Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie - First Show programmed by our 13 y.o. autistic son

MrBookworm

Our 13 year old is autistic and into weather, 4th of July, and CHRISTMAS LIGHTS. We bought a 16 channel controller and he decorated the house mostly by himself. This is a sample of his first sequence to Carol of the Bells. He finished doing Let It Go, but I haven't had a chance to take video yet.

I had fun showing him how to make extension cords using SPT-2. I added a couple of 20 amp circuits to our panel and will be running conduit to the other side of the house soon to add another controller or 6. Set up the FM transmitter last night as well, bought it off of Amazon per the recommendations here. Thinking some single channel RGB light strings will be next so we can keep the lights up for all the holidays.

Anyway, here is his first effort: http://youtu.be/yIsDshozgEE

Dean

• Like 1

Excellent!!! Please tell him I said so  :) His first effort...bet he's hooked already. Very much looking forward to seeing more of his work. My adult daughter is also Autistic so I do have a clue. She's high-functioning as is your son. I only wish she was here where I live to chance seeing how she might do with the sequencing. Again, very nice high-fives for him!!!

I agree - most excellent!  That's a lot of dedication from someone that age.  Not to mention the fact that his sequencing is better than an awful lot of people twice his age or more.  You have every reason to be proud!  I, too, am already looking forward to what he does in 2015.

• Like 1

I will show him all of your comments, thanks!

I would like to get some input. He is doing the sequences without the visualizer. I know we all process and learn things differently, especially with autism. Does everyone after some experience use the visualizer or is it something that is a personal preference? I couldn't imagine doing sequences myself without it, but I don't want to push him to use something if it may not really help his producitivity.

I got it working on a second computer, so technically it won't be a problem setting it up for him.

Dean

Edited by MrBookworm

I think it is one of the best tools that LOR came out with and should be of great help because he could see the results as he completes parts of the sequences. If it is done right it looks just like its a video of your house with the lifgts on.

Edited by EARLE W. TALLEY
  • Like 1

Absolutely lovely. I get the honor of being the "buddy" to an autistic child in a certain place I volunteer at. Watching him learn, grow, and understand what he is doing is LIFE-ALTERING. He has changed me so much and I'm proud to be his buddy. Please pass on my congrats to him for learning and programming the show by himself. He is a rockstar.

He did an awesome job!  I'll admit, his first attempt was a lot better than my first, umm, better than my second attempt too!  Congrats to him and here's hoping we see many more down the road!  :D

Big props to him. I'm still messing around with that song for the past few months. . You should deff be proud. Thumbs up. Looks great.

I think you should have him use the visualizer for programming the sequences as he can use that all year. Getting him into the hobby and actually seeing the lights turn on, is cool and a boost to his initial interests. When all the videos start getting posted, have him look at them so he can get more ideas of what can be accomplished with the tools at hand.

We asked him about the visualizer last night and he wanted to wait on it. He played around with it at first and said it is easier for him to see it in his mind and the visualizer was a bit much. He explained that he thinks about stuff visually. He did see some things he could improve with the sequences he has already done after seeing them run live on the house.

Dean

PS: Here is Let It Go, it should be accessible with or without a Facebook account:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205211238184182&set=vb.1342760037&type=2&theater

Dean,

That's some great sequencing your son is doing!!! Great timing and placement of the elements.

I don't use the visualizer either as I'm used to the animation screen since 2006.

The Facebook link didn't work for me.

Again, great job to your son!!!

Tom

Says its not available...bummer. I know what you mean about him visualizing it. I listen to a song, the in my head, I picture the lights running to this or that. Then, get busy to actually making it run. But the visualizer allows me to see what I'm doing in the process and if I don't like it, I change it! Doesn't hold a candle to seeing it run outside of course.

That great!!!! Tell your son great job and looking forward to his next creation. My Autisic son loves our lights and he is 12 looks like im going to see if he wants to try and progam.