Light-O-Rama Forums

Help E1.31 causing Baldness

Darryl Lambert

Trying, miserably I might add,to get LOR to control my 4-E6804's. I usually figure these things out with trial & alot of error. First my set up. Windows 7 pro, lor 3.11.2 advanced, show computer to switch to 4 E6804's. I can access all 4 of them though IE & run test patterns but CANNOT get lor to control them. Lor control panel is running,status shows connected to DMX listener & lightbulb is red, com listener shows connection accepted,with all DMX universes correctly assigned to correct ip address. network preferences set to specific ip ( quadruple checked to be correct ) Sandevices set to unicast with correct ip & matching universe #'s ( also quadruple checked ) I just set up a simple sequence ( all on different colors ) DMX addressing appears to be correct. Control lights is checked & remains checked.

Now for things I've tried

1. changed cat 5 ( 3 times )

2. tried with switch connected & removed

3. tried multcast

4. tried with & without LOR RS485 adapter

5. manually changed ip address of show computer

6. manually changed Metric to 5 & 1 ( whatever that is )

I've tried every combination of those above items that I can think of & still nothing. Between scratching my head & pulling on my hair I'm just about bald!

This also happens on my sequencing laptop. I know it should work because I have a E681 that I used last season & it worked first time. Haven't dug it out yet to try.

Also I don't know if this is useful or not but on the sandevice page there doesn't seem to be any packets being sent or received.

Hopefully someone with more networking experience ( cause I have 0 ) will chime in.

I'd like to try to help.   I'm sending you a PM with my phone number and email.   Not sure what an international call would cost, but that would likely speed things up.   Otherwise, we'll work through it on-line via email. 

If you can, please send me a screen cap of one of the E6804 controller screens, and a screen cap of your LOR Network Preferences/DMX screen.   If its any comfort, It sounds like its just a set-up problem.

Edited by Bizywk

If you can, please send me a screen cap of one of the E6804 controller screens, and a screen cap of your LOR Network Preferences/DMX screen.   If its any comfort, It sounds like its just a set-up problem.

screenshot sent

"Control Lights" checked?

Checked so many times cause it would be like me to do that

I didn't see it the first time Sorry. 

It sounds like you have all the links in place and that only leaves the universes and starting channels.. other than that.. oh yeah.. maybe the port setting in the "Network Settings"  Should be 5568 I think..

It's been driving me crazy why it doesn't work. I was hoping to go live tonight , WAY behind schedule this year , had to shingle the roof this year & it wasn't completed until mid October. I haven't received a responce from Bizywk so I'm assuming he couldn't figure it out either.

Does anybody have any other things I could try?

Here is a link to my screenshots if anyone is interested

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/09kua8khtb5quk1/AAB-apVSwdzXNrvCDGiqig1Za?dl=0

I couldn't figure out how to post them directly so I pasted them into word

Darryl,

Since you are running Unicast and have specified IP address all in the 192.168.1 network ... a couple of things...

1st. double check the Subnet mast on the PC's NIC .. is it also at 255.255.255.0 (which should cover 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.254)

2nd. Make sure you have any firewalls turned off or at least add an exception for port 5568...

I wouldnt think it would be an issue since you can get to it all .. but wouldnt hurt to check...

If all that fails, try switching over to Multicast ..

Bob

subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 & computers ip is 192.168.1.10

windows firewall is disabled on pubic & home network

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

I don't know for sure what fixed it. I changed the listening port, result nothing. Then Racemedic noticed on the sandevice screen my test pattern was not set to "0" changed that, result nothing. Then I rebooted & WALA it worked.

Either way it works so I'm not messing with it.

Thanks guys for your input I know you guys are probably busy with your displays right now & it's good to know theres usually someone willing to give a bit of there time & expertise to help.

Now back to playing with my megatree

I have noticed over the years. Not all changes to network settings, will take effect till after a reboot. And I have to say that I have no fast set in stone examples when this will and wont happen. Just when I am about to start pulling hair. I'll do a reboot and seems that alot of times the problem will go away.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

I don't know for sure what fixed it. I changed the listening port, result nothing. Then Racemedic noticed on the sandevice screen my test pattern was not set to "0" changed that, result nothing. Then I rebooted & WALA it worked.

Either way it works so I'm not messing with it.

