Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 3.12 and MP3g3 Firmware 5.28 not playing the show correctly

machtoo

I have submitted a ticket but figured I would post to see if anyone else has run into this.

I upgrade to 3.12 yesterday and upgrade my 1602MP3g3 Show Director to 5.28 this morning.

I created a test show of several sequences.  My sequences use both networks one for my LOR controllers and the high speed for the 12 ribbon tree.  I had performed several successful test shows this week before the upgrades.

Once I plugged the SD card in the normal init message appeared but when the show started it jumped around and finally settled in on a sequence that was out or order from the way the show was created.

Needless to say this was very disconcerting.  I have asked whether I should return to the older firmware and S3 software.

Friday everything ran fine with the previous version of S3 and the default version of the show director software.  After the upgrades... big issues.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LOR Staff

• lightzilla

• atver

• Eric walls

Hello Machtoo,

How are you?

I did firmware upgrade yesterday, also problems to start triggered shows correct.

I returned to previous version of the firmware this morning, all seems ok. Even with S3  3.12 hardware util created memory cards it seems to run ok for now, so I suspect the firmware or maybe we did miss something in the manual  ( rtfm  )??   But I do  not think so at this moment.

Lichtjesdick

The Netherlands

I did not see your ticket, so one of the other techs must have picked it up.

I want to take a look at what is going on with that show.  Please eMail me (mike @ lightorama.com), so we can set up some kind of file transfer.  I'll need your LMS files, the MP3s, and then exactly how you set the show up (all the options/etc).  I'll also see if I can find your ticket and re-assign it to me.  In your eMail, pls include the ticket number so I can find it.

You are aware that there were some pretty big changes in both the firmware and how the cards are written correct?  For example, The HWU now looks at the first sequence to determine what is going to be written to the card for each port, as well as the fact they can output DMX now, correct?  The HWU will tell you on the final screen what will run on each port.

Mike, someone responded to the ticket today asking that I drop off the sequence files.  The ticket number is #233561. I have been using the same subset of sequence files this past week to test the system  Everything was working fine until the upgrade of the firmware.  This was also the first run using sequences opened and saved in 3.12.  I read the release notes.  They did look like some beneficial changes if they improve the throughput.  I run dual networks on the MP3G3.  Network 1 has 22 controllers (all G2 except for the new MP3G3.  The Aux network is set at 500K and runs the 12 CCR controllers.  Every sequence is a combination of the 22 and the CCR tree.  Only issue until  the upgrade problem was decreasing complexity of the fan effect in the CCR sequences as they would bog down and halt the show for a bit if they were too complex (too many blades, colors, revolutions, etc).  I replaced most all fans with a different effect and this seemed to clear that issue.

Just need much higher network speed and more memory or processor in the MP3G3 to handle complex effects.

Thanks for the quick response I can assist in testing this week as I am off, but Friday the show is scheduled to light off for the season.  Hopefully the firmware downgrade will fix things in the interim.

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon

It has been awful quiet about this issue. Is it a firmware problem ?  And if so,  is a solution in the make? I did ran my first show 5 days at the Christmasfair on older firmware without any error, but the newer firmware promises some advantages I like to be able to use.

Or is it something I did wrong that caused the G3MP3 to behave bad on the interrupt switches?

see my earlier post:     http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/33719-g3-mp3-v528-and-audio-distorted-whe-triggered/

Lichtjesdick

The Netherlands

I too am having the same problem.  Ran My Halloween show fine but when I upgraded to the new firmware the sequences jump around, sometimes start, or skip.

I selected the 500K option for the bandwidth speed, and "strip unnecessary info" for the MP3 files.  I'm thinking of rewriting the show on my card and selecting the 56.7K bandwidth, and not selecting the option to strip the extra information off the MP3 files.

I am also having the same issue

I have spent many hours digging network cables out of the snow , thinking it was me

I have just downgraded to 5.26.

The show will start in about an hour, let you know how it works.

Steve

Show appears to be running normally with thr 5.26 Firmware

Still has a few minor issues with some odd pixels staying lit until next action for that pixel.(Not keeping up??)

Also some issue with .las amimations I use in between shows not running correctly

Much better than 5.28 though, hope they fix it soon.

Steve

Looks like I spoke too soon

Ran for 1 cycle and total screw up

I don't know what to do now, show is completely down

Does anyone know about resetting the G3 MP3 box

One instruction says push reset button - No reset button that I can find

Other instruction says it will reboot after firmware installs, I do not see this happen time stays on screen the whole time ??

Steve

Last update for tonight

Turns out the Troubleshooting of the original problem caused the total failure after startup

My checking of all network connections caused a secondary problem. didn't quite click one all the way in.

Bottom line

5.28 firmware will not work with my setup of 2 500mb networks

running:

25 ft Mega tree with 12 CCB systems(24 strands) and 2 CCPs - 8 row globe

4 CCRs - Arches

6 - 16 Chan controllers

5.26 does seem to work correctly, all is in sync and plays correctly

This does push the Show Director to the max

Perhaps we go to PI Player next year

Fingers crossed this will get through this season, No more upgrades for me in any December from now on .

Steve

I had problems with the new firmware too, I think they have some bugs to fix. It kept skipping songs and/ or playing just art of that song.

I reinstalled the older 5.26 firmware and it's been running perfectly now.

I am having similar problems with the 5.28 firmware upgrade. I upgraded my G3-MP3 to the newest firmware last Friday and now the director plays the sequences out of order and also switches to another sequence in the middle of a sequence randomly. I have changed back to the 5.26 firmware and hoping all works OK tomorrow night.   

• 3 weeks later...

I had to go back to version 5.26 as well.  I also had to go back to V1.16 for my ccp controllers. When I updated the firmware to v1.18 the controllers worked fine but when I went to reset one controller it wouldn't reset. (the test patterns never showed up). So I tried 2 more ccp controllers & they wouldn't reset as well, so I went back to 1.16 & sure enough the controllers reset.

I had to go back to version 5.26 as well.  I also had to go back to V1.16 for my ccp controllers. When I updated the firmware to v1.18 the controllers worked fine but when I went to reset one controller it wouldn't reset. (the test patterns never showed up). So I tried 2 more ccp controllers & they wouldn't reset as well, so I went back to 1.16 & sure enough the controllers reset.

I will see if I can duplicate the CCB/CCP reset issue in the lab.  This would be the first time we have heard of that.

The 5.28 director firmware issue is still being looked at.  We have been unable to duplicate the issue in multiple different labs.  We have even gone as far as having users return entire setups that were not functioning properly, but when they arrive they work properly.  This is leading us to believe that there is some external influence that causes the MP3 director hardware/firmware to do something unexpected.  That is making troubleshooting a bit difficult as you can imagine.

Thanks for working on it. I don't think the 5.28 version has worked for anyone. It will skip,songs or start a sequence and then stop after a few seconds, and skip to the next one. After I reinstalled the older 5.26 version I din't have any problems at all.

Let us know if we can be of any help, must be frustrating to try and figure it out.

Eric walls