Light-O-Rama Forums

CF50D setup questions

pdowns

I searched the forum for CF50D and got zero hits.  I must be an early adopter!

I got my first CF50D RGB Cosmic Color Floods today and am trying to set one up in the hardware utility (Version 3.11.2 Advanced).  I have this connected to a working LOR network but for the moment, all other controllers are powered off.

I have not removed the back cover or done much other than attempt to use the hardware utility.  When I do a refresh in the hardware utility, I get "Found 1 Unit"  and "01-Unknown Device ???"  I was expecting "01-CCF Ver. 1.01"

I wonder if I should update the firmware?  When I pushed the firmware button there was no firmware for a CCF.  I know I can download firmware but before I make a mess I thought I'd solicit input.

Advice welcomed.

You have nothing to worry about. If you are using 3.8.0, as your profile states, then it's a matter of a file on your system not having the words "01-CCF Ver. 1.01" in it. The CFD50 will still work, regardless.

No need to update the firmware. Just set the address on that device and carry on. Or you could update your software to a newer version, but if that's the only reason you are doing so, I wouldn't do that now. Not in the middle of the season.

Thanks for the input.  The show is about to start for tonight, so I'll try changing the unit id tomorrow.  These come with a default id of 01.  Sorry, that one's committed elsewhere.

I went to the LOR site and there is no firmware for the CF50D available to download.  I'm guessing I'm going to have to like "Unknown Device."

Suppose for a moment that LOR had a firmware on the site. You could update to it, but you are still going to have "Unknown Device"

The HWU is reading the controller, and based on the data that the controller provides the software looks it up in a text file on your machine. Since you are running an older version of the software that file hasn't been updated with the CF50D text.

What you are seeing is *not* a firmware issue. It's not. It's a file on your computer that hasn't been updated. That's it.

This all worked for me today.  My "Unknown Device" is now at the unit id of my choosing. 

It sure is bright!  I looked straight at it when the color was white.  That was a mistake.  It actually hurt.

Too bad I can't just swap them with my incandescent floods.  These have 5 channels per fixture instead of just the one before.  So there's sequence changes required.  Also, they don't have intensity control.  So I'll have to be careful about that too.

You could get them to work with just one channel of control, but you'd be limited to either Red, Green or Blue.

I like these a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still learning how to get control of these devices.  Unit.1 is Red, Unit.2 is Green and Unit.3 is Blue.  How do I vary the amount of each?

Should I be varying the intensity?  This seems to be logical.

But my bigger question is, I can vary the intensity from 0 to 100.  The manual says the strobe values can be 0 to 255.  No direct info is given for the color channels.

How do I map one to the other?  I can think of more than one way, but it's not in the documentation.  0 = 0 and 100 = 255 with a linear interpolation?  How about 0 = 0  and 100 = 100 and 101 - 255 are ignored, etc.

As I said, I don't these under control yet.  Comments welcomed.

If you set up a RGB channel for the flood, then you could pick any color you want without having to try and figure out what intensity of RGB to use to get a specific color.

I don't know what it means to "set up an RGB channel for the flood."  When I set up channels, I have 7 device types to choose from:

Sequence, X10, DMX Universe, Digital IO Card, Dasher Controller, BSOFT Digital IO Card, Light-O-Rama Controller

Are you referring to something else?

I now know how to set up an RGB channel.  Cute.  But I'm still left with the manual task of setting 3 channels.  The "RGB channel" displays the resulting color.  But to select the color I still have to choose the relative intensity of R, G and B on a scale of 0 - 100. 

I don't see a way to select a color for the RGB channel directly and have LOR figure out what that means for the related R, G and B intensities.  That's still up to me.

Edited by pdowns

I know know how to set up an RGB channel. Cute. But I'm still left with the manual task of setting 3 channels. The "RGB channel" displays the resulting color. But to select the color I still have to choose the relative intensity of R, G and B on a scale of 0 - 100.

I don't see a way to select a color for the RGB channel directly and have LOR figure out what that means for the related R, G and B intensities. That's still up to me.

Look for the Color Fade Tool. If you want purple then set both sides of the fade to purple.

Ahh, that's what I was looking for, the Color Fade Tool.  The RGB channel + color fade tool is a very useful combination.

Thanks for the help.

• 1 year later...

Bump...My CF50D arrived and I have Advanced version 3.12.4  The HWU still says "Unknown Device" but I was able to change the ID from 01 to whatever I needed and in a sequence, it works.  Yes they are bright.  I am trying a 'stand alone operation' just for fun through the HWU (I'm not opening the back of anything). I had to straighten two cross threaded stainless nuts that attach the cat5 cable to the housing, that was a bummer!   Thanks Don and Pat for the chat of information.

5 minutes ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

Bump...My CF50D arrived and I have Advanced version 3.12.4  The HWU still says "Unknown Device" but I was able to change the ID from 01 to whatever I needed and in a sequence, it works.  Yes they are bright.  I am trying a 'stand alone operation' just for fun through the HWU (I'm not opening the back of anything). I had to straighten two cross threaded stainless nuts that attach the cat5 cable to the housing, that was a bummer!   Thanks Don and Pat for the chat of information.

Your software ver is too old that is why it says "unknown device". if you upgrade your software it will list it correctly.

• The topic was locked