Light-O-Rama Forums

Any updates on Software upgrade?

marsh28

Now that the busy season is starting to wind down (well almost...) any updates on the new software Dan has been discussing that will be able to deal with larger channel counts, etc.?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so on the edge of switching sequencers. I love the ease of LOR, BUT I just cant run the amount of pixels that I'm adding with the current software LOR is providing. I have my layout ready for 2015 season but I can't work it into the LOR SE or Visualizer. With no updates or launch dates to go by it hard to stay. I understand they need it perfect before releasing it publicly but every date gets pushed back futher and further. Somethings got to change. I just hope soon.

I have used and supported LOR for a number of years now. 

Great products, great service BUT meeting commitments are NOT very high on there list.  Soft wear and hardware projections or updates on progress are far from iffy. 

Products will be available with they arrive.  Don't make decisions on what may be available soon but on what is available.  Take any time line as a wish (may make it or may not).  No doubt LOR will have a more robust product coming but when?  When it does come out I'm sure it will be very well done and stable.

We've been hearing about changes for over a year and it's still not here. It's just when do you draw the line and just cut ties... synchronizing a show with r_g_b is not simple as regular incandescent/leds. I know we're a year away but planning ahead and setting up the visualizer and sequencing everything takes at least 10 months, for my case. SO time is of the essence. Come on LOR , you can do it, please!

Dan last statement Nov 19 hope to have a closed alpha of the software out at the end of December.

Only three days left in December.

What is an alpha? Also if it is what I think it is (similar to a beta), how soon till we get to see it? Previous post said they have plenty of time but this year I really want to concentrate on refining my existing sequences and creating new ones and I don't want to start that until I see the new software. We need it soon

kzaas, and alpha release is what comes before a beta release.  Generally an alpha release is the first software to get out of the lab.  They are generally a VERY limited release because it is well known that there WILL be bugs - some of them major.  After the alpha test group vets the various alpha releases, it will become a beta release - usually with a larger release group.  In some case, after a series of beta releases, there will be a release candidate version of the beta.  The idea of a release candidate is that is the version that is hoped will be the production version.  Personally I was a beta tester for 2 releases and the release candidate for Microsoft Windows 7, and also for a line of Motorola UHF portable radios.  In some ways it's cool to be a alpha / beta tester, but it can also be really frustrating.

Yes, I am anxious to get the next major release from LOR, but I agree that it needs to be fully vetted before it's released.

Although I've never been a beta tester for LOR, I have tested tons of my own software for a major testing environment. Fortunately for me, I was not only the programmer but also the user of the code. In my case, it had to be perfect before it was actually used for real as there was no room for mistakes. LOR's requirements aren't quite as strict that but they are in a business to make money and they can't risk releasing code that doesn't work as it can directly impact the bottom line. So I agree with k6ccc that they will let us know, when they are sure its going to work. I'm sure their process was developed for this product and that process will work things out. They also knew or know that very few of us would dare upgrade while our shows were running so there was no hurry this late in the season. Give them a break!!! When its ready, we'll find out :)

Edited by dgrant

Maybe he meant by December 2015? Lol, I'm just going to start setting my stuff up in the current. Version of I'll get too far behind with my plans for this coming season

I did my Channel config last week for next year, (always subject to change) and it took 6-7 hours to complete. UGH!

I have not fooled with that yet but it might be in option at this point. are there any good video tutorials on that anywhere online. PM me please

• 2 weeks later...

Even a screen shot of the up comming version... something like Sean did with Nutcracker? Please just enough to keep us on the hook?

I've been fooling with LSP demo. Seems pretty easy to follow but expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Just added close to 6000 pixels today to LOR and with two tools you can't go wrong. Vegomatic by BobO to added them to one sequence so I create the LCC file. Once I created the LCC file running ImportOmatic by BobO that adds the new LCC file to each sequence by itself. Set it and walk away come back later its done. Thanks again BobO for such a great software.

Jeff