Thanks guys for your input I know you guys are probably busy with your displays right now & it's good to know theres usually someone willing to give a bit of there time & expertise to help.

Now back to playing with my megatree

You have to restart LOR if you change the port.. and you have to hit enter if your test pattern changes..  Not sure how he saw the test pattern since it wasn't on the screen shot I see.. but what ever worked... go with it!   Have fun..

Dave ( racemedic ) is a friend of mine. He lives in the next town from me. I sort of mentored him a few years ago when he got into this. He was over earlier today.

I'd thought I had restarted LOR after the changes but can't say for sure.

Your listener port is 8837.  Change it to 5568

I don't think this was the issue.  Even if was what fixed things, I think it's at most due to a different underlying issue that this happened to work around.

I think the idea here is based on the fact that port 5568 is the port that most DMX devices listen on.  But the "listener port" is the port that the LOR Comm Listener listens on, and the LOR Comm Listener is not a DMX device.

It speaks to DMX devices, and will do so (by default) over port 5568.  But things that speak to it - for example the Sequence Editor or the Show Player - are not speaking to a DMX device.  They send to whatever port you have configured as "the listener port".  By default, that's 8837, and that should be perfectly fine.

So it's like:

Sequence Editor on your PC sends commands to your PC's IP address, port 8837 (the "listener port")

Comm Listener on your PC listens for commands from Sequence Editor on port 8837 (the "listener port")

Comm Listener on your PC sends DMX to some external IP address, port 5568 (the normal E1.31 port)

DMX device which has some external IP address listens for DMX on its port 5568

That's the way it's supposed to work, and port 8837 as the listener port should be perfectly fine.  There's nothing special about 8837, nor about 5568, from this perspective.

With that said, it's possible that changing it to 5568 was what got it to start working, but like I said, I think that would be indicative of some other underlying issue rather than being the actual issue itself.  For example, perhaps some firewall was blocking port 8837.

I don't think this was the issue.  Even if was what fixed things, I think it's at most due to a different underlying issue that this happened to work around.

I think the idea here is based on the fact that port 5568 is the port that most DMX devices listen on.  But the "listener port" is the port that the LOR Comm Listener listens on, and the LOR Comm Listener is not a DMX device.

It speaks to DMX devices, and will do so (by default) over port 5568.  But things that speak to it - for example the Sequence Editor or the Show Player - are not speaking to a DMX device.  They send to whatever port you have configured as "the listener port".  By default, that's 8837, and that should be perfectly fine.

So it's like:

Sequence Editor on your PC sends commands to your PC's IP address, port 8837 (the "listener port")

Comm Listener on your PC listens for commands from Sequence Editor on port 8837 (the "listener port")

Comm Listener on your PC sends DMX to some external IP address, port 5568 (the normal E1.31 port)

DMX device which has some external IP address listens for DMX on its port 5568

That's the way it's supposed to work, and port 8837 as the listener port should be perfectly fine.  There's nothing special about 8837, nor about 5568, from this perspective.

With that said, it's possible that changing it to 5568 was what got it to start working, but like I said, I think that would be indicative of some other underlying issue rather than being the actual issue itself.  For example, perhaps some firewall was blocking port 8837.

After reading about it all, I am convinced it was the fact that his test pattern was not set to 0.  We couldn't see that in the screen shot but his buddy caught it.  After changing that and rebooting I think that is the magic bullet..

Well I'm just happy it works!

As for the port 8837 I can only assume thats what it was set to last year when I tested my 681, it worked then. I was trying to figure out why it had changed. I sure wouldn't have touched it.

BTW racemedic said he saw the test pattern set to 4 on the 6804 screenshot I posted.

Well I'm just happy it works!

As for the port 8837 I can only assume thats what it was set to last year when I tested my 681, it worked then. I was trying to figure out why it had changed. I sure wouldn't have touched it.

BTW racemedic said he saw the test pattern set to 4 on the 6804 screenshot I posted

As long as it works, that is the important part..

You may want to look at your dropbox screen shot of the 681 though.  From what I see (just checked again), the part for the testing is cut off.  Wonder what happened there?

That's strange. I'll check with Dave to see what he opened the doc with. My screenshot shows the full sandevice page but that doesn't really mean much.

Found out that racemedic used photoshop to open the doc. Don't know if that's why he sees the full page for sure but is probably the case.