we have signs and even have voice over messages that say please stay out of the yards for your own safety. At least 3 or 4 times weekly through out the season we will have little kids(and parents) running through the yards, tripping over all the cords,hitting the blowups and we even had a 5 yr old that ran into the yard and began to shake our CCR tree ( which is 20ft high and well over 100lbs) while the mother stood by the road and laughed!

Seems like people have the right to walk on your property once you put the lights on. Traffic is another issue. We live in a Cul-de-sac and all the houses decorates and we even run power to the trees in the circle so traffic is usually crazy. You get the people that block the road, go the wrong way, back up and hit mail boxes but considering we usually get over 100 cars daily its not to bad i guess. Just can't get over that kid shaking the ccr tree,lol 

we have only had one incident in 6 years and it was from the little old lady across the street.  we let her know when the show would run and it was during hours that she was normally awake (she went to bed at 9) but one night the police stop by to let us know that a "Ms and/or Mr Grinch" had complained that the music was too loud.  I had an idea of who it was so I went and stood in the middle of her yard and had my wife turn the amp down notch by notch until I could barely hear it (we used outdoor speakers) there but could still here it from the road.

The next year I added more and brighter lights facing in that direction and ran the show until 10pm.  When she (Ms BusyBody little old lady) thought the display should be more spiritual we added a huge Charlie Brown Nativity set.  We put it right next to Santa playing poker with Rudolph and the Elves!!

• 3 months later...

Good Job Caniac, That sounds like something I would do but I think I would add a few extra bright spot lights her way. Maybe from a corner or someplace that wouldn't really interfere with my show.If she complains I would respond like something like Its the bright Star.... follow it and see where it takes you. or some other Smart a.... remark.

as for as when people start getting to loud with their radios etc. How about having a announcement come over telling them turn your radios down please or the show will be discontinued out of respect for our neighbors. If they do not turn it down simply turn off the music... after they leave restart your show if you want to.

I think that generally speaking, most people are respectful and understand the implications to others. Yes, there seems there will always be people who simply don't care. Our only option is to put up tons of signs, alter how things work or not and place limitations where/when really there shouldn't be any. We can't stop the bad side of human nature but we can hope that people will get along and not try to make things bad for someone else. This last season, I was standing out there in the cold, wishing people a Merry Christmas and for that, I got a lot of "Bless You's" and others who said that I blessed them with the display. If my tiny couple of words helped to make for a better experience, so be it!

This is true, but need to pick your battles carefully. I'd be nervous about pissing off the wrong people and waking up to stuff stolen or broken. Worlds full of crazy people

unfortunately this is so true. So be very carefull how you deal with these Arses. They know where you live, do you know where they live?

They know where you live, do you know where they live?

Very, very true. I will have CCTV for 2015. Maybe two cameras. My neighbor's lights were snipped, and reindeer knocked over, and nothing had even been said. There are some "chavs" near where I live with some lights (Most don't work, it is a huge mess). I am pretty sure it is them who did it. I try to avoid them as they followed me once :/. They are not nice people, and I don't know how they will react when I get more people looking at my lights than theirs.

Best idea is to stick scary signs on the back of everything. Nobody will touch it.

danger_of_death_warning_sign.png

692119869.jpg

From urban dictionary

chav

Derived from Chatham in Kent, this term can be applied loosely to every culture with a nasty, thieving element. There are many variants of this creature but all are subject to the following commonalities:

Chavs are completely Amoral, having never been subjected to right and wrong by their inattentive, uncaring and often absent parents.

Chavs are part Magpie, evidentially supported by their love of all things shiny, or as vaccuous, illiterate street-slang would say 'Bling'. They can be seen twokking from the Jewelry counter in Argos/Index.

Whatever their ethnic background, Chavs have a built-in affinity to hip-hop/R&B, even if they are inherently racist (see the Scottish). They see their life as glamorous and cool.

Chavs are for the most part, extremely stupid. However, some of them render a form of low cunning, which can be misinterpreted as intelligence. However this is false. A Chav has no desire to better themself through honest means nor learn anything outside of car modification.

All chavs think that they are nails. Again, this is false. Sitting in a beaten up nova smoking lamberts does not precipitate a healthy body. The irony being that a Chav owns mainly sportswear, yet will only break a sweat if running from the police.

Chavs are incredibly fertile beasts, and are highly successful breeders. Where they come unstuck is having to look after the offspring which their 13 yr old drunken fumble produces. More often that not the child will crow to be a Chav, having received no more guidance on life than the parent.

Chavs have a fond love for cars, as well as a Vin Diesel fixation. Rather than buy a nice car to start with, a chav will spend all their dole and tax-free labouring cash on upgrading a 10 year old car with 200,000 miles on the clock. The end product will invariably be a luminous monstrosity with at least one serious collision to it's name.