Light-O-Rama Forums

USB 485 Serial Adaptor

grump010

Installation that works:
Dell Inspiron 6000,Centrino 1.7 Ghz with 1.5 Gigs of Ram, Win XP OS. I am currently using version 2.0.0 FTDI USB to Serial driver. Currently running LOR 2.0.0 and I have had absolutely no problems with this setup. Have gone from LOR 1 to LOR 2 without any issues what so ever.

Installation that doesn't work:
ASUS M2A-VM HDMI Motherboard, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3600+, 1 Gig of RAM, with WIN XP OS.
I've tried LOR 1.5.0 & 1.6.1 and LOR 2. The HW Utility is 1.6.6 and 2.0.0.
The problem that I have with the second installation is the lights are very erratic and do not follow the sequence. When using the HW Utility, the refresh will bring up any # of controllers from 1 to 4 (Only using 4 X 16 CTB16PC) and does not show the correct version # for any of the controlers. I've adjusted the baud rate up and down with no success. When I attempted to run a show, the scheduler starts and locks up. I reloaded the entire system and did not load any other SW other than what is required for LOR to function, to no avail. If I keep pressing refresh the values for the controllers with change in a random fashion.

Any help or direction on this issue would be great, I would like to free up my laptop sometime this month.

I previously tried 2.0.8 and I just now upgraded to version 2.0.8, all with the same result as all other versions. The HW Utility functions the same way, very erratic and will not give the complete version # and misses one or more of the controllers. With the upgrade to 2.0.8 the first controller has disappeared and only one of the other 3 display the correct version #.

Cheers

Daryl B.

Does the LED turn on, on all the controllers when you use the hardware utility?

You may try a reset on all boards.

What happens if you manually enter the address in the hardware utility for a board that is not discovered on it's own? Can you control the channels then?

Chuck

The LED's are all solid on all controllers and if I use my Laptop all aspects of the LOR software function perfectly. This issue appears to be this particular computer. Are there any USB settings or timing settings in the bios I should be paying attention to?

Happy Christmas
Daryl B.

OK, me thinks I've done it.
I updated my bios for starters!

I changed the com port from 3 to 2. I had forgotten that when I installed the SW on my laptop I had to do the same thing. HU became a little less erratic.

I adjusted the latency timing from the default to 14 ms and this gave me visibility to the 4th controller but the SW versions were scrambled.

I changed the last cat5 to a tested cat5 and that has corrected the visibility issue. Although my laptop had no problems, it appears the last cable was a little noisy (still tests OK) and the USB ports on the newly built and configured were just more susceptible to the noise.

I ran out of time to play as I only have the 1 adapter and the show was about to begin on the laptop and as we all know "The Show Must Go On" I will get a chance to play after show time and I will post if there is anymore update activity.

Thanks to all
Happy Christmas
Daryl B.
ungrump010