Light-O-Rama Forums

The Great Christmas Light Fight is on now Discussion?

Max-Paul

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Santas Helper

• marsh28

• 1983ss454

• dgrant

I'd love to get some of those lights but since he's already done it, I'd just be copying. Can't do that or shouldn't...lol. Well, rethinking that...they aren't really very "Christmas" as such... cool yes, great for StarWars and etc...but Christmas?

Edited by dgrant

The guy who did the show is on the LOR FB page.  I think he said he got the lights for $400.  I don't know if he's being facetious or not, but those look like VERY high end Elation-type moving head lights.  And when I say high-end, think $1500 each....  

They remind me of these...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A3kZgjHh9E

I'd love to get some of those lights but since he's already done it, I'd just be copying. Can't do that or shouldn't...lol. 

I don't consider it copying, I like to think of it as he completed a LOR controlled moving light proof-of-concept for us to take to the next level!  

Thank you Mr. BetGeorge.

I don't consider it copying, I like to think of it as he completed a LOR controlled moving light proof-of-concept for us to take to the next level!  

Thank you Mr. BetGeorge.

what he said... and i plan to do whatever i can to have a few of these in my show next year. gave me goosebumps... LOL (wonder how much harder it will be since I live in the midwest. our Ohio winters can get really REALLY cold....)

it was sync'd to music but i thought during the setup shots i seen some lor controllers and it looked like lor software?

It seemed to me everyone was using some degree of LOR but it was presented as tho they invented the controllers and software they were using. Anyone else feel that?

Drew

I've gotten the feeling the last 2 seasons that they can't mention LOR, or simply didn't permission to. I'd say at least half of the sequenced shows use it and I can't remember one mentioning it by name

I have heard Light-O-Rama mentioned in one of those episodes last year if I recall.

I don't believe so, could be wrong. But if you look back at the episodes they had people taping over the Light O rama symbol on ghe control boxes to not show it on tv

I'd love to get some of those lights but since he's already done it, I'd just be copying. Can't do that or shouldn't...lol. Well, rethinking that...they aren't really very "Christmas" as such... cool yes, great for StarWars and etc...but Christmas?

I love this display... but just not for Christmas.

I showed his Christmas videos to the wife and son and they thought they were cool, but a little boring. Then I showed them the Star Wars video and they love, love, LOVED it!

I've been thinking it more and more each year... I'm getting old. I used to feel odd for not keeping up with the current trends... but I'm starting to embrace it. In keeping things the same, we are kinda different I guess? :)

Oh hey guys! Been awhile since I've been on here. Just saw a few questions so I thought I'd answer.

Jeff - I understand how you feel. I spent half the year looking for epic Christmas music and there's not much out there in my personal opinion. There's TSO, of course, but as big as TSO is to Christmas decorators, a lot of people don't know about them. I decided to use Star Wars because of the international audience it has and epic-sounding music. I admit, it's not Christmas music. To me, Christmas is about other things, not lights. One of those things is giving to the needy and I knew if I did Star Wars, I could raise far more money. Ironically, I did a post of my star wars mix back in summer I was working on and not a single person liked it and gave me other suggestions instead.

Andrew - OMG, love your programming btw.  I purposely don't tell people what those lights are on the roof because, you're right, they're worth more than you think! Although I have a pretty intense security system (as well as being armed), I don't want people climbing on my roof in the middle of the night! They are not LED by the way - you just can't create beams like that with LEDs unless the focus is that of a laser. I spent most of this year buying and selling every brand/model you can think of to finally settle on the ones I have.

1983 - Fremantle Media (they are the ones that film for the Great Christmas Light Fight) "greeked" out all of my brand logos, labels etc in and out of my house. Even my clothes had to have no indication of brand. I didn't realize I literally had nothing without a logo so I had to buy my girlfriend and I plain red and green t-shirts from Target, ha! 

iflights - you can enter the world of professional lighting with LOR if you like, but I will say this: take the work, cost, and headache of pixels - multiply that time 100 and you have "moving heads" :) I wanted to give up so many times but invested so much already that I followed through and barely pulled it off in time for the season!

I love this display... but just not for Christmas.

I showed his Christmas videos to the wife and son and they thought they were cool, but a little boring. Then I showed them the Star Wars video and they love, love, LOVED it!

I've been thinking it more and more each year... I'm getting old. I used to feel odd for not keeping up with the current trends... but I'm starting to embrace it. In keeping things the same, we are kinda different I guess? :)

I don't believe so, could be wrong. But if you look back at the episodes they had people taping over the Light O rama symbol on ghe control boxes to not show it on tv

The guy who did the show is on the LOR FB page.  I think he said he got the lights for $400.  I don't know if he's being facetious or not, but those look like VERY high end Elation-type moving head lights.  And when I say high-end, think $1500 each....  

They remind me of these...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A3kZgjHh9E

Thank you Mr. BetGeorge.

Hey Tom,

Awesome showing on Christmas Light Fight (just saw it last night).

If you don't mind me asking, what brand/model of rotating lights did you use on top your roof?

I'm curious on the wattage of the bulbs.

Thanks,

Tom

Please don't take me wrongly...loved what you did with the spot lights and oh my, they were spectacular. Yes, using them with StarWars...awesome job there! Yes, I too would like to know what model you ended up with? I can dream up a bunch of ideas for Halloween with them though still not sure they are in the Christmas venue except for possibly looking for Santa..lol. I was only saying that I wouldn't wish to copy "your idea" as its "Yours"! Would love to know more about them and how you control them.

I knew it... Don't worry Tom, you're secret is safe. I'm a light nerd and I figured they were pro lights. I've seen enough crappy lights on aliexpress to recognize nice ones like the ones on your roof.

It looks like they have a theatrical fogger as well. Am I right?

Edited by marsh28

What might be cool next year is for ABC to surprise a homeowner(s) who don't know they are coming and put them on the show...just sort of show up! Basically putting the rest of us on display whom we do shows for our neighborhoods and not television. 

Wow! I was completely moved by the Setti family and having to give up the calling next year due to their age and not being able to continue. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought; "man, if only I lived nearby them..."

That they won is, for me, the feel good story for this Christmas

I knew it... Don't worry Tom, you're secret is safe. I'm a light nerd and I figured they were pro lights. I've seen enough crappy lights on aliexpress to recognize nice ones like the ones on your roof.

It looks like they have a theatrical fogger as well. Am I right?

Wait, who is they? I have a hazer I ended up not running though. It's hard to get it consistent outdoors so I decided to go without...