Light-O-Rama Forums

A Basic RGB setup

marsh28

I am just starting to plan the addition of RGB for next year and have downed many a headache remedy absorbing it all.

For me, the most complex issue is planning. You have to know exactly what you want to do, and where you want to do it, because everything you will plan will likely determine how you will connect/power/control it. With straight incans/LEDs and LOR controllers, you simply put something somewhere and get an extension cord to your controller.... Not so with RGB.

So, I think for 2015, I am going to start out "medium", with HC pixel candy canes, WS2811 strip-in-PEX arches, and some window outlining with dumb RGB strips. I may also line the house with RGB floods - still thinking about that.

To give an example of the complicated planning involved (at least, when you have a budget, that is!): I am renting currently and cannot drill/mount anywhere. So my window outlining will have to be from the inside. Not a huge problem, I will build frames and mount the lighting to them, then lay them up in the windows. The problem? Controllers and wiring. I'd love to control each of the 4 sides independently, but that means a 4-channel controller, and I can't seem to find one. Two of the windows are close enough together to use a larger controller for the 8 channels, but the one window by itself? Not so much.

My elements will be far enough apart that I am reasonably sure that I will want to use E1.31 instead of straight DMX, but I'll admit that I am still confused at times over how to wire some of the dumb RGB controllers to the E1.31 bridges I see online. I also don't have a good sense for how long power and DMX runs can be, only that they are not long, especially for smart pixels. I am not sure for dumb RGB.

Fortunately, I have a year to learn more and experiment. :)

Planning is KEY with RGB.  This especially true since you need to know exactly where each pixel will be on your house so effects look good.  This was my first full year of using e1.31 and I quickly learned that I needed to map everything out before I even bought anything.  I ended up creating a very simplistic grid that maps out, by hand, where each pixel is located.  It may look kind of stupid but it helped immeasurably with my setup.  It also was a great help when sequencing.

I am just starting to plan the addition of RGB for next year and have downed many a headache remedy absorbing it all.

I will build frames and mount the lighting to them, then lay them up in the windows. The problem? Controllers and wiring. I'd love to control each of the 4 sides independently, but that means a 4-channel controller, and I can't seem to find one. Two of the windows are close enough together to use a larger controller for the 8 channels, but the one window by itself? Not so much.

Fortunately, I have a year to learn more and experiment. :)

If your planning Rgb dumb strips, 4 per Window you'll actually need 12 channels. Each Rgb dumb strip needs 3 channels 1 for red, 1 for green & 1 for blue

If your planning Rgb dumb strips, 4 per Window you'll actually need 12 channels. Each Rgb dumb strip needs 3 channels 1 for red, 1 for green & 1 for blue

Sorry, I meant 4 "outputs" since i usually see the controllers with RGB+...  You are right on the channels.  

Maybe I should just do 2 of these and control all 4 sides on all 3 windows...

http://www.holidaycoro.com/27-Channel-DMX-Controller-for-RGB-Lights-12v-DC-p/24.htm

• 2 years later...
On 12/22/2014 at 3:15 PM, marsh28 said:

3: Connectors

A) Wire: because pixels are DC and low voltage, they experience voltage loss much quicker than traditional AC lights.  As such, you need to have fairly heavy gauge wire connecting your pixel strips to the controller.  If you don't use thicker wire, you'll have power issues, data issues, and will need to use power injection.  To limit these issues as much as possible, I'd suggest heavy duty 18 gauge alarm wire.  Monoprice always has great prices on this type of wire.  http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=4039&seq=1&format=2  When buying wire, make sure its "stranded" and not solid as stranded wire will be more difficult to solder and solder joints will give way more easily.

B) pig tails.  For 12v pixels, you need 3 core male and female connectors.  I recommend these from Ray Wu.  Again, I'd also recommend you use the highest gauge possible.  http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10pcs-lot-3-Core-BLACK-Waterproof-pigtail-20cm-long-each-male-and-female-male-connector-s/701799_1019853359.html

Just curious, why do you recommend 4 conductor wire when you have 3 conductor connectors?  Am I missing something??  Thanks for the good info!!

jeff

Also -- I'm looking at doing smart pixels and would like some advice:

[1] I'm buying the Pixcon 16 from LOR (unless there's this ginormous deal changer that I should be aware of)...
    a. Where do I find an enclosure for this? And the power supply?
    b. I'm thinking of using the ribbon from Holiday Coro with this... will that work?
    c. Any other notes?

[2] I might use the S4 Pixel Editor, but I want to know what's most commonly used to program smart pixels...

Its pretty common to use a cg-1500 enclosure for any controller.  I use the controllers and  power supplies with enclosures offered at Holiday Coro. I am going in my fourth season this year and have had no issues with any of their products.  For the power supply it depends on the types of ribbons you get be it 5v or 12v. I use all 12v pixels, strips and dumb nodes. I don't mix and match so I don't have any accidents. I am using xLights this year for all my sequencing. The pixel editor is still very limited on what it can do compared to xLights. 

