Light-O-Rama Forums

The Great Christmas Light Fight is on now Discussion?

Max-Paul

Just saw the first show. Guy down in Springfield, MO. Guy walks into his garage. Shows the lady his computer and then some cabinet doors and shows her his Allen Bradley PLC5 controller and says that this is what runs the lights.  Anyone know if running the lights off of a PLC 5 controller is possible. What software would one use.

Rockwell software is not cheap either. I would not be interested in doing this. Just wonder if possible or was this guy shaming people with what he used to control his lights.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Santas Helper

• marsh28

• 1983ss454

• dgrant

I used to sell A-B PLC's back in 1989. Yes, you could, but would seriously spend too much time. LOR does so much of it for you. Only way to go.

Now the BELCHER projection house party was pretty cool.

Back to the show.

Tom BetGeorge home is on the TV this season. Went by last Saturday evening - Way to go Tom! He has added a RGB mega tree, and six moving head flood lights on the roof this season - very impressive, very well done.

Its possible but who would want to take the time and the inconvenience to do it the hard way.  It would give capacity but .... wow.  have not seen the show yet.   I have it recorded, was the show sync'd to music or just a static display with things turning on and off randomly?

it was sync'd to music but i thought during the setup shots i seen some lor controllers and it looked like lor software?

Edited by bhunt240

it was sync'd to music but i thought during the setup shots i seen some lor controllers and it looked like lor software?

The mega tree did have LOR boxes in it, and it looked like S3 software to me.

Anyone else feel bad for the people on the 2nd episode? As soon as they showed the 4 family and I seen Fred Loya I knew no one had a chance lol

Anyone else feel bad for the people on the 2nd episode? As soon as they showed the 4 family and I seen Fred Loya I knew no one had a chance lol

lol i was thinking the same thing, i told my wife he will win she said how do you know? I laughed and said just watch and you will see!

Great ruin the surprise for the guy recording it on the DVR.

Oh come that's kind of like reading the message boards about a movie before you go see it lol

Fred Loya... I'm not a huge fan of the show, but had to watch this one once I saw who was on it. Great display but better person.

The guy said he got everything from work to run his show.

When he said 80 hours to do three minutes is when he lost me. My time is too valuable.

If I can't complete a song easily in eight hours, I don't need to use it.

The projection house was interesting.

When he said 80 hours to do three minutes is when he lost me. My time is too valuable.

If I can't complete a song easily in eight hours, I don't need to use it.

Eight hours - I wish...

Yesterday I completed an additional song.  Started with a purchased CCR tree and star sequence from Brian Bruderer.  I just had to add the rest of the yard.  This was mostly an easy sequence and I have about 10 hours into it.  All I have left is export it to SE and do a few tweeks that I do in SE rather than SS, then it will go into this year's show.  This was after realizing that another Brian Bruderer song I've been working on for the past 2 weeks will take me at least another 20 hours or so and I won't have time to get it into this year's show.  I'll work on that one for 2015.

Granted that for me filling in the rest of the yard is just under 3,000 additional channels.

The house in El Paso...my oh my that was a lot of intelligent RGB nodes. Looked fantastic and he spent a ton of money to make that all happen. The castle home was unique and nice. The projection house was something totally new and very cool. Haven't seen that before but its something to be considered!

I too watched the two episodes last night. I thought it was pretty easy to know who won on both shows before they said who won.

The house in El Paso was by far the best out of all eight for the night. But the castle was pretty cool and in second for my vote.

When you guys talk about the castle. Are we talking about the two young guys with the Frozen castle. Or are we speaking of the guy out in CA and did all of the cut outs with the Disney theme? I have to say that there was some great displays for sure. The mapped graphics (projection on the house) was most technical. But as far as lights, meh. Was lacking in my book. But even the static displays where crazy over the top. Good show both of them. I suppose there will never be a chance to compete with the old guy in El Paso. I aint got that kind of money. Suppose he was using Matrix.

MP, I was talking about the guy in CA that did all the cut outs with the castle.

The two guys, while giving them credit for doing a good job, didn't have "the castle". It was a 2D cutout, painted and looked like a mountain, like in Frozen.

But still, their effort was very nice.

The projection house was cool, but that's all that was cool. Take away the projection and the lights were... well... meh. 

I wouldn't nor couldn't compete with the guy in El Paso. Unless I won the mega lotto. :)

Fred does have a great looking display for sure. With 30 people working 300 hours each is more than I can afford. Makes me want to wrap my show up and hide. Strange he did not have a few pixel trees except the ones in the back yard saying Merry Christmas on them. Love his fence!!! Come on LOR lets make the software a little better so it can handle my needs next year.  The projection was cool to me and wife said can you do that? I said sure !!! HaHa...

I enjoy seeing displays like Fred Loyas, yet it gives me a reality check on how not so over the top my 80,000+ lights and 3,000 channels really is. It motivates me to do bigger and bigger next year! I do 100% of my display myself, which is tough with working 60+ hours a week.

I enjoy seeing displays like Fred Loyas, yet it gives me a reality check on how not so over the top my 80,000+ lights and 3,000 channels really is. It motivates me to do bigger and bigger next year! I do 100% of my display myself, which is tough with working 60+ hours a week.

It really is a reality check, watching the extreme over the top displays on the show. My wife went to me tonight, "I don't want to be mean but our show sucks compared to that, we need to expand for next year". Yes dear lol