Light-O-Rama Forums

tower stacker leaping arch in RGB

JPTXPilot

I was thinking about adding a few light tower stackers to my display for some vertical interest.   I'm wondering if anyone has done these using RGB (or has done RGB leaping arches).  I'm curious for some feedback on what you've learned.  I think RGB would give me greater control options but would love feedback from someone who has gone down this road already.

I decided to make the leap to RGB/DMX and followed some of Gary's advice at www.holidayrgb.com on greating RGB leaping arches.  I just made mine into towers instead.  To make the towers, I went to Home Deport and bought some rebar to use as my vertical stability.  Then I bought some garland and started zip tying it to the rebar so it looks like a garland branch in the day.  I also found some awesome RGB clips at Seasonal Entertainment (call Pix Clips) that attach RGB nodes to just about anything.   I've got mine on horizontal T's that I connected to the rebar using JBWeld to connect.  It is all hidden by the garland.  I'm running a 27 channel board (3 RGB Nodes per section of my towers - each tower has 7 sections for a total of 21 RGB nodes).  To make is simpler to sequence, I have connected all the node groups in each tower to each other and then to the controller (for instance, section 1 of tower 1 is connected to section 1 of tower 2, then to the controller).  I'll probably eventually change this, but with tweaking my sequences now, I needed something that will get me a little more time.

I did have quite a challenge getting DMX working.  I used Holiday Coro's ActiDongle.  It wasn't anything with the equipment, but just putting all the different pieces together.  Eventually after about 4 hours of messing around, I got it to work.  It is completely worth it now that I can see all of the possibilities for changing colors at a whim.  However, I think I will add RGB where it makes sense.  I have a lot of LEDS in my display (omnidirectionals) and I really like them.  RGB's are a pretty neat technology and will certainly complement the rest of my display. 

• The topic was locked