20 minutes ago, BMurray said:

Its pretty common to use a cg-1500 enclosure for any controller.  I use the controllers and  power supplies with enclosures offered at Holiday Coro. I am going in my fourth season this year and have had no issues with any of their products.  For the power supply it depends on the types of ribbons you get be it 5v or 12v. I use all 12v pixels, strips and dumb nodes. I don't mix and match so I don't have any accidents. I am using xLights this year for all my sequencing. The pixel editor is still very limited on what it can do compared to xLights. 

I'm looking specifically to do Pixcon16, will it work with the cg1500?

According to email.. I guess I was following this back in 2014... A Pixcon16 will fit in a Cg1500.  You will have to make or buy a mounting plate to mount in the enclosure.  I recommend Meanwell power supplies. One of my favorite sources is  https://holiday.lighting/  There is free software such as Xlights that many use..  I would reach out to members in your area.   Lots of them up there!   Might be a good idea to start a new thread with your goals and what you're looking to accomplish. 

5 hours ago, lightingnewb said:

Also -- I'm looking at doing smart pixels and would like some advice:

[1] I'm buying the Pixcon 16 from LOR (unless there's this ginormous deal changer that I should be aware of)...
    a. Where do I find an enclosure for this? And the power supply?
    b. I'm thinking of using the ribbon from Holiday Coro with this... will that work?
    c. Any other notes?

[2] I might use the S4 Pixel Editor, but I want to know what's most commonly used to program smart pixels...

You can get the CG1500 on HC for a good price. As for the ps. After following various members advice and threads I would advise you to turn to Amazon. If you have to run 2 power supplies there is no way you can fit them and a pixcon16 in a CG1500. No way. Been there wasted the $ but donated the boxes to the OKC mini so all was well. Look at the measurements of the power supply. If you can get a single power supply that will meet or exceed your supply demands that is the route to go.

As far as ribbons or strings, doesn't matter where you get them.

I ended up buying huge boxes, I added to vents per box. A lot of mods but it worked out well for me. I got the boxes off ebay and they did cost me about 3-4 times a CG1500 but its what I needed based on my components. I still have at least one more matrix to build and I will be using the CG1500 however this time I will purchase the Meanwell 700 watt ps. About $160 but saves me the other headaches.

Depending on your climate look at vents for your boxes.

I have a thread somewhere here that shows my setup for my first matrix. I went to lowes and they cut plexiglass that I used for my mounting plate since my box was not standard to the mounting plates readily available.

Best of luck

JR

8 hours ago, uncledan said:

According to email.. I guess I was following this back in 2014... A Pixcon16 will fit in a Cg1500.  You will have to make or buy a mounting plate to mount in the enclosure.  I recommend Meanwell power supplies. One of my favorite sources is  https://holiday.lighting/  There is free software such as Xlights that many use..  I would reach out to members in your area.   Lots of them up there!   Might be a good idea to start a new thread with your goals and what you're looking to accomplish. 

Thank you! I will definitely take this into account. I did start a thread in Newbies but there was great debate over different pieces and some of my questions didn't get answered. Now that I have responses I needed, I can do my research and shopping.

5 hours ago, dibblejr said:

You can get the CG1500 on HC for a good price. As for the ps. After following various members advice and threads I would advise you to turn to Amazon. If you have to run 2 power supplies there is no way you can fit them and a pixcon16 in a CG1500. No way. Been there wasted the $ but donated the boxes to the OKC mini so all was well. Look at the measurements of the power supply. If you can get a single power supply that will meet or exceed your supply demands that is the route to go.

As far as ribbons or strings, doesn't matter where you get them.

I ended up buying huge boxes, I added to vents per box. A lot of mods but it worked out well for me. I got the boxes off ebay and they did cost me about 3-4 times a CG1500 but its what I needed based on my components. I still have at least one more matrix to build and I will be using the CG1500 however this time I will purchase the Meanwell 700 watt ps. About $160 but saves me the other headaches.

Depending on your climate look at vents for your boxes.

I have a thread somewhere here that shows my setup for my first matrix. I went to lowes and they cut plexiglass that I used for my mounting plate since my box was not standard to the mounting plates readily available.

Best of luck

JR

Phenomenal advice. Greatly appreciate everything you do in this community, too. I see you're always out helping others on here.

Thanks everyone!

I went another route as I disliked putting the PSU heat inside. a secondary advantage is I can put a second PSU on the other side of the post (closet rod)smCG1500wLOR.jpg.c92848838c4b8d6b2148ce7080111aa0.jpg

There is a pixie4 and CMB24D inside, but there is room for 2 CMB24's instead (PSU is also from HC for just a few dollars more then the inside model