Light-O-Rama Forums

USB485 not recognized

Jefffrompawpaw

This is an all around what the heck is going on.  This going to be a long post with a lot of info, but please add your input. The good news is the show is up and going but my confidence is shaken.

I noticed at 5PM tonight that my show was not running.  My show and computer have been running perfect from december 18th  until last night. 

I restarted my computer and got an error message.  Below are 3 of the 5-6 error message I got. I know screencaps are preferred but the computer with the running show on it I'm not going to mess with it since it's going.

1st error message USB device not recoginized.

So I unplugged tried same USB port= same issue

Tried other Usb ports and I started getting the second error message

2nd message Open serial port has failed

3rd message not pictured was Light o Rama is not responding. I got this one multiple times.

4th error message  Comm 4 port.  There were multiple different Comm 4 port error messages.

Things I tried multiple time until it worked again

Restarting my computer

Different USB ports

unplugging the 16 channel controller

uninstalled USB485 drivers and reinstalled

Cursing a lot

Ending the Light o Rama software an restarting.

Then something happed, I restarted the computer about the 4th time and the show started playing.

Success!! I shouted!  and half way throught the 1st song everything went silent. 

I restarted the computer, loaded up Light o Rama program, scheduled a show in the Easy Progam Builder,  enabled program and its going right now.  But everytime it gets quits i panic. 

D13AF9A1-BDF6-4B83-9AA6-04C7EA69C03A_zps

55F2D463-8900-4AC1-9B12-8D13F0EE06FF_zps

31B7C95D-2AAF-4C41-A86A-7E831B9A7AEF_zps

first off, you can't have the lor control panel and the hardware utility running at the same time. unload the lor bulb In the lower right corner then run the hardware utility. once you've done that you should be able to refresh the network(with your 485 plugged in and controllers power up) and reset your port. if that don't work, yo may have a bad adapter.

Once you do what the above says, if it still doesn't work, download and install the driver from the LOR site.... Don't let windows install one for you.

first off, you can't have the lor control panel and the hardware utility running at the same time. unload the lor bulb In the lower right corner then run the hardware utility. once you've done that you should be able to refresh the network(with your 485 plugged in and controllers power up) and reset your port. if that don't work, yo may have a bad adapter.

Once you do what the above says, if it still doesn't work, download and install the driver from the LOR site.... Don't let windows install one for you.

Roger on the not using the Hardware and control panel. 

Since I have it going(and it came back on tonight as scheduled)  I haven't decided to let it run like it is or add a couple new shows for The New Years and take off the XMas stuff. 

My gut feeling is it's a faulty adaptor because it ran really well for a long time so I assume the drivers are correct.  But who knows when I pulled out the instructional users manual it's from October,  2008.

Thanks for your input on the situation.  I wasn't sure if anyone would even comment as it is such a whoknowswhat problem.

Edited by Jefffrompawpaw