Light-O-Rama Forums

Cold weather

Wayne K

I don't know about everyone else, but this has to be the coldest I have ever put up my display. I know some of you up North may be used to the cold, but here in N.E. Indiana it is 19-20 degrees and with a 23 mph wind it is -3 degree wind chill right now. Brrr.

Also this morning the neighbors probably thought I was crazy. We got about 2 inches of snow last night, so I took the snow blower to the yard so I could continue to work today since I am on vacation. It worked well.

• Like 1

A snow blower for two inches of snow? Surely you jest ...

If you did that around here your neighbors would never stop laughing.  :D

Also this morning the neighbors probably thought I was crazy. We got about 2 inches of snow last night, so I took the snow blower to the yard so I could continue to work today since I am on vacation. It worked well.

AWESOME!

We're all crazy according to our neighbors....

Might as well put the snow blower in your show...

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

A snow blower in the show now you got me thinking. I think we got to a balmy 10 degrees here today (time to break out the shorts)

13 degs and windy as heck like -3 wind chill or so. all I need to know is I need to find some different zip ties as I keep breaking them because they are to cold. package says only good for 32 deg 

I know what you guys mean. I'm here in Southern California and I was working on my display with a Tshirt and shorts on and I had to put a sweatshirt on once it dipped into the high 60's tonight.

I really feel your pain. Hopefully I can avoid the frostbite.

I'm with you Shawn (about 30 miles NW of you). Spent most of the weekend in a T-shirt working on putting stuff up.

From the NWS for tomorrow (while I will be putting the GECEs on the eves):

TUESDAY

SUNNY IN THE MORNING THEN BECOMING PARTLY CLOUDY.

HIGHS IN THE UPPER 70S TO MID 80S.

Hope I don't ge a sunburn...

Sorry guys, just gotta rub it in. Oh wait a minute, I'm not sorry at all - there is a reason that I live here...

• Like 1

One benefit of being north of the 49th. Snow covers cords nicely. I started setup in late October to dodge the cold. Zip ties, cold weather and cold fingers are a bad combination.

• Like 1

Been quite a change going from PA to GA.  While it's not as cold in PA as it is in MN or places like that, it gets plenty cold, especially since I lived near the foothills of the Pocono Mountains.  This time of year, high temps in the 30s and nights in the teens aren't all that uncommon, plus a good gusty wind to go with it.

My first fall/winter in GA and what a difference.  It's been in the 60's mostly.  We are now in the grasp of the cold air mass hitting most of the country.  It was about 24 when I got to my car this morning.  But the difference...I got a phone call from the school district with an urgent warning for parents to bundle their children because below freezing temps were expected.  Seriously?? 

Got 4.9 inches of snow and windchill near 0 here in Cincinnati.  Topping a record set way back in 1920.  I'm using this time to complete a few projects indoors.  This weekend back to the 50's & 60's - however that is to come with nearly an inch of rain.  I'm not sure which is worse, frozen hands or a muddy mushy yard?  Either way it has to get done.  So mother nature be damn, the show goes on.

I know what you guys mean. I'm here in Southern California and I was working on my display with a Tshirt and shorts on and I had to put a sweatshirt on once it dipped into the high 60's tonight.

I really feel your pain. Hopefully I can avoid the frostbite.

You put on a sweatshirt when it dropped into the 60's....ooooohhhh how cute!....lol 60's is shorts and t-shirt weather here....lol

A snow blower in the show now you got me thinking. I think we got to a balmy 10 degrees here today (time to break out the shorts)

Someone get an animatronic of Johnny 5 " Hey Laser Lips, Your Mama was a snow blower" (From Short Circuit)

• Like 1

I am done setting up and now have 4" of snow to hide all the extension cords.

I have learned how to dress for the -20C (-4F) weather.

BUT next year I want to set up in Sept. 

I got three days to complete the display.  The dang Wind has been a witch here all month long here.  Thank the Gods I have Thanksgiving "OFF" (as of now) to get things done

Tom Straub

-23 Celsius (-9.4 Fahrenheit)  right now & we had 1.5ft of snow all Thursday & overnight. I was glad I got done Monday Night. Now I need to shovel the snow off the display on Saturday. Just to let folks know you never really get use to the cold or the snow. However after 2 or 3 weeks of -30 Celsius ( -22 Fahrenheit) tempts around 25 degrees Fahrenheit feels warm.

Edited by lightzilla