WHY?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

My show was playing and now its not...

5:57:09 PM: Connected to DMX Listener
5:58:05 PM: Show Player starting
5:58:05 PM: Schedule loaded
5:58:05 PM: Initializing LOR networks
5:58:05 PM: LOR networks initialized
5:58:09 PM: Show Player initialized
5:58:10 PM: Starting show: C:\Documents and Settings\User.JIMSHP\My Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\LOR_EasyShowBuilderShow.lss
5:58:11 PM: Loading sequence: C:\Documents and Settings\User.JIMSHP\My Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\2 2014 - Announcement Opening.lms
5:58:27 PM: DMX listener error 3: Comm Winsock Error / 10053: Connection is aborted due to timeout or other failure
5:58:27 PM: Loading sequence: C:\Documents and Settings\User.JIMSHP\My Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\2 2014 - A Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives.lms
5:58:29 PM: Connected to DMX Listener
5:58:44 PM: Loading sequence: C:\Documents and Settings\User.JIMSHP\My Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\2 2014 Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Miley Cyrus.lms

I had this error tonight also, although I have seen this before but it always seemed to recover.  I will investigate when I get home from work tomorrow morning when I have more time to research.

Mine recovered also...but took well over 10 minutes

Edited by jimswinder

Mine did that the night before last but fixed itself and continued on its way. I was watching it closely last night but it didn't do it. Now the night before last, I had forgot to turn off the antivirus even though I disconnected the internet feed. Last night, I remembered to turn the AV off and it loaded up nice and fast, without any errors.

I have had this happen at least 3 times this year - for the first time since 2009. I am running almost 30,000 channels this year, so I thought that might be the reason. I does take time to recover. The software will recover but it does take 5 to 10 minutes to do so. The show restarts in pieces. Part of it comes back, then goes away and another part comes back. This goes on for several minutes and then the entire show comes back up and runs as if nothing had happened. I am hoping that someone will have an answer for this one. It is very disturbing. Jim

When mine happened two nights ago, it was during the load process since I have the options set to load "before" sequences are needed. The show ran fine after that.

Edited by dgrant

I had this same error on Saturday. Someone suggested applying the 4gb patch to the LORMonitor file. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama.LorMonitor.exe). I did this and haven't had any issues since.

OK, long story first for background, then what I think is causing it in your particular case, and then finally a suggestion:

The "10053" error is often not something to worry about; it's just a warning (I'm not saying it's not necessarily something to worry about in your particular case; I'm just talking in general, and will talk about your particular case later).  What it means, typically, is that the LOR Control Panel has noticed that the LOR Comm Listener has shut down.  That sure sounds like something to worry about, but the reason I'm saying it's often not is because the Control Panel is designed to automatically restart the Comm Listener in this situation, and it generally does so quickly.

So now why did the Comm Listener shut down? Unless it actually crashed for some unexpected reason (and I doubt that it did in your case), then it did so intentionally.  Basically, the Comm Listener expects to be constantly receiving messages telling it to keep running.  If it doesn't receive such a message within an acceptable amount of time, it decides to shut itself down.  This is how "Unload Light-O-Rama" works: The Control Panel shuts itself down, and therefore no longer sends these "keep alive" messages to the Comm Listener.  After a little while without having received such a message, the Comm Listener then decides that it's time for it to shut itself down, too.

So that's the normal situation for why the Comm Listener would shut itself down.  But in your particular case, you did not "Unload Light-O-Rama".  So why did it decide to shut itself down in your case? Well, again, the answer is (I believe) that it stopped receiving these keep alive messages.  Sometimes when a lot of stuff is going on, it simply doesn't get the messages for a while, and eventually decides (incorrectly) that it's time to shut down.

So what is "a lot of stuff is going on"? In your case, a large sequence is being loaded.  If you look at the log message, it took sixteen seconds to load that sequence.  This is more than enough time for the Comm Listener to decide that it's time to shut down, and you then see the 10053 warning (which, remember, is basically the Control Panel saying that it has noticed that the Comm Listener has shut down).  Soon thereafter, the log shows "Connected to DMX Listener" -- the "DMX Listener" is just another name for the Comm Listener -- meaning that the Control Panel has automatically restarted the Comm Listener up again to recover from the situation.

So, with all that said, here's the suggestion:

You should consider using compressed sequences.  Unless you have a real reason for not using them, you should use them.  They are much, much faster to load than regular sequences, and so loading them won't lead to these big pauses during your show, and also won't take long enough that the Comm Listener winds up deciding that it should shut itself down.

You can read more about compressed sequences in the help file, here:

http://www.lightorama.com/help/index.html?compressed_sequences.htm

You should consider using compressed sequences.  Unless you have a real reason for not using them, you should use them.  They are much, much faster to load than regular sequences, and so loading them won't lead to these big pauses during your show, and also won't take long enough that the Comm Listener winds up deciding that it should shut itself down.

You can read more about compressed sequences in the help file, here:

http://www.lightorama.com/help/index.html?compressed_sequences.htm

I, of course was going to use compressed sequences, then remembered reading somewhere (don't know where) that they were only used by the Showtime Director...I will switch over to using the Compressed Sequences right away.

Thanks Bob!!!

When mine happened two nights ago, it was during the load process since I have the options set to load "before" sequences are needed. The show ran fine after that.

I saw that my sequences were all of a sudden taking FOREVER to load, so I switched it to "load before sequences are needed". Should I switch it back? Which is better?

I had this same error on Saturday. Someone suggested applying the 4gb patch to the LORMonitor file. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama.LorMonitor.exe). I did this and haven't had any issues since.

Do you need this patch if you have Version 3.11.2?

Edited by jimswinder
  • Like 1

Where do you get this patch?

Edited by jimswinder

Hopefully you patched the LORmonitor.exe as well as the SE.

Just the Monitor...

Ok...NOW the SE...anything else??

Edited by jimswinder

I patched all .exe files in the new release when the release first came out. I am still having the problem. :huh: Jim.

guys remind me again, one handed typing is a pita. the 4gb patch is applied to just the lor.exe in which directory. thanks. it is only that one exe, correct?