Light-O-Rama Forums

planning additions for 2015, opinions?

bhunt240

We are planning on adding quite a bit to next years display we have a few ideas but i thought maybe id run it by you guys to get some opinions and or ideas??

Heres the display for this year

128ch

2) 10' 16ch spiral trees wrapped in red with a 9ch light pole inside each tree with a 2' star on top

4) 7ch arches pure white

9) 1ch 3' mini trees pure white

2) 12ch candy cane spinners

100) strobes

gutter line c9 retrofits and all windows and door red blue and green c6

Here are a few pictures....

20141119_193317.jpg

20141210_175940.jpg

20141210_175907.jpg

Next year we are doing a 48ch light grid across the roof covering it with c6 leds red green and blue and outlining the ridge line with red green blue c9 retrofits

I am planning on adding:

-green and blue leds on the spiral trees

-red green and blue on the 9 mini trees

-8 more 9ch light poles

-100 more strobes

The big thing i want to add is a 25' tree on top of the ridge line on the roof but i didnt know if it would look out of place? ?

im also addong some snow flakes on the front of the house and a singing snowman beside the front door

Next year we will be well over 50k leds if all goes as planned

I would definitely look into the RGB stuff...It may be a little more expensive in the beginning, but it does pay off in the end (more lights less electricity) and does allow for color Changing!

Definitely Look at Rays Store (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/701799)

Last year was 16 channels. This year 1600... Cost: around 6000.00 :D

Just my 2 Cents. :)

Kip

Well i wanted all rgb or pixels but the wife hates the way they look, so when she is still allowing me to add to the display and actually encourages it i roll with what i can get :)

If your using C9 retrofit LED's, those are about a buck each,  If you look at some of the DIY solutions, you can get

an RGB pixel node that looks just like that for the same price point.  They look just like the LED retrofits.

I see you have 3 colors now, so you basically paid $3 a pixel and can't do color blending !

the LOR CCB's are the exact same look too, just cost more because you are paying for a complete solution.

I won't post a competitors product here, but PM me if you want info.

Tim

I hope you have a structural support plan for your roofline to handle the weight of a 25' mega tree.

The taller the tree, the more the strands to make it full, heavier the load.

I'm not just talkin the weight of the lights but also the tower/pipe.

I'm also talkin about the downward force of the guy wires required to keep that tree in place. That will be a lot of force on that roof line by itself.

We're not talkin about some HBO antenna with a tripod base here.

I have a 35' mega tree (33' of that is the tree) on the ground and the 196 strands alone weigh a bunch. Not to say you will use that many strands but it can happen very easily to get a full looking 4 color tree.

Then a ring to attach all the lights to. Gotta support and/or tie that down somewhere.

Either way, you better beef that roof line structure up if that's your plan.

If it were me, I would keep that big puppy on the ground.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Santas Helper

Well i should have explained more i am only doing a 2d tree so almost like the frames they build for pixel trees all lights in a straight line at the bottom going up to a point.... and i know i should have done pixels but i already have all the c9s for my roof outline and the roof grid will be c6s

My bad. I assumed a mega tree.

That's still going to be quite a structure that tall and keeping it on place.

Do your homework on how to secure that tree. And again, keep in mind the downward force of the frame, lights and guy wires.

Hope all goes well.

Tom

We'd converted our smaller 12' trees to RGB LED's last year. Knowing that we were going to replace our 70' tree and yard grid with the leds, I had several people say they sure liked the 'nostalgic' look of all those mini's on our tree and yard. Now that we've done the switch, I can tell you not a single person has complained. The color is so much more vibrant, plus the ability to do any color. When it's all blue, it's ultra cool. Once we air next Monday night on 'The Great Christmas Light Fight', I'll be able to put us some new videos. Planning on at least one 'before' and 'after' of the same song for comparison...

I understand pixels maybe cheaper but when the wife doesn't want them and iv already got 30,000 leds i cant just let them sit and be unused and im not big on using both in a display i like all or none im very ocd

I see a reference to Ray Wu's store, I want to go to RGB's next year.. What would it involve to light up my upper roof at 65 feet and my lower roof at 42 ft, I want to go with smart RGB's so I can control every Node. I am looking for some references and some input. I would like to go with the C-9 looking covers and was wondering about 12 volt versus 5 volt!

all info would be welcome sorry about the thread Hi-Jack!

I see a reference to Ray Wu's store, I want to go to RGB's next year.. What would it involve to light up my upper roof at 65 feet and my lower roof at 42 ft, I want to go with smart RGB's so I can control every Node. I am looking for some references and some input. I would like to go with the C-9 looking covers and was wondering about 12 volt versus 5 volt!

all info would be welcome sorry about the thread Hi-Jack!

Talk about hi-jack.

I would suggest starting a new thread. This way you get a bigger audience to that topic therefore a bigger response.

You may also include a couple pictures in your own thread for others to have a better idea of what you're wanting to light up.

Hi-Jacking is bad juju here.

Merry Christmas.

Tom

Talk about hi-jack.

I would suggest starting a new thread. This way you get a bigger audience to that topic therefore a bigger response.

You may also include a couple pictures in your own thread for others to have a better idea of what you're wanting to light up.

Hi-Jacking is bad juju here.

Merry Christmas.

Tom

When people ask the questions by RGB I always say this: go to auschristmaslighting.com and download the manual.  Its seriously awesome.  As to the OP, I'd so a small change over to RGB pixels with traditional c9 covers.  They look like regular Christmas lights but give you a TON more options when it comes to sequencing.  

Adding lots of smart pixels. Waiting to see what LOR is offering to accommodate them.

Doing this for both halloween and Christmas, they said we were supposed to see a beta before the first of the year, years coming to a close soon lol

I know its very frustrating. Getting my props assembled now. But its like how I'm I going to set them up in the visualizer when I have maxed out 2 separate visualizer pixel count. Ugh... I can only wait afew months otherwise I may have to learn another SE

I know its very frustrating. Getting my props assembled now. But its like how I'm I going to set them up in the visualizer when I have maxed out 2 separate visualizer pixel count. Ugh... I can only wait afew months otherwise I may have to learn another SE

Not to high jack but when's your show running to? We're in springfield mass and we've been talking about driving down to see your pixel tree in action but haven't had a chance yet