Light-O-Rama Forums

Is there a Light-O-Rama Software Instruction Book?

Guest guest

Hello:

I'm a newbie to this site. This is my first posting.

I saw the Carson Williams/Miller Lite commercial and I was inspired to kick my Lights display for 2006 up a notch. I found the light-o-rama software, and downloaded the demo version. Is there a *pdf user manual or software guide? I like to have a hard copy or a print version of a user manual that I can reference on demand when I have questions.

Also, if I get the LOR 8-channel controller, does that mean I can control only 8 channels of lights? In other words, if I chain 10 sets of lights together, and plug in that set of lights into the LOR controller, that is considered 1 channel? So, all 10 sets of lights do the same thing at the same time, either blink, come on 100%, dim 50%, etc, correct? I can't have say, string set #2 blink, and string set #6 50%, and string set #9 solid on, correct? Or am I not understanding something correctly?

When I downloaded the Carson Williams sequence, It looked like he had much more than 8 channels.

Thanks for any help!

Paul

Welcome aboard Paul,

I think LOR is working on a PDF file to download. In the mean time, print off everything from the help screen. It will sure come in handy.

That's a yes on controling 8 channels from an 8 channel controller, If you plug in 10 strands to one channel, all 10 strands will do the same thing if they are plugged in the same channel. Then there are 7 other channels to plug lights into. Now you can program each channel of lights to do what you want.

Carson has 88 channels+, not 8.

Hope this helps, Tom

Tom:

Thanks for the quick reply. Sincerely appreciate it.

So, if he has 88 channels, that means he needs 5 of the LOR1602 Computer Lighting Controllers (88 divided by 16 channels = 5.5. 5=$1,399.75) plus 1 LOR800W for $209.95 (http://store.lightorama.com/showtime-products.html).

So, if I want to do something even remotely close to Carson Williams, just the controllers alone will cost me approximately $1,610?

Am I doing the math correctly?

Thanks!

Paul

BvrBru1 wrote:

Tom:

Thanks for the quick reply. Sincerely appreciate it.

So, if he has 88 channels, that means he needs 5 of the LOR1602 Computer Lighting Controllers (88 divided by 16 channels = 5.5. 5=$1,399.75) plus 1 LOR800W for $209.95 (http://store.lightorama.com/showtime-products.html).

So, if I want to do something even remotely close to Carson Williams, just the controllers alone will cost me approximately $1,610?

Am I doing the math correctly?

Thanks!

Paul

No prob, Paul,

Actually Carson didn't use all 88 channels. At least not in the sequence that made him big.

I have the same TSO song and am only using 32 channels for now and with 32 channels, it still has amazing impact with TSO's Widards in Winter.

Even 16 or 8 channels can do an impressive show. It just depends on how you utilize your channels to get the best effect.

Just start off a little at a time. Baby steps, baby steps.

Tom

Paul, I just wanted to add that LOR will have their sale sometime in April so keep in touch.

But I also wanted to add, don't be intimadated by a huge light show. Yes, Carson and many others in this forum have huge and impressive light shows, but remember this, they all started somewhere.

Tom

Tom:

Thanks for the input. You're right, start small and get bigger & better every year.

Just curious about something. In Carson's video, he spelled out "Happy Holidays" in the upstairs windows spelled out 2 letters at a time. Did he buy each letter individually, or did he have to buy one "Happy Holidays" and do some wire cutting and splicing to make it fit?

Thanks!

Paul

BvrBru1 wrote:

Just curious about something. In Carson's video, he spelled out "Happy Holidays" in the upstairs windows spelled out 2 letters at a time. Did he buy each letter individually, or did he have to buy one "Happy Holidays" and do some wire cutting and splicing to make it fit?
Thanks!
Paul

I'm not sure if he personally made the letters or had them made (see the coro forum on making letters) but the reason he lights up 2 letters at a time is to stay in sync with the beat. At many points in the song (Wizards in Winter) he even lights up 3 letters at a time. Again, to stay in sync with the beat at that particular part of the song. I too have to do this quite often (in my sequencing) in order to stay in sync with the beat. Each letter is on it's own circuit.

Again, hope that helps.

Tom

Tom:

Thanks for pointing out that he lit certain letters based on the beat. I saw that each letter was lit up individually, in pairs, and in triplets, etc. I just didn't put two-and-two together.

What is a 'coro' forum, and where can I find it here?

How do you know that Carson did not use all 88 channels? Are his detailed plans posted on the message board somewhere?

Thanks again!

Paul

BvrBru1 wrote:

How do you know that Carson did not use all 88 channels? Are his detailed plans posted on the message board somewhere?

Thanks again!

Paul

Paul,

There is a forum called Wireframes, Plywood/Coro Cutouts where you can find lots of info.

As for the other, I can't remember right off hand where I found Carsons' info but will find it and get back to you.

Tom

Hi Paul.

The coro forum is "Wireframes,plywood/coro cutouts"

Also, I did a Wizards in Winter this year with 15 channels (Had 16 ch box but only used 15) and it came out great.

Here is a link to my "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"video(mannheim steamroller)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4139695326714856446&q=god+rest+ye+merry

You can't see everything because my street's viewing angles are bad. The candy canes and reindeer and not synchronized to music, rather they are on a noma digital decorating units. Those were my first computerized lights, but i had found PC even before that. Some computerized lights you can't see are my HAPPY HOLIDAYS sign and the red and blue trees on the right. The jack in the box is not computerized, along with the 4 color rope light on the roof, and some things you can't see, such as the helicopter on my chimney, my arch, dancin' santa, train, etc.

Always remember, start small, and don't overwhelm yourself with it, or it won't be fun anymore.

Thanks,

Greg

yeutterg wrote:

Sorry Tom, you must have posted while i was typing.

:laughing: No problem Greg, I don't know how many times I've done that :]. Go to post something and "BAMM!!" Somebody beat me to it. I liked your display be the way.

Tom

yeutterg wrote:

I also liked that Tutorial from LOR you posted. I either overlooked it or just didn't see it. I'm going to have to really go thru it and make sure I'm not missing something even though it's hard to catch everything in this chatroom about LOR.

Thanks again, Tom

BvrBru1 wrote:

Tom:

Thanks for pointing out that he lit certain letters based on the beat. I saw that each letter was lit up individually, in pairs, and in triplets, etc. I just didn't put two-and-two together.

Thanks again!

Paul
paul if you do a search you will find carsons exact sequence he used, i believe it was in the lor forum
bob

Santas Helper wrote:

yeutterg wrote:

I also liked that Tutorial from LOR you posted. I either overlooked it or just didn't see it. I'm going to have to really go thru it and make sure I'm not missing something even though it's hard to catch everything in this chatroom about LOR.

Thanks again, Tom

I think I better watch it myself;)

Thanks for the comment

greg