Light-O-Rama Forums

1 Chan stays on even when unpluged from Networ

kevin

Equipment setup:

CTB-16PC, Dual power

Issue: Channel 12 stays on all the time

Details: I can take this controller, unplug Chan 9-16, unplug Network cable, and channel 12 stays on all the time. I plugged Ch 11 cord into the Ch 12 spot and the problem stayed on boards chan 12. That tells me that the plug-in cords are not at fault.

Voltage read-out when all channels are in Off, Network cable unpluged.

Ch 9: 11.9 volts
Ch 10: 12 volts
Ch 11: 12.6 volts
Ch 12: 117.3 volts
Ch 13: 12.3 volts

Yes it appears that the Triac is stuck in the ON position.

I have re-downloaded the Firmware, I have Changed Unit IDs. Neither helped.

I don't know how to reset the PC version boards though (no dial indicators)

This is a replacement board that was sent out to be because the other one was doing the same thing.

All these test were done with the single board inside on the lab table. Not part of the network or using any of the display lights. I have ruled out Plug issues, Light issues, Power supply issue.

What next?

If you've had this happen to two boards, I'd look at what's causing it. Triacs will fail if you short them out, or if you overload them too much. What do you have on the affected channel?

-Tim

8 foot section of Rope light...

works fine when pluged by itself.

It is a 3 wire rope light that I have seperated into 2 channels. Sharing the common wire, and 1 wire for the Red, and one wire for the Green.

kevin wrote:

8 foot section of Rope light...

works fine when pluged by itself.

It is a 3 wire rope light that I have seperated into 2 channels. Sharing the common wire, and 1 wire for the Red, and one wire for the Green.

Were the same channels failing on your original board? If so, I'd suspect an overload or short with the rope. 8' doesn't seem like an overload, but I'm not up on my ropelight power requirements...

-Tim

no overloads. The new board was a differant channel. I swaped triacs and now I have a board that works good. I think all this was caused by a loose strand of wire on one of my channel plug-in cords, I'm thinking maybe it touched something. I cut that single wire off now and have double checked all my other connections.

For future referance.. How do you reset a CTB-16PC since there are no dials to set to 'O"? and the HW Utility does not have a Ch 0 setting?