Light-O-Rama Forums

Sandevices E682 and Internet issues

Caleb Linburg

Well that explains the router.

Your PC is at 10.0.0.10 and your SD is 192.168.0.206. Entirely different networks .. (post #6)  

If you put the SD on the 10.0.0 network you wouldnt need the router however I still think you are going to see some major performance issues with your home network when you fire this up.

Bob

PS... Although a moot point now .. I led you wrong on the ARP command .. its arp -d , i think i gave /d ... my bad ..

I'm pretty sure now that your cables are good.. Also .. unless you have a specific need for it .. I would turn off IPv6 on the PC .. it will sometimes get in the way ..

Edited by bob_moody

I will change that tonight. Totally makes sense as to why it would do that. Im not good with networking stuff, so thanks for taking a look. 

Could I do 10.0.0.206 ?

Also, my home router is 192.168.1.1, that connects after the switch. Should that be moved to like 10.0.0.1

Edited by Caleb Linburg

Interesting ... let me make sure I understand ...

Your home network is on the 192.168.1 network

Your PC is on 10.0.0 network

Your SanDevice is on 192.168.1 network

Will this PC... as it sits right now talk to the home network (can you get to the internet)?

We alredy know if you plug the SD directly into the PC it wont work (because of 2 different subnets.  10. trying to talk to 192. ) which explains the need for the extra router . It also apepars that the 10.0.0.10 address on your PC was issued as a DHCP address from (some) router which confuses me a little on the home network being 192.168.1.1

Unless.. the extra router you added, and turned off WiFi is still acting like a DHCP server and that is actually where the PC got the 10.0.0.10 address from and not from your main (original - home network ) router which again would explain a lot of why nothing on the home network side is working and why the router is needed for the SD and why the PC is on a completely different network..

1. Plug the PC into the cable for you home network and reboot it...

2. Run IPconfig /all again and see what the IP address is

3. If it is now a 192.168.1 address .. then the main router gave it a DHCP load and it should it communicate with the Internet.

4. If its still a 10.0.0 address then look at the home network setup and see what the WAN and LAN configurations look like.

5. If #3 is true, then take the extra router out (the one with WiFi off) and plug the cable from the SD into your switch

5. Plug the home network into your switch

6. plug your PC into the switch ..

7. If I'm guessing right .. now everything is on 192.168.1 and you should be able to manage the SD and get to the internet.

NOTE: Again, I can almost assure you that when let this off the chain .. its going to beat your home network performance into the ground ...

I wholeheartedly suggest a trip to Walmart, Office Depot (If I actually found your web site and understand where you live, you should be able to locally find an inexpensive NIC card. )

Add the card and set up a new static network on it ... 192.160.10 for example.

Set your SD to the 192.168.10.206 if you want .. anything from 1 to 254 for the last #

Set the new nic for

192.168.10.1/255.255.255.0

You really dont need a GW ..

Add the static route I gave you .. this will force all Multicast traffic to the new NIC and keep your home network free of extra traffic ..

You should .. at this point be golden ..

Bob

Edited by bob_moody

Interesting ... let me make sure I understand ...

Your home network is on the 192.168.1 network

Your PC is on 10.0.0 network

Your SanDevice is on 192.168.1 network

Will this PC... as it sits right now talk to the home network (can you get to the internet)?

We alredy know if you plug the SD directly into the PC it wont work (because of 2 different subnets.  10. trying to talk to 192. ) which explains the need for the extra router . It also apepars that the 10.0.0.10 address on your PC was issued as a DHCP address from (some) router which confuses me a little on the home network being 192.168.1.1

Unless.. the extra router you added, and turned off WiFi is still acting like a DHCP server and that is actually where the PC got the 10.0.0.10 address from and not from your main (original - home network ) router which again would explain a lot of why nothing on the home network side is working and why the router is needed for the SD and why the PC is on a completely different network..

1. Plug the PC into the cable for you home network and reboot it...

2. Run IPconfig /all again and see what the IP address is

3. If it is now a 192.168.1 address .. then the main router gave it a DHCP load and it should it communicate with the Internet.

4. If its still a 10.0.0 address then look at the home network setup and see what the WAN and LAN configurations look like.

5. If #3 is true, then take the extra router out (the one with WiFi off) and plug the cable from the SD into your switch

5. Plug the home network into your switch

6. plug your PC into the switch ..

7. If I'm guessing right .. now everything is on 192.168.1 and you should be able to manage the SD and get to the internet.

NOTE: Again, I can almost assure you that when let this off the chain .. its going to beat your home network performance into the ground ...

I wholeheartedly suggest a trip to Walmart, Office Depot (If I actually found your web site and understand where you live, you should be able to locally find an inexpensive NIC card. )

Add the card and set up a new static network on it ... 192.160.10 for example.

