Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 Updates: Will we get them soon?

Ron Boyd

My personal show was something like 2300ch. Even though I used some non-LOR products, I drew it as all LOR devices in the viz. This way I could take advantage of the CCR tool and not go over the limit. I created 2 sequence channels config. Both exact same except for one was for the viz, and the other was the actual seq I used in the show. Once I finished with the seq, I would just copy and paste to the show seq. I also used NC, SS and little of Madrix although not much....need more time to learn. But nothing beats manually seq with LOR. Way more control, but to manually create these same effects in LOR that takes NC to make....right now I would need to start on the 2020 show :-)

Guess the question I have is that the update coming... are you going to have to have Superstar? I agree with the writer that NC is a effects tool more than a sequencing tool. If their update (NC) vastly improves it's sequencing...I may move. But it is going to need to make leaps and bounds to catch up with what I know on LOR. I used NC to make a clipboard copy of the effect...and pasted it in. That did work great. Sure wish I could see what it looked like ahead of time. My pixel tree alone crash vis (2880 channels).

My personal show was something like 2300ch. Even though I used some non-LOR products, I drew it as all LOR devices in the viz. This way I could take advantage of the CCR tool and not go over the limit. I created 2 sequence channels config. Both exact same except for one was for the viz, and the other was the actual seq I used in the show. Once I finished with the seq, I would just copy and paste to the show seq. I also used NC, SS and little of Madrix although not much....need more time to learn. But nothing beats manually seq with LOR. Way more control, but to manually create these same effects in LOR that takes NC to make....right now I would need to start on the 2020 show :-)

Kevin, I've actually been doing that since late 2013. The problem with mine is, I have a ton of stuff that don't add up to 50 pixels. 125, 128, 136, etc. I use the DMX keywords for the import into Superstar, but that renders the visualization useless. Sure, I can see it in SS, but not with the other elements, so timing is a guess at best.

The visualizer right now is the main thing I need plus a step up on the SS license. I have the 40 CCR, but that would have only exported a little over half of the channels I had last year. This year's show, if I don't add anything else from here on out, will have over 15K channels. Even the rumored 80 CCR license will not do 15K. Just my 2 pixel trees alone will have 4800 channels this coming year, 3k on one and 1800 on the other. 

We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

I am still learning the visualizer and what it can do. I feel sure I will run two viz screen this year to watch my show. Channel count will go through the roof with the matrix I am making. Making plans for a fiber optic tree now. Hope it turns out good. Running around 23k of channels and adding 15000 more channels. Fingers crossed.

Jeff

Ok,

But I ask the same question. Will you have to have Superstar software in order to see your pixel tree on visualizer?

Ok,

But I ask the same question. Will you have to have Superstar software in order to see your pixel tree on visualizer?

There is never a time when you "need" superstar, now I've used it and really like it, but it's certainly not required.

There is never a time when you "need" superstar, now I've used it and really like it, but it's certainly not required.

I guess I should rephrase it. In other words in order to see a pixel tree of large counts (mine is 2880 channels) in vis. do you have to have the Superstar software?  I want to be able to see my creation in vis. , doing what it is suppose to do, along with all of my other props in vis. I reached the max channel count early on in my creations. I do have the Advanced license.

I guess I should rephrase it. In other words in order to see a pixel tree of large counts (mine is 2880 channels) in vis. do you have to have the Superstar software?  I want to be able to see my creation in vis. , doing what it is suppose to do, along with all of my other props in vis. I reached the max channel count early on in my creations. I do have the Advanced license.

No superstar won't change anything with the visualizer, a lot of people use a ccr fakeout, basically it lets you see your pixel tee in visualizer as CCr's and saves you on the count. I haven't gotten to that point just yet, but others know how to do it

No, visualizer works fine without superstar. It is superstar that needs visualizer. You import your display into superstar from the visualizer.

