Light-O-Rama Forums

new user 12 ribbon ccr tree

jrodger

Hello all- an admitted newb in the planning stages of our first show to debut next November. Plan is to take the next 11 months to plan, build and install the show.

The first element we are going to work on is a 12 ribbon ccr tree that will exist in front of our real tree. The story is that the real tree is in pretty sad shape but we are unable to take it down. when the show starts the real tree will go dark and the show will play in front of it.

So my question is about our plan for the tree. Our current plan is to run cable between the flag poles at intervals to support the star on top and the ribbons. Cable will be steel and under tension to minimize flex. Does that sound like a sound plan? each ribbon would be rope mounted and tie wrapped at each cross wire. Any suggestions? image isnt to scale. plan is to cover top 16 feet of tree and add elements to fill from bottom of tree to ground. tree in photo is 25 feet

We have otherr elements planned, but this one needs to be done first. Any advice appreciated.. .

John Rodger

I only own 1 CCR. They are essentially just semi-flexible circuit boards and all that I hear and what I can see, they don't fair well when they are hanging. They need support behind them. You don't want them flopping around in the wind as that'll trash them in a hurry. If you put them on something, pvc, aluminum channel material or some other support, stood them against the steel wire between your trees and secure the bases and some sort of cross-support which is also secured, you'll probably be ok. My concern for you is the $3,000 investment in 12 of them, only to have them ruined if not secured.

Agreed 100%. The strips need to be on a solid backing. (Although, Brian Bruderer did this exact same thing, with the rope.) I use Aluminum C channel for my strip sections, but they are only about 24", so 16+ feet of aluminum C channel is going to get expensive.

Do some research and ask on different forums about what everybody else uses. I use nodes instead of strips for my tree. Just a thought. CCPs on rope works quite well and you get 2 strings of 50 instead of 1 strip of 50, for about the same price.

I have a 12 CCR tree and I attach the CCRs to a rope using 4" cable ties.  Lots of them so none are too tight.  I use steel wire for horizontal stabilizing.

This is my second year and I have not any problems.  I'm sure the aluminum tracks work well, but for me, they seem like unnecessary additional setup work.

Thank You so much. I'm leaning towards an aluminum fram now. Thanks for the advice.

I built an aluminum "Frank" tree and have it hanging from the second story gable.   It's works great,  comes apart easily for storage too, mine is stored on the garage ceiling.    I also mounted CCBs to the same 3/4" square tubing for my eves.  Best thing I ever did.  Each eve tube has 3 hooks and it takes me all of 10 minutes to put up and take down the eves on my 2 story house, and it only takes one person.

When you folks have used the metal channels for your strings/ribbons are you also running any external antenna for broadcast over FM radio and getting static from it? I am using conduit and last year I used tope and was great but the conduit seams to be effecting it.

I'm a radio professional, and unless your FM transmitter is behind your tree, it is very unlikely that that using metal supports for a pixel tree is affecting it in ay way.