Light-O-Rama Forums

Networking slowing down why?

Garry

Last year when running over 500 channels on songs with many cues, color change, & effects the system seamed to slow down and loose control. I was using a USB485B converter Booster but only ONE out let of the 2 on the back. We had out about 1000ft of CAD5 wire hooked up to the one outlet with a few WHY's  in the system.

Now for this year I have made a 12 String Light O Rama CR150D DMX Cosmic Color Ribbons, should I hook that to the second outlet on the back of the USB485B Booster so not to interfere with the other 500 plus channels? 

Running on a Dell D600 Latitude Pentium 1700MHZ, 1 GB RAM, XP operating system, laptop computer, using Light O Rama version 3.8.2.

Garry

Look into adding another LOR network for some of the CCR's  (2nd USB 485).  If you are doing a lot with the CCR's that is a LOT of data going down one line.

12 CCRs on a network will almost certainly cause major issues.  +1 on the second network.  You might even try bumping up your network speed to 115K.

I would recommend getting the usb485-hs. The normal recommendation is 6 CCRs or fewer per adapter. The usb485-hs can handle 12 (or more) per adapter.

George,

Good to hear from you again as I have been out with health issues the last 1 1/2 years.

On my version 3.8.2 of LOR there is only 3 options for network speed they are: Average (Recommended), Long Range (Slower) , & Short range (faster)

Which setting is best for the12 -  CR150D DMX Cosmic Color Ribbons?

I will be purchasing the usb485-hs today.

I do have 3 of the USB485B Booster so could I try 3 networks?

Would upgrading LOR help the speed issue?

I don't believe that there is a limitation on the number of networks depending on license level, however you can't see the 500K speed option because your version 3.8.2 was released prior to the 500K speed being introduced.  In order to support 500K speed, you will have to upgrade to a newer version (sorry I don't remember which version introduced the 500K speed).

Also, in your first post you mentioned that there are several Ys in your cabling.  This is a no-no with an RS-485 network.  Although you MAY get away with it, the standard recommendation is to not have any Ys in your network.

If it were me, I would leave your 500 channels on the existing network and clean up the cabling so there are no Ys, and then add either one 500K network for the 12 CCRs or two 115K networks with 6 CCRs on each of the two new networks.  I am adding 300 CCPs for 6 arches this year and added a 500K network for them.

In order to support 500K speed, you will have to upgrade to a newer version (sorry I don't remember which version introduced the 500K speed).

FYI - 3.9.0

Thank you for the upgrade software number information, now just wondering how much the upgrade cost?

Will the firmware in the controllers need to be upgraded to get the faster speed?

Will the firmware in the controllers need to be upgraded to get the faster speed?

No. The CCR's are just fine with 500K speed. With conventional LOR controllers, only the newer G3 units will run at 500K. Older models are limited to max 115K network speed.

So you are saying when I receive the new usb485-hs place that on the new CCR's network, BUT the software should be upgrade to 3.9 or newer so they can take advantage of the faster processing speed?

All of my 35 plus controller are more than 3 years old and most likely not G3 will they run faster then in the past with the new software upgrade?

In the past I have had issues with strange anomalies happening when many effects where taking place in a short span of time, I hope this fixes that problem?

I doubt you'll see any difference at all in the older controllers. They might feel more manly and capable, but it won't show on the outside.

The anomalies you describe are consistent with an overloaded network. Adding one or two more networks should totally cure that problem.

So you are saying when I receive the new usb485-hs place that on the new CCR's network, BUT the software should be upgrade to 3.9 or newer so they can take advantage of the faster processing speed?

The reason you are having to upgrade the software is because the 500k speed simply isn't an option in versions of software before 3.9. You could run the USB485-HS adapters using an older version of software, but they wouldn't run at 500k, and you'd still have the same problems.

And ditto everything George said.

I am ran 12 CCR's last year. I am using the usb 485 iso. I used 3 networks. It worked fine. This year I added 4 more CCR;s and also upped to 4 networks. Will see how it works tonight when i get ia all out today.

I have updated to LOR 3.11.2 software and ordered the new faster USB485-hs. But have not checked to see if the controllers are feeling more manly from the software upgrade yet??

Guys, easy question. I am running 8 networks, regular for 8 controllers. AUX A for 1-6 of CCR tree. AUX B for 7-12 CCR tree, aux C for 4 CCR arches, aux D for 4 CCR poles. I just changed roof from 3 channels of LED strings to the dumb ribbons nine of them on two boards. Everything works until I add another network for the third SET of dumb ribbons for my windows and floods. The windows slow down or don't play, what is the max number of ribbons I can use? I've read that the new usb 458-hs will compliment the higher speeds will this help my situation?

• The topic was locked