Light-O-Rama Forums

20 controllers + dmx, HWU only finds 28

medman2000

With as many things that have gone wrong this year (all my errors, LOR working great!) -

I have 20 controllers (4 from last year, 16 new this year). Added iDMX. At Dan's recommendation I set the max units to 48 which allows the iDMX to be identified. After running "refresh" to find all my controllers, repeatedly I only "see" 28 (16 of these are the iDMX). I can't seem to be able to find the other controllers with the HWU - yet if I open up the console (2.0.8) I can individually control each of the unrecognized controllers.

(to be clear, the 20 controllers plus the 16 found with the iDMX should show me 36, not 28 - 8 of my known working controllers do not show up during "refresh")

The one time I tested my show things were pretty screwed up, so I'm problem solving my sequencing. But I'm nervous about these controllers not being recognized and if it will mess up the show when I go live in the next day or two?

All solid red LED, and again each works just fine with console in HWU, just not recognized.

Thanks!

Are all your addresses defined to be under 48 decimal, hex 30. If you have any controller set higher than 30 on the switches.then it will not be seen with max units.

What are your controller addresses?

Chuck

They are all numbered starting with 01-0F, then 11-15 I believe. The iDMX is set to 20. None are higher than 20 for sure. Some of them I bought this year, but two of them from last year are recognized, and two of them from last year aren't. I haven't changed firmware or anything like that on any of them.

I'm hoping at least the show will run, I guess tomorrow night I'll know if I'm ok or not! Still have a few more cords to plug in here and there.

Converting your addresses from HEX to decimal.

You have controllers at decimal 1-15, 17-21 and yoru IDMX at decimal 32 for 16 channels for a max window of 48.

Does that sound correct?

Chuck

As long as you can control the boards via the HWU by manually entering their address, your shows should work properly. As of the gamma, anyway, shows only broadcast to controllers, not listen to them (which is what the HWU does).

-Tim

cmoore60 wrote:

Converting your addresses from HEX to decimal.

You have controllers at decimal 1-15, 17-21 and yoru IDMX at decimal 32 for 16 channels for a max window of 48.

Does that sound correct?

Chuck

Yea, that sounds right. I did try upping the number of max controllers to see if it helped, but didn't.

Tim Fischer wrote:

As long as you can control the boards via the HWU by manually entering their address, your shows should work properly. As of the gamma, anyway, shows only broadcast to controllers, not listen to them (which is what the HWU does).

-Tim

Ok cool. I kinda feel like I've run a marathon this year getting everything planned, then ordered, now set up. And the last mile is taking forever!

It ended up being a bad Cat5 cable, even though I had solid LED lights when I checked earlier, eventually this one cable failed, HWU no longer controlled the down-chain boxes, and when I replaced the cat5 HWU now finds all controllers.

Almost there! I might get my show running by Christmas afterall!