Ok. I know it will work without vis. Will the CCR fakeout do the correct spirals, bars, etc that you do in the pixel trees?  I saw that post on the fake out but just didn't have the time to work out details for the tree. Will type details later on how I used my pixel and mega sequences as one...with a little spice throw in with effects from NC.

My analogy for Superstar is this:

If you're building a fence, are you going to use a hand saw? No? Probably going to get at least a circular saw and maybe even a table saw to get the job done. If you're going to want single pixel control and take a fraction of the time to create a sequence, then Superstar is a fantastic add-on. If you're doing a couple of arches and a couple of candy canes, then Superstar is probably overkill. My show is over 15K channels this coming year. As Kevin said above, if I did not have Superstar, I would be sequencing for the 2020 show this year. It would take me that long to create the effects I would like to have. NC is only a go to for element level effects. Superstar for large displays, to me, is invaluable.

• Like 1

MMmmm. You need to go look at what NC is offering for 4.0. I bet before long (if it doesn't already) it will allow full house model effects.

I know LOR and want to stay with LOR. I guess I don't want to spend $300.00 on the upgrade. Free? No. That is not what I am saying. Cheaper? Yes.

Being a band director for 29 years, I have seen many software companies for music writing come and go. The one I use currently (Finale) is pretty much industry standard around the world for writing sheet music. I can remember when there software was almost $600.00. It really didn't take hold until when they started offering a deeply discounted price for educators. Even then many of us are turned off when they started doing upgrades for $149.00 and then tease you later with a $99.00 offer. Took it and it wasn't even a year when they upgraded again....for that $149.00 offer. Haven't upgraded since.

Look at what Adobe started doing. Offering their software for a "subscription" based type with free upgrades. Apparently this is the thing to do since MANY companies are jumping on board with this model (Microsoft to name another). If LOR went to something like this, and things were updated regularly, I may jump on that vs. a $300.00 or more price tag. Look at the majority of the hobby and you won't find the recent "Pixel People" around the world going with Superstar, you find them moving to NC.  

Like I said before, I love my LOR software. When it is working, I can sequence fast with the best of them. I am just wanting my to step up my game without killing my very limited budget...as most of us have :-)

Thanks LOR for the support of the hobby. If it were not for you, I wouldn't be a "Christmas Light Fanatic" :-)

Robert Burton

https://www.facebook.com/BurtonChristmasLights

https://www.youtube.com/user/BurtonChristmasLites

http://burtonchristmaslights.weebly.com/

Edited by Robert Burton
  • Like 1

Well said! FYI NC can do whole house effects already with there "Whole House" models. I might be right behind you. 4 More weeks and I move on...

So 3.12.2 was released today! Does this update do anything for the sequence editor or is it only for the SS update to 60 CCR's?

So 3.12.2 was released today! Does this update do anything for the sequence editor or is it only for the SS update to 60 CCR's?

Looks like it is just the SS update -

What's New in Version 3.12.2

New SuperStar license level: 60 CCR

SuperStar now supports a new license level for up to 60 CCRs.  The highest previously existing license level supported up to 40.

What's New in Version 3.12.0  

Edited by htebault

I just order 180 lbs from China (Ray). I will build the second visualizer file just for viewing the roof and new tree's. In my case I have the CCR's and RGB channels in the same sequence so I can build it, watch it them move up to regular channels. This year once I complete one I will remove all the visualizer stuff out of each sequence. I will be waiting on the update from LOR but my backup plan is Xlights to run it.

I will start building the props Feb 7th which will be 162 sticks of emt 16 feet long with 50 pixels per 16 feet. Close to 27 uni's just for the roof and the 682 has been ordered. Fixing to be pulling a bunch of zip ties. LOL.....

Yeah, sorry about that. To everyone who thought it was the new updates and to LOR. When I re-registered my S3, my SSE did not update from 40 to 60 CCRs. I questioned it and I assume, caused the new version. Bob said thanks for bringing it to his attention, but I still feel bad about getting everyone's hopes up and creating more work for Brian and LOR to include the 60 CCR version.