Light-O-Rama Forums

move LOL box or add extention cords

nunofernandes

Guys I have a bit of a dilemma... third year LOR'r but first year in this great big house of mine. I have two 16ch controllers which I think I want to mount near the electrical plugs on the wall outside. It has ample shade from the weather and pretty close to most of the decor.

Box one is running the lights on the house, so almost everything is within 50ft or so. Box 2 is running 6 channels up the driveway and a few items on the front lawn. Here is where I am not sure what to do...

The run from the driveway to the existing LOR box location is about 130ft times six runs (one for each channel) is that cool?

Or am I better off locating the LOR box on the front lawn somewhere and shortening the extention cords?

I have 1000ft of 18awg zip cord and connectors ready to start making extentions to the driveway but I am just not sure that is the best way to go. By the way, each channel on the driveway will be under .5 amps...

Your thoughts?

If I put the box in the lawn, what is my max length in Lan cable I can run from box one?

Move box.

I think cable distance is 100 meters max. Can someone please check me on this?

I go 150 feet on 1 leg with a daisy chain beyond that. Never had a problem

tj

I keep my controllers as close to the elements they are controlling.

I do this for ease of the length of cabling when setting up and tearing down. It's much easier to wrap up and spread out one 100' extension cord versus wrapping and unwrapping multiple 100' cords for the displays/props.

If you have a way to secure the controllers (chain & lock, stakes or what ever), then keep the controllers close to the elements.

Just my thoughts and experience since 2005.

Move box.

I think cable distance is 100 meters max. Can someone please check me on this?

I go 150 feet on 1 leg with a daisy chain beyond that. Never had a problem

tj

The spec for RS-485 is 4,000 feet max.

The spec for RS-485 is 4,000 feet max.

A lot of that has to do with speed, stubs, and quality of wire and signal.  Keep in mind also that the distance limit is for the entire run, not just from one controller to the next.  These are not repeating controllers. 

The LOR protocol is not very high speed so pretty sure that is not a limiting factor here... so with all else being "stellar"  would could get close to that max... but I wouldn't push it.  :P

• The topic was locked