Set your SD to the 192.168.10.206 if you want .. anything from 1 to 254 for the last #

Set the new nic for

192.168.10.1/255.255.255.0

You really dont need a GW ..

Add the static route I gave you .. this will force all Multicast traffic to the new NIC and keep your home network free of extra traffic ..

You should .. at this point be golden ..

Bob

Will a usb wifi card do the job?

Dont see why not .. how its connected isnt an issue ..

You can setup the USB Wireless card to access your Home Network (I am of course assuming you home network has wireless access) and then the hardwire used for the display ..

I think the instructions given earlier still apply ..

set the Wireless to talk to your Home Network ..

Set the onboard NIC with a Static IP on a different subnet ..

(all described above .. )

and I think your troubles will fade away ..

Bob

Glad I got a Motherboard with two Ethernet connections.   Love this board as there is no issue with internet.   There isn't many MBs out there that have this.  

Bought the wifi card last night and had so many issues getting it setup. Read online that many others have had the same issue with this model. It is going back tonight so I can get a new one. Also, my tester does test the order of the wires, and the cable the whole way is good. Removed the router, plugged it into the switch again and can't get it to recognize it (Its like I forgot to plug the other end in). Even tried with my laptop and turned the wifi off. Cant access the sandevices page or control the lights. If I go out to it and use a short cable, it works fine. Has me so confused. 

Edited by Caleb Linburg

What was the IP of the laptop? ... your introducing new levels of potential issues ...

Please take a look at post #25 again try that ..

Laptop --> Short Cable --> SAN --> works

Laptop --> Long cable you made --> SAN --> Does NOT work ..

Edited by bob_moody

Update: I have been working with Caleb (offline) and we did find several issues with his setup.

1. He could not see any network devices but they were basically working. Solution: Performed a registry edit to delete the network adapter config and when it reopened the config was recreated and he could see the NIC.

2. His machine, it seems, at one time had a second NIC that was bridged and the remaining NIC still thought it was in bridge mode. Solution: Delete the NIC and reboot. The system found the NIC and added it back correctly.

We tested using a static IP on the PC directly to the SD. Was not able to ping the SD ...

At this point we are looking at the cable ..

Bob

Edited by bob_moody

Bob and Caleb,

The straight answer is that you need a crossover cable to go from 2 client devices.  That said however, generally you don't anymore.  Almost all modern networking devices will auto crossover if needed.  All it takes is one or the other to do it automatically and they will connect.  Just look for the connect light on the devices (color varies between devices).  If a light comes on at both ends when a cable is plugged in between them (assuming that there is a light on his PC - the SanDevices does have one for connectivity), than you have connectivity.  There is a test mode on the SanDevices cards that will blink one of the LEDs to display the current IP address.  I don't have my docs in front of me so I can't remember how to do it, but it's pretty easy to do (did it for one of mine a couple weeks ago and it does work).

Thank you Bob for taking point on this one.  I was going to get on the phone with Caleb on this as I pretty much am a networking expert and have 4 SanDevices cards in service, but I've been way too busy the past couple days to have an extended phone call.  Glad someone else jumped in for him.

Hey Jim,

right after i posted I pulled the PDF on the SD and found that a cross over cable is not needed (which is why I edited that out of my question... )

I'm glad I can help. He did have (as mentioned) several little issues with the PC.. but I think those are worked out..

he is making a new cable and a familymember found him a second NIC card that we can run the SD off of and isolate the Multicast traffic from his home network.

Waiting on him now ..

Appreciate the feedback Jim ...

Bob (KC5HFI)

Edited by bob_moody

SUCCESS !!!!!!!

Okay... we managed to get everything working (network wise anyway...)

It seems the problem (after all the other little issues ... see above..) was the cable from the SD back to the PC.

Caleb was able to secure a wireless card for his PC and get it set up to connect to his internet, then we set up the wired NIC (Static IP .. different network) to the SD through his switch and finally added the persistent route for all the mutlicast traffic to his SD.

A long post for what (besides the PC issues) was a simple cable.

I have to give kudos to Caleb for sticking with it and not fearing making some pretty interesting changes to his machine.

For a young man, he was polite, appreciative and eager to work the problem through ..

So now, Caleb can move on with his show.

Hats off also to Jim (K6CCC) for stepping in and offering to extend his expertise in networking.

We are all busy this time of year, but this was really a feel good moment to help a young man out and follow it through.

Merry Christmas to all ... and to all "Happy Lights!!"

Bob

I just wanted to thank you Bob for all the time you spend helping me with getting the display. It is incredible how much you know about networking and various computer things. (I thought I was good before). The show is working great now, and the rest of my family is happy to have stable internet throughout the rest of the house. lol. Can't wait to start the Christmas season.