Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you approach your sequencing

Bowshock

Just wondering how you all sequence songs. Do you do one song track (drums, guitar, voice) clear though or do you sequence a block of time (say what fits in a window) and then move to the next?

Thanks!

I tend to do one track at a time. Sometimes I'll work on one area of the display at a time, for instance I'll do just the window wreathes all the way through the song, and then go back ans start on another area.

D.T.

I usually do display areas completely through the song. I don't tend to sequence by musical part (drums being the bushes, guitar the trees, etc). If I have different display elements interacting, I sequence those portions at the same time (e.g. sometimes I'll "feature" the mega-tree, and have other stuff darker, sometimes I have our arch fence doing stuff, then trading over to our rope mini trees which are right behind the arch fence...

I'm really digging the tracks and beat wizard of LOR II as I have some channels (4 channels of icicle lights, 2 channels of split-rail fence, etc) that I often just want to react to the major beat of the song, and that makes it really easy...

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

I usually do display areas completely through the song. I don't tend to sequence by musical part (drums being the bushes, guitar the trees, etc). If I have different display elements interacting, I sequence those portions at the same time (e.g. sometimes I'll "feature" the mega-tree, and have other stuff darker, sometimes I have our arch fence doing stuff, then trading over to our rope mini trees which are right behind the arch fence...

I'm really digging the tracks and beat wizard of LOR II as I have some channels (4 channels of icicle lights, 2 channels of split-rail fence, etc) that I often just want to react to the major beat of the song, and that makes it really easy...

-Tim

I'm still trying to figure out how to use the VU/Beat wizards to save time and tracks I just can't get my noodle around yet. I'm sure it will come at some point.

Kenj30

I started in LOR I earlier this year, then I made the switch and I've had no trouble what-so-ever.

If you haven't started sequencing yet, I would probably go out and try to find some "ready made" sequences and adapt them to your display. I did that for one of my sequences and it really help me out.

Where are you in Glendale? I'm just off Olive and the 101.

I'll first listen to the song many times through to get the feel I want for the song. Flashy, fades, blocks etc . Then I go thru and tap out my beat track, which will be done for me with LORII. Next come the house lights. I will do the house lights pretty much all the way thru the song. If I know some overall effects that I want to do in certain parts, I will fill them in as I go.
Then I go back and start to work each area, Front yard, side yard, reflector tree, leaping lights, mini trees, Marty fan and strobes. Again when I have an area where these will interact with each other, I will often fill them all in for that section of the song.

Finally it's go back and tweak, tweak, tweak.

I'm just north of Cactus and 51st Ave. Hope to have the lights done by Saturday. I'm about to go make myself extension cord poor. You think you have a lot of cords until you start running cords to 32 different things individually. I've got a better idea of what's involved for next year so planning will be better as well. I'm still curious, would you guys recommend us newbies going straight to LOR II since we don't have any time invested in LOR I?

kenj30 wrote:

I'm still curious, would you guys recommend us newbies going straight to LOR II since we don't have any time invested in LOR I?

How much of a gambler are you? So far some have used it flawlessly, some have used it with a few hitches, and some are having terrible problems with it.

I'm planning on using it, but have enough sequences to roll back to LOR I if necessary... Without that "Plan B" I don't think I'd feel comfortable...

-Tim