Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Linker Communication Failure Symptom?

msbreton

I've been running since Thanksgiving Day night with no issues but I had a problem last night that I'd love someone to confirm my analysis of.

I had a photographer from a local paper come by and he asked if I could just set it so all the lights would stay on for the photo. Sure, no problem. I shutdown the show, opened up the Hardware Utility and did a refresh. It only found 1 of my 2 16 channel boxes. UGH! So I quickly power cycled the one it wasn't finding a did a rescan. Ah, now it found 2. I clicked All On on box 2 and they all come on, but when I clicked All on on box 1 (the one not initially found) only about 1/3 of the lights came on and after a second or so, those went out. If I resent the "On" command over and over, I could get them back on, (1st just a few of them) but after more resends of "On", they would all come on but only for a few seconds or so (seemingly random lengths of time) and then they would all go out again. By repeatedly pressing Resend On, I was able to keep the lights on and he got his shot.

Laster, I figured, maybe this was a Linker Communication issue and the default state for loss of single was "Off". So I moved the Linker attached to my PC off the top of the PC (I know that was a bad place for it in the 1st place) and over a couple of feet. It's worked perfectly since.

So, long story short, can anyone confirm this sounds like a Communication issue and that the default light state for loss of Communication is "Off"?

Thanks!

Whew! I was pretty worried there for a while as my local News 10 folks were going to come by this morning (got rained out). Not only am I glad to have the issues fixed, but I'm very happy to know "why" I was seeing what I was seeing.

-Mike

I was looking this morning for a topic similar to this. I had a problem last night with my setup and at first I didn't realize what it was. I've toyed with radio as a hobby most of my life and should have seen the symptoms, my controllers seemed to ramdonly stop working. A small light came on (not controlled by LOR) in my head as I was looking at my computer (the one with the light linker attached) and I realized, I had moved the transmitter. My van (in my driveway) was now between the computer and the receiver and it was snowing out. All great things for causing interferance to RF signals. I moved the link linker to a higher position and lo and behold the problems all went away. Moral, be aware of antenna placement, you want as clear a path as possible between the 2 units or you could have problems.