Light-O-Rama Forums

Running show and Sequence editor at same time

lkinsey

Is it possible to see the animation in the sequence editor when a show is running?

If not, it would sure be a nice feature.

This way I could monitor my show from inside my house without having to go outside to see if it's running properly.

Also, why isn't "LOR" acceptable in the spell check?

I wouldn't trust that even if it were there... the computer could be happily drawing the animation and something could be wrong with the comm network -- false sense of security...

Also animation takes a fair amount of CPU that I'd rather have dedicated to making sure the show runs properly. But as long as it's optional, I wouldn't mind, I'd just switch it off :)

-Tim

Hi Tim, I ran a little test on performance to ascertain cpu usage.

The show and the Sequence editor (without animation) took 5 % or less each.

The animation added to the Sequence show however took as much as 90 %, surprisingly, so you have a point.

LOR 2, however is claimed to fix this degradation so that should no longer be an issue.

I don't have the confidence you have in trusting the show to run without errors as I've had one system crash and misc. problems. They could possibly all be attributed to me but the point is I would like more assurance everything is going without having to peek out the window or worse, turn the music up. After all the editing and then the godzillion times of listening to it, I can no longer tolerate the sound being on constantly.

I would be content on having the sequence show without the animation. It'd be very convenient to just glance at the monitor to see it running.

I also have mechanical animation in the yard and it would be nice to see those channels in the sequencer to know when the animation will take place.

Of course this wouldn't be a verification that each string is still operating or that all controllers are responding properly but seeing the sequencer on the monitor would give me a 95% assurance that all is well.

lkinsey wrote:

I don't have the confidence you have in trusting the show to run without errors

Actually, that wasn't my point. My point was that just because an animation was playing on the screen, doesn't mean that lights are actually going blinky-blink outside. For example, Robin's problem would almost certainly look correct if there were an animation available in the show controller...

About all you'd be able to ascertain is that the computer thought it was controlling something. Whether the lights were blinking, and whether the music was playing, would still be anyone's guess... After all, if software had no bugs and cables had no glitches, we wouldn't have to even worry about whether it was working or not...

